TV Teddy Valentine Did a Masterful Job in the UNC-FSU Game

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
College officiating has gotten worse and worse every year. They seem to want to affect the outcome more and more. They have no accountability to anyone. If you complain they basically blackball you by conveniently ignoring fouls on one end while calling everything on the other. I remember when Grant was the coach, he sent a tape to the conference office and he complained about Valentine. We didn't get another call al year from anyone, not just him. I have no problems when it called tightly or loosely, but I want it on both ends. In the Vandy game, they called us for far more shooting fouls and they took advantage. Shows missed a call at the end while reviewing the out of bounds, but conveniently forgot to look at the Vandy players foot which was out of bounds. This might have changed the outcome of the game. The game against Texas was just awful. Bomba could do anything he wanted with complete impunity. It was the same in the Arizona game for Ayton.

It is time the refs were employees of the NCAA so they could be at least accountable and consistent. As it is now, one crew calls a game on one night totally different than they call it for the next game. Players have no idea of what to expect from game to game.

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
College officiating has gotten worse and worse every year. They seem to want to affect the outcome more and more. They have no accountability to anyone. If you complain they basically blackball you by conveniently ignoring fouls on one end while calling everything on the other. I remember when Grant was the coach, he sent a tape to the conference office and he complained about Valentine. We didn't get another call al year from anyone, not just him. I have no problems when it called tightly or loosely, but I want it on both ends. In the Vandy game, they called us for far more shooting fouls and they took advantage. Shows missed a call at the end while reviewing the out of bounds, but conveniently forgot to look at the Vandy players foot which was out of bounds. This might have changed the outcome of the game. The game against Texas was just awful. Bomba could do anything he wanted with complete impunity. It was the same in the Arizona game for Ayton.

It is time the refs were employees of the NCAA so they could be at least accountable and consistent. As it is now, one crew calls a game on one night totally different than they call it for the next game. Players have no idea of what to expect from game to game.
Could not have said this better myself!!!! Been my exact complaint for a long time.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Valentine should retire.....or at least be fined for such antics.

At the very least he's been called out on this - it's all over the Internet....what a disgrace!

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Good news.

Referee Ted Valentine says he is considering retirement in wake of latest controversy

Veteran referee Ted Valentine is no stranger to controversy. Ever since he ejected then-Indiana coach Bob Knight from a game in 1998, Valentine has been one of college basketball’s most recognized and villified officials. He is also one of the most respected, which is why he has worked 10 Final Fours in his career, including last year’s semifinal between Oregon and North Carolina.
While most officials prefer to maintain a low profile, Valentine’s exuberance on the court and penchant for confrontation has drawn him much unwanted attention as well as the nickname “TV Teddy.” Most of the time, he has accepted the scrutiny with perspective and relative good cheer. Yet, during a telephone interview with The Fieldhouse Saturday night, Valentine expressed frustration about the criticism he received as a result of his decision to turn his back on North Carolina point guard Joel Berry II during the Tar Heels’ loss at Florida State Wednesday night. He even went so far as to suggest he might walk away from the profession he has worked in for nearly 30 years.
“I’m thinking about retiring,” Valentine said. “I’ve had enough of people blowing up stuff. I think I’ve had a stellar career, and I think it’s time to get ready to walk away.”

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
TV Teddy, and his too big ego, was not selected to ref any games during March Madness, claims "it's not fair." Karma!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
This quote tells you all you need to know about TV Teddy:

“I think I’ve had a stellar career, and I think it’s time to get ready to walk away.”

Humility at its finest. There will be tears on my pillow the next morning we he finally does retire....not.

Maybe Teddy and Shows can get matching rocking chairs at Del Boca Vista’s Home for Retired Basketball Officials. They can rock away while telling each other how “stellar” they were.

I’m sure the resident physical therapists will stay busy though. Both will be making frequent visits because of the shoulder dislocations they suffer from “patting themselves on the back” so often.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
This quote tells you all you need to know about TV Teddy:

“I think I’ve had a stellar career, and I think it’s time to get ready to walk away.”

Humility at its finest. There will tears on my pillow the next morning we he finally does retire....not.

Maybe Teddy and Shows can get matching rocking chairs at Del Boca Vista’s Home for Retired Basketball Officials. They can rock away while telling each other how “stellar” they were.

I’m sure the resident physical therapists will stay busy though. Both will be making frequent visits because of the shoulder dislocations they suffer from “patting themselves on the back” so often.
Teddy already has shoulder issues from years of treating charge calls like his opportunity to put on an Oscar winning performance.

Last edited:

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Little known fact: Valentine and Shows are both alumni of the Eric Gregg Officiating Academy. Other graduates include the entire roster of referees in WWE.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I saw a Tweet where Jay Bilas is defending him. Bilas just seems out of touch with reality on this issue and many others.

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
I've always had a problem with the set up of now the NCAA goes about officials. They have zero accountability for anything on the court. Let's see if the shot goes in, and if not I will call a foul. Well, I didn't call the foul, but the ball went off the offensive player. I'll just give them the ball out of bounds to make up for not calling the foul. Oh I missed a call and the coach is yelling at me? Let's give them a T for trying to show me up. Oh, the coach is at the podium after a loss and talking about 3 blatant missed calls I made, and has review to back up his case? The NCAA has my back and will fine or penalize the coach/school for talking about me negatively. No one is hitting my pocket book for missing a call! What a dream job- whatever I say goes no matter what!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.