Will the government ban human driven cars?

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
So self driving cars will be here one day. This article looks at the possibility of a ban on human operated cars due to the higher numbers of accidents involving human operators.

Do we need a constitutional amendment guaranteeing the right to drive?

By the time 20 to 30 percent of vehicles on the roads are fully autonomous, Lutz argues, officials "will look at the accident statistics and figure out that human drivers are causing 99.9 percent of the accidents."
Also, will the market place force us away from the wheel?

n any case, most folks will probably switch voluntarily to hiring self-driving vehicles on demand—not just because they're safer, but because using them is projected to cost as much as 75 percent less than owning a car. It will be interesting to see how much liability insurance will cost folks who still want to drive on public roads in world where automobile accidents will have become very rare. Don't be surprised if it's the market, not the government, that ends up "banning" human-driven automobiles.
They will never take my car!!!

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Well consider this.

There will come a point at which most teens have never seen their parent drive a car except on rare occasions and they themselves aren't put in a position where driving a car consistently is a necessity. People are absolute garbage at driving as it is and they have to do it all the time. So what happens when we start getting generations of people who didn't see much driving and don't want to or need to do much driving and then are still allowed to manually operate the car if they want?

It's a very real possibility. They won't be able to outlaw it outright because there are still a ton of legitimate reasons for a human to take control of a car. Unmapped areas, off road or undeveloped territory driving would be impossible for this version of self driving cars and the sensors currently employed wouldn't be good enough. Just last week I was driving out to look at a parcel of family land way out in the woods that was only accessible using old, untended logging roads or old stage coach roads. Not sure they want to get into all that just yet.

But I can see human operation inside a metro area being outlawed. Look at Stockholm (it is Stockholm, right? The one with all the bicycles where folks can't use cars?)

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Well consider this.

There will come a point at which most teens have never seen their parent drive a car except on rare occasions and they themselves aren't put in a position where driving a car consistently is a necessity. People are absolute garbage at driving as it is and they have to do it all the time. So what happens when we start getting generations of people who didn't see much driving and don't want to or need to do much driving and then are still allowed to manually operate the car if they want?

It's a very real possibility. They won't be able to outlaw it outright because there are still a ton of legitimate reasons for a human to take control of a car. Unmapped areas, off road or undeveloped territory driving would be impossible for this version of self driving cars and the sensors currently employed wouldn't be good enough. Just last week I was driving out to look at a parcel of family land way out in the woods that was only accessible using old, untended logging roads or old stage coach roads. Not sure they want to get into all that just yet.

But I can see human operation inside a metro area being outlawed. Look at Stockholm (it is Stockholm, right? The one with all the bicycles where folks can't use cars?)
lots of citys have special permit zones where you have to pay large fees to go in an out or congested zones during peak times. I suspect that is how they will handle this. If you chose to drive your own you must have the appropriate permit to do so, etc.

Personally I love driving, love driving on the track or just roaring around the twisties but I also am really looking forward to self driving cars. Be nice to be able to just nap, work, surf the net, watch a movie, whatever and let the car do everything. Make going between my houses a lot easier and more enjoyable

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I highly doubt that the experience of driving will ever be completely eradicated. Too many people love the experience but there will absolutely come a point when driverless cars en masse are safer than human operated vehicles. There is no question that we will reach that point.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
lots of citys have special permit zones where you have to pay large fees to go in an out or congested zones during peak times. I suspect that is how they will handle this. If you chose to drive your own you must have the appropriate permit to do so, etc.

Personally I love driving, love driving on the track or just roaring around the twisties but I also am really looking forward to self driving cars. Be nice to be able to just nap, work, surf the net, watch a movie, whatever and let the car do everything. Make going between my houses a lot easier and more enjoyable
it's going to suck for me as i can't read or watch anything while in a car, and unless i'm exhausted, i can't really nap.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
We'll all be fending off radioactive mutants with spears and stones before we have to worry about a ban.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
So the government will be in full control of the vehicles transporting us. What could possibly go wrong??? #bluefont

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Let the market handle it.

There's no law against manual chokes, yet they are practically extinct. They're unnecessary.
There's no law against manual transmissions, yet they're still extant in smaller numbers. They have a limited applications

Especially on sliding scales where one size doesn't fit all, the market is still the go to tool for determining an item's necessity.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I would imagine that manufactures of driverless cars will not sell them but lease them like GM did with the EV1. These cars would have to be maintained properly and updates to software done on time. Nothing could be deferred or postponed for liability reasons. I would think the manufactures would be self insured as well. Now a smaller market share of conventional cars will raise the price and reduce the options of models available. Would the only option for those who wish to drive be a driverless car with a steering wheel and foot pedals that are not connected mechanically but by wire? And if the computer doesn't like what you are doing it will take over? This is what happens in the Airbus airliners. Soon the number of those who know how to drive will be similar to the number of who know how to saddle a horse.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.