Is this CNS best coaching job yet at Bama?

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I might say yes if I can ever get the sour taste of the api game out of my mouth.
(Crimson colored glasses here.)
I'm having to step back at take a different approach as to the api game. With all of the injuries Bama had been beset with, and some of those injured finally coming back to play, they were not completely healed for that game. With so many of the pundits asserting that up to that point, with the way the teams that would be probable for playing under certain circumstances, Bama would still have a reasonable chance to make the playoffs even with a loss to the barn. Bama did not need to play all out to win that game. And if they did, while still recovering from the previous injuries (and no telling how many more injuries if Bama played all out, and let's face it, many on here have said how they seemed to play uninspired), then they would have had to play Georgia. Instead, Bama played a lackluster game, lost, healed up, and still wound up in the CFP's. Perhaps the odds were being played, perhaps not. All I know is, any *u fans I meet say anything to me, I'm going to tell them how CNS played them like a fiddle (And maybe CKS also). Sounds whacky, I know, but, here we are. ROLL TIDE!

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
What role does clubhouse leadership play in determining if this was Saban’s best job of coaching? Most of my Bama football news comes from this site - don’t have time to peruse other sources and they just disappoint anyway - and this seems to be the first year in a while where I’m not reading about clubhouse leadership. Has that played a role in how hard the year seems to have been?

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Sooooo...not an answer just another editorial on how bad our "O" is...Nice...RTR!!!
#seventeentitles
I agree that the softer schedule helped immensely when you consider the devastating number of defensive injuries and an offense that is still trying to figure out which way to go.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
I believe if we win given the injuries we have sustained all year long it could be considered one of the top coaching jobs.
There are factors that have fallen our way to exacerbate the result. RTR

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Defensively, it is without question his best coaching job.

To sustain the injuries we have, and end the season ranked first in the FBS in rushing defense, pass efficiency defense, and total defense (3rd in passing yards defense -- due largely to opposing teams being forced to pass because of the #1 rush defense) is jaw-dropping.

At one point in the season, 5 of our top 6 LBs were out, and the one who wasn't, was nowhere near 100%. A dinged-up Fitzpatrick, and SDH out really handicapped our defensive communication, yet we are where we are. Simply amazing.

Offensively, we all have our concerns, ranging from quibbles to outright questioning. So I won't go there.

Defensive coaching -- GOAT, given the scope and severity of injuries.
Offensive coaching -- good, not great. I mean, we're in the national finals for the third straight year. They have to be doing something right to get there.

On balance, I still think it is his best, acknowledging some frustrations with the O.

Funny how the offense bailed us out at Miss State. It was all Jalen when the defense could stop nobody. We were singing his praises then. Coach has been masterful all around. So I believe this has been Coach’s best effort yet in relation to injuries, coaches, injuries, turnover, did I say injuries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Overcoming the injuries this season has been remarkable, but I still think 2009 is the best coaching job of the Saban era. So much less depth than recent teams. The top-level talent from CNS's first recruiting classes was there, but he also got the absolute most out of some of Shula's guys (Javi, Eryk Anders, McElroy, etc.). Plus, the win over Florida in the SECC is still my favorite :cool2:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
If we win Monday night... I'll say it's Coach Saban's best performance as a coach.
I BET WE WIN...

I don't remember ever trying to overcome this many key injuries, and still being competitive.

Last edited:

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
I think year by year the difficulty increases. Especially in the SEC. That being said, I think only those people directly involved in coaching would know if this is their best year of coaching. Sometimes it looks like that, but only they truly know where this team started in the spring and where they are now.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
So, under Saban, Bama beats the SEC into submission over a ten year period, then Bama gets criticized because the schedule is soft.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It kind of depends what happens in this game. If the defense plays like they did vs Clemson then it has to be up there. The fact he didn't win the SEC championship game has to ding it a little. I think the defensive performance vs Clemson was the best of the CNS era though.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
There is a lot of danger in this game if you are talking about national perception. If we lose it (I think we will win) then we will not have won anything at all this year and will have lost the championship game two years in a row to the up and comers Clemson and Georgia. Bama will have been bumped down in the pecking order, and with Coach now 66 years old, may have seen our better years under this staff.

If we win then all will be butterflies and roses, Coach is still the biggest badarse in town, and last year was just a fluke and the world of college football still has to go through Tuscaloosa, Alabama to achieve anything.

Overcoming the injuries and the inconsistencies on offense? If it ain't his best job ever it has to be close.

rtr

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
That is just stunning. If you want to win a championship, play for Nick Saban. Awesome for recruiting.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Yah - more than likely I think we can now say it is. With the way he called that game coupled with everything else (even a slightly weaker SEC schedule) it still is. To face the injuries and the distractions from coaching changes and the loss at Auburn and come back and beat the #1 & #2 teams in the country back to back in the way that we did is remarkable.

He really deserves coach of the year IMO. How do you not give it to him? I'm sure the voters will find a way.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
There will be more coming out soon about hidden injuries during the season. Not that I have inside info ... it's just that these stories always come out soon after the season ends + the well-connected Bama beat writers have dropped hints that there was more than met the eye this year when it came to injuries and off-the-field issues.

Most definitely Saban's best coaching job. I'm in awe the team even made it to the championship. Going to savor this one a long time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.