JessN: Clemson wrap-up: Tigers were less dynamic, and Bama made them pay for it

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I watched the TV broadcast for the first time last night. Etienne was really a liability for them in this game. It's funny because much like we said with Derrick Henry in his freshman and sophomore years Clemson fans have been begging Dabo to play him more this year. In the biggest moment he had at least three kickoff returns which set them up in horrible field position. As you pointed out he also did a poor job in pass protection. I read that our average field position was our own 41 and their's was their 24 or 27. That right there is probably one of the largest factors in the game. That field position situation happened without Scott even having one of his better games. Kickoffs really put them behind the ball for most of the game.
We previewed them as having ST issues in our pregame write-up. Our only kickoff that Scott hit at 100% was his last one. I believe that to be on purpose. For all the hand-wringing over Alabama's actual PK situation, the coverage teams are probably best in the country this year. That Alabama was able to consistently bury Clemson behind the 20 on kickoffs had a demoralizing effect, and I believe Scott was told to kick inside the 5 on purpose to set that up. Somewhat a risk, but it worked beautifully.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We previewed them as having ST issues in our pregame write-up. Our only kickoff that Scott hit at 100% was his last one. I believe that to be on purpose. For all the hand-wringing over Alabama's actual PK situation, the coverage teams are probably best in the country this year. That Alabama was able to consistently bury Clemson behind the 20 on kickoffs had a demoralizing effect, and I believe Scott was told to kick inside the 5 on purpose to set that up. Somewhat a risk, but it worked beautifully.

With D Watson, pinning them deep didn't matter. With K Bryant, it completely limited their play calling. I've watched the game three times since its original broadcast. Their playcalling on the drives that started inside the 25 was basically with the mindset of "Let's not turn the ball over and punt out of this situation." Zero confidence in Bryant on that part of the field.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.