Link: DaRon Payne story from espn.com

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Wow, great read and a long time coming! The kid is dominant and we will really miss him if he goes to the league this year. He really is well spoken and seems like a delightful young man. All my best wishes for him going forward especially tomorrow night! RTR!!!

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Wow, great read and a long time coming! The kid is dominant and we will really miss him if he goes to the league this year. He really is well spoken and seems like a delightful young man. All my best wishes for him going forward especially tomorrow night! RTR!!!
I think he's currently projected as s second round pick and my feeling is that he goes pro after this year. I would love to have him back though

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I expect him to be gone after this year, but I sure would love to see him come back for another year. I sure hope he has at least one more great game tomorrow night.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I expect him to be gone after this year, but I sure would love to see him come back for another year. I sure hope he has at least one more great game tomorrow night.
I think we really need him to stay. But this young man needs the paycheck. His Mom has been such a force in his life and he wants her to be as comfortable as possible. Good kid and I prefer it that way.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I think we really need him to stay. But this young man needs the paycheck. His Mom has been such a force in his life and he wants her to be as comfortable as possible. Good kid and I prefer it that way.
Agree that it would be great to have Payne in 2018. Early round NFL money can do a lot for him and his mom, though. Who can blame him for taking it?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Did anyone get the feeling they were acting like this was his coming out party? Da'Ron has been a top DT for two years now.

He's more than likely gone as he should be. Him and Momma will be happy for a while hopefully once he's a first rounder. Hopefully he goes out a winner tonight!

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Move over Levi Wallace, we have another incredibly feel-good story about another remarkable Bama player.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think he's currently projected as s second round pick and my feeling is that he goes pro after this year. I would love to have him back though
I think if he's an early second round projection, he could possibly benefit (like Jonathan Allen did) by coming back his Sr year and earning him A LOT more money. If I recall, Allen wasn't rated a high or even mid first round pick after his Jr season. He came back and improved his draft status. I'd also caution Payne that outside of being projected as a top ten pick, players are more likely to go later than their underclassmen draft grades. He maybe better off giving himself a cushion by coming back and improving his draft grade. Using the Jonathan Allen example again, even Allen didn't get picked in the top ten after coming back and improving his draft stock. He "dropped" to the Redskins at #17. But A LOT of the "experts" had him in the top ten.

Last edited:

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I think if he's an early second round projection, he could possibly benefit (like Jonathan Allen did) by coming back his Sr year and earning him A LOT more money. If I recall, Allen wasn't rated a high or even mid first round pick after his Jr season. He came back and improved his draft status. I'd also caution Payne that outside of being projected as a top ten pick, players are more times than not more likely to go later than their underclassmen draft grades. He maybe better off giving himself a cushion by coming back and improving his draft grade. Using the Jonathan Allen example again, even Allen didn't get picked in the top ten after coming back and improving his draft stock. He "dropped" to the Redskins at #17. But A LOT of the "experts" had him in the top ten.
Definitely think another year would benefit draft status, I wonder if the driving force will be family needs as to his decision. I couldn't blame him but either way I think he comes out pretty good at least .

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Definitely think another year would benefit draft status, I wonder if the driving force will be family needs as to his decision. I couldn't blame him but either way I think he comes out pretty good at least .
Oh no, taking care of family would be completely understandable. Just from a "football" perspective, I think he'd benefit from one more year.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Oh no, taking care of family would be completely understandable. Just from a "football" perspective, I think he'd benefit from one more year.
Definitely, I think he would be a first rounder for sure next year. Personally, I think he's underrated this year, his stats don't tell his story.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Definitely, I think he would be a first rounder for sure next year. Personally, I think he's underrated this year, his stats don't tell his story.
Selfishly, I'd love to have him back for him to team up with Davis (#99) next season. Could you imagine the "beastiness" going on with those two in the middle?! Gives me a warm "tingly" feeling up the inside of my leg just thinking about it. LOL! :wink::biggrin:

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Selfishly, I'd love to have him back for him to team up with Davis (#99) next season. Could you imagine the "beastiness" going on with those two in the middle?! Gives me warm "tingly" feeling up the inside of my leg just thinking about it. LOL! :wink::biggrin:
Man ain't that the truth, Davis has come into his own just at the right time and Buggs is proving to be a force, a fan can only hope right? RTR

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.