Let’s debate: is that the greatest throw in Alabama football history?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I was trying to think of all the ones I've seen.

But none of them were ever for A WALKOFF NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WIN.

I mean, we can make arguments for others, but, hands down, this has got to be the greatest, most famous pass to date in our decorated history!!!

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I go back a long way.....but considering the circumstances with overtime? I cannot think of one sweeter. Not only did it win the game.....but it was just a beautiful throw and just as beautiful was.....the catch. It shocked me. It was over and I was still in "where do we need to get to for the 1st down?" So right now...it is UP THERE for me. A Namath throw and an Ozzie Newsome snag.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
There's no debate. You can't really make an argument. Other plays might be nice but this was ridiculous.

There is nothing that comes close. Tua looked off the safety and threw a 50 yard rope to hit the WR in stride at the goal line to win the national title in overtime. Nothing comes close. Nothing.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
This was football's equivalent to a walk-off grand slam, in the bottom of the 9th, with a full count and 2 outs to win the World Series. I don't see how it gets anymore dramatic for football. I still can't believe it happened, I must be dreaming.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I think this play has to be in the conversation for biggest throw not only in Alabama history, but college football in general.
There have been many "miracle" plays that might belong in the conversation, but I'm not sure that the deliberateness of the design and the execution don't outweigh such miracles, plus the context gives it a huge boost in terms of greatness.

1) National championship game
2) Overtime
3) Culmination of a second half comeback after being dominated in the first half
4) Long yardage to gain first down after a devastatingly bad play on the previous down
5) A kicker who had just missed what should have been the game winner
6) True freshman quarterback
7) True freshman receiver
8) Gamble on the play call with all receivers going deep
9) QB read to look off the deep safety help
10) perfect throw

One thing that it doesn't have going for it is that it wasn't our last chance, as it didn't happen on 4th down, so the "2 outs, full count, bottom of the 9th" doesn't really apply perfectly. It's more of a "1 out, 1 strike, bottom of the 10th solo home run" which is still pretty great
Also, Tua didn't really have to escape significant pressure or scramble to make the play.
Plus, Alabama was a slight favorite in the game, and not a huge underdog

Great discussion!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Probably one of the most clutch throws in history of my time watching Bama. I can’t speak for the Bryant years.
This trumps the AJ to Cooper in the 2012 SECCG
That 16 yard loss with an agonizing feeling, followed by a 41 yard TD pass that was a feeling of ecstasy! It's funny how you can be so depressed one second and ecstatic a few seconds later.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I was in the Georgia Dome to see AJ to Cooper and the mass exodus of dawg fans after that TD was priceless. That play was #1 until last night.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.