Sessions ending policy allowing states to legalize pot without federal interference

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
AP LINK

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is rescinding the Obama-era policy that had paved the way for legalized marijuana to flourish in states across the country, two people with knowledge of the decision told The Associated Press. Sessions will instead let federal prosecutors where pot is legal decide how aggressively to enforce federal marijuana law, the people said.
A few thoughts:

- This is just terrible policy. In states that legalized pot, opioid-related deaths decreased (LINK), crime rates dropped (LINK), school funding increased (LINK, this is a billion dollar industry after all), and teen use did not increase (LINK).

- This is a bad political move. If there is one thing that would break Millennials from political apathy and get them to the polls, it's pot legalization.

- It's a betrayal of supposed conservative principles. The so-called "party of state's rights" is dead.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
AP LINK

A few thoughts:

- This is just terrible policy. In states that legalized pot, opioid-related deaths decreased (LINK), crime rates dropped (LINK), school funding increased (LINK, this is a billion dollar industry after all), and teen use did not increase (LINK).

- This is a bad political move. If there is one thing that would break Millennials from political apathy and get them to the polls, it's pot legalization.

- It's a betrayal of supposed conservative principles. The so-called "party of state's rights" is dead.
party of States Rights has ALWAYS been a joke. Recall that it was Reagan that withheld highway funds to force states to change their drinking age, the GOP is only for States rights when it suits them and has always been

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I am confused on how all this is supposed to work and may be getting off topic. The executive branch's job is to enforce the law.

The federal law needs to be changed via congress rather than having presidents and their appointees deciding what to enforce and what not to enforce. Of course, getting congress to accomplish anything may be asking too much which I guess is where the executive branch gets off on making its own rules.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The federal law needs to be changed via congress rather than having presidents and their appointees deciding what to enforce and what not to enforce. Of course, getting congress to accomplish anything may be asking too much which I guess is where the executive branch gets off on making its own rules.
Agreed. I strongly believe Democrats need to immediately add support for legalization into their platform. The majority of the population supports legalization, and I cannot overstate how much of a winning issue it is among Millennials. They will be the largest voting block in the next election, and they skew predominantly left in the current political climate. The issue with that generation has always been turnout. Dems need to stop struggling to figure out how to get young people to the polls and take this political gift Sessions just gave them. Make this their abortion.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
that was good

Though I fully expect a very high profile arrest and prosecution of someone in the next few months if not sooner in a legal state, likely California as that would pass the ".... off the libtards" test that they so love in Trumplandia even if many Trumpies are actually pro-pot
The tax bill was designed to hurt blue states, this is one more thing to hurt predominantly blue states.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
party of States Rights has ALWAYS been a joke. Recall that it was Reagan that withheld highway funds to force states to change their drinking age, the GOP is only for States rights when it suits them and has always been

No it wasn’t. That bill was introduced by California Democrat Glenn Anderson - when his party controlled the House- and the whole withholding of state highway funds came from NJ Senator (and liberal Democrat) Frank Lautenberg. I doubt Reagan could have withheld anything - doesn’t Congress appropriate funding?

Yeah, Reagan signed it but I’m guessing the 81-16 Senate vote was enough to override a veto.

It’s not that I disagree with your central point. That bill was opposed by the Conservative Party of NY (James Buckley).

But let’s face it - everybody wants to write laws for other people to have to follow, which is why all those Obamacare exemptions were granted to people more likely to vote Democrat. It’s why abortion banishment will never work (if they did the GOP excepting of rape, there would suddenly be a massive increase in the number of women claiming they were pregnant by rape).

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
This move by Sessions kinda fits the "burn it down while we have the chance" mindset the GOP showed with their tax bill. They knew they had screwed the pooch with the public, and decided to ram that bill through while they still could.
I expect the legal training Sessions has had is telling him they are all likely headed to real trouble, so let's get as much crap rammed through before they catch up to what we've done.

I hope Session's criminal trial is televised, and when he's convicted, they follow his direction, and throw the book at him.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This move by Sessions kinda fits the "burn it down while we have the chance" mindset the GOP showed with their tax bill. They knew they had screwed the pooch with the public, and decided to ram that bill through while they still could.
I expect the legal training Sessions has had is telling him they are all likely headed to real trouble, so let's get as much crap rammed through before they catch up to what we've done.

I hope Session's criminal trial is televised, and when he's convicted, they follow his direction, and throw the book at him.
yeah, i hope bilbo bigot goes down in flames.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.