Game Thread: Bama vs ga

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Is it bad coaching, overrated talent or just too much youth?

No one tries to pull up and shoot a jumper somewhere between the three point line and the rim. Jones just made another turnover driving himself into trouble.
Talent is there, youth is there, I’m not smart enough to comment on the coaching - though usually optimistic.

I am concerned whether now that we have the talent, and for the most part a complete team in all positions, how the results we’ve shown in (gulp) several losses now impact us long term if at all...we have to step it up somewhere for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RKel32

All-SEC
Nov 17, 2004
Madison, AL
It’s coaching.
This. Tired of seeing us run offenses that don't match our personnel, defenses that actually help the other team emphasize their strengths, make bad substitutions, and fail to improve over the course of the season. Other teams call timeouts and call set plays, confident they'll get a good look. I'm most confident when our guys don't run our sets and just improvise.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Missed the first half. Wish I missed the second. That was rough and ugly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Love Sexton and our young talent, but Avery hasn't brought them together just yet.

Sexton, as good as he is, doesn't set up his teammates like he should. He tries to do too much with his dribble when he needs to take the short range jumper or 3 more often.

And we are not going to beat many folks if we don't develop a decent inside post game. Trying to do it all with Sexton driving into the lane with the trees or with outside jumpers. Only way you win like that is at home and when the shots are falling.

RKel32

All-SEC
Nov 17, 2004
Madison, AL
Love Sexton and our young talent, but Avery hasn't brought them together just yet.

Sexton, as good as he is, doesn't set up his teammates like he should. He tries to do too much with his dribble when he needs to take the short range jumper or 3 more often.

And we are not going to beat many folks if we don't develop a decent inside post game. Trying to do it all with Sexton driving into the lane with the trees or with outside jumpers. Only way you win like that is at home and when the shots are falling.
I think you highlight the problem with the coaching. We haven't recruited or developed a competent inside scorer under Avery, and I don't see that changing. Avery knows the PG position, but I'm not sure he has the ability or anyone on his staff that can adequately coach that position (All played PG, SG, or SF). I don't blame Sexton for being aggressive. This is a Ben Simmons at LSU situation.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
So so disappointed in our effort. At this point, we are not a tourney team. This team is not playing hard. Sometimes you don't win, but our fundamentals are not there. Simple block outs, careless turnovers, and poor shot selection. We have good inside players, it we don't get it inside.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
So so disappointed in our effort. At this point, we are not a tourney team. This team is not playing hard. Sometimes you don't win, but our fundamentals are not there. Simple block outs, careless turnovers, and poor shot selection. We have good inside players, it we don't get it inside.
Haha, I agree; we are not a tournament team. Many times we are just bad.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
"We were not confident, offensively." Can't argue with that one, either, Coach.

I seem to recall we obliterated this team, last year, and it was pretty much the same team that we played today. Something is not right, for us to have regressed this far.

I am starting to remember the short tenure CAJ had for the Mavericks. I hope this doesn't follow the same pattern.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Only 11 shot attempts between Hall, Giddens and Smith which isn't good but then they only scored on 3 (Hall 3-6). The team needs some production from these positions.

Of course, shooting from everywhere on the court was pretty bad as well. (hit 29.8% FG with 17.4% on 3's)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I could not keep watching it. I am as puzzled as many of you are. We have to play more D. We won and were in games last year with our defense even though we were challenged scoring. We are at a point where this team could go one way or the other and I'm now leaning toward a bad outcome.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
I think you highlight the problem with the coaching. We haven't recruited or developed a competent inside scorer under Avery, and I don't see that changing. Avery knows the PG position, but I'm not sure he has the ability or anyone on his staff that can adequately coach that position (All played PG, SG, or SF). I don't blame Sexton for being aggressive. This is a Ben Simmons at LSU situation.
We haven't developed an inside scorer since the Gottfried days. J. Green was more of an all-around spot up shooter/cutter. The last guy we had who could confidently score with his back to the basket down low was Hendrix and Chuck Davis maybe even more effectively before him. I was hoping bringing Pelphrey in would change that, but nada so far.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.