Is this Tua's team now?

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
UGA was not prepared for Tagovailoa. If he had started, surely halftime adjustments would have been made by Smart and company so maybe Bama would have only ended up scoring 35 total points...

Sustaining drives would have kept points away from Georgia.
If you think about it, if he'd had played in the Auburn game and we had won, then we would have played UGA for the SEC championship. I am not sure we would have beaten them that day with our linebacker injuries. He may have started Jalen again to give him another chance, but the team was so tired, we may not have won with Tua that day. Not sure.

It is a blessing in disguise that we lost to Auburn I think. I hate to lose, especially to Auburn. It gave the team time to heal and rest. It also gave Tua more practice reps with the 1st team. I hope Jalen stays because I do love Jalen, but Tua needs to be our QB. Jalen can switch positions if he is willing. I wonder what his Dad thought about last night.

Bama_M.D.

Suspended
Aug 30, 2014
Tua has the ability to distribute the ball to multiple targets quickly. He can get the ball out into space much faster and more accurately than hurts. This opens up the play book and keeps the CB and LBs in coverage opening up the run.

Hurts was great but once a he went up against a "good" D that decided to stop the run and short passes showed up we can see hurts starting to look like jordan jefferson.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Kirby actually said they did gameplan for Tua because they were certain he would play. Now, Kirby might have been trying to save face to keep from having to say "We didn't plan for that." But with Tua in the game we were able to expose the backend of UGA's defense which was discussed by the panel pre game. The question was asked "Could Alabama and Hurts expose the back end of UGA's defense?" The answer to part of that question is yes.
Yes, I suspected they prepared for Tagovailoa but I still don't think they were really prepared. They did play good defense throughout the game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
UGA was not prepared for Tagovailoa. If he had started, surely halftime adjustments would have been made by Smart and company so maybe Bama would have only ended up scoring 35 total points...

Sustaining drives would have kept points away from Georgia.
We were so balanced, though.

In the first half, Alabama had 14 rushing plays to only 9 passing plays.

In the second half, Alabama had 21 rushing plays to 25 passing plays.

Granted, some of those rushing plays were QB scrambles, but I'm not watching the game again right now to specify the scrambles from the designed runs.

The offense was extremely unpredictable in the second half. Not sure halftime adjustments would have mattered.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Kirby actually said they did gameplan for Tua because they were certain he would play. Now, Kirby might have been trying to save face to keep from having to say "We didn't plan for that." But with Tua in the game we were able to expose the backend of UGA's defense which was discussed by the panel pre game. The question was asked "Could Alabama and Hurts expose the back end of UGA's defense?" The answer to part of that question is yes.
That TD before half was a blessing in disguise. If it is 6-0, or 9-0, we don't make a change.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
In the applause for Tua, we need to make sure we don't overdo the expectations for this kid. It's one thing to come into a game as a reliever when the other team probably hasn't had a lot of prep for you... and it's another to face defenses who have devoted a whole week's worth of time to scheming against you. Yes... it's the biggest stage and that certainly is very impressive, but realize he'll face some growing pains next year when he'll be starting games.
BTW, and I want to say this because I was outspoken about my feelings with the QB situation since the Auburn game, Jalen Hurts is all class. To conduct himself the way he did last night after being demoted (on the sidelines and in interviews after the game) speaks volumes to his character. I wish things would have gone differently for his development than they have... but thus far he's handling everything the very best way possible. I wish JH the best going forward - no matter what he deems is best for his future.
Very well said. Both Tua and Jalen are outstanding young men from strong family backgrounds and spiritual beliefs. The unfortunate thing about sports at just about any level is very fine young men are fated to play behind athletes with unique skill sets. Tua is definitely one of those.

We could see Jalen in the Wildcat formation a lot next year possibly! This would present a tremendous challenge to defenses.

With Tua in and Najee behind him and an outstanding set of wide receivers it becomes a tremendous headache for defensive coordinators to cover the entire field.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
And in most situations this is the best thing to do and I'm glad Saban implements this type hierarchy. However, there are players that come along every now and then that forces a coach to go against this rule. Herbie (in a post game convo with Fowler) said Saban had been struggling for quite sometime throughout the season with making the change. Thank the Lord in heaven he stopped struggling with it last night and made the move.
The 1st half was almost the perfect storm for Tua to play. Crazy. Still a little shocked he actually made the move.

Granted, some of those rushing plays were QB scrambles, but I'm not watching the game again right now to specify the scrambles from the designed runs.

The offense was extremely unpredictable in the second half. Not sure halftime adjustments would have mattered.
Yup. We mixed in runs with quick passes and deep shots. It was a complete offense that could attack the entire field. And the scary thing? Is think about how much better its going to get. Tua was insanely close to hitting those 2 earlier deep shots and the one to Ridely would have been a TD. Tua's numbers could have been even more impressive.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The player that Tua reminds me of is Steve Young. I know that is an unfair comparison since Young is a HOFer with multiple Super Bowl rings, but his size, being left handed, the vision and ability to escape remind me of Young.
Good comparison. That left-handed delivery also causes an extra half second of thought and then, with Tua's Snake-like delivery, it's too late...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I confidently say it wouldn't have mattered and here's why. With Tua in the game (and Herbie mentioned this) UGA was forced to backup their LB's and secondary, which loosened up their defense, creating space behind the DL and between the safeties. Tua's ability to throw the ball deep (accurately) forces this move by the defense. They have no choice. Well, they do, but you're basically committing football suicide by doing so with a passer like Tua. Once they were forced to back off it immediately opens up the running game. Hence Harris (#22) all of a sudden finding holes and lanes D Harris couldn't in the first half. Just Tua's presence (and his abilities) on the field severely limit what UGA could do on defense. Especially considering their coverage issues in the secondary and at LB.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The fact of the matter is that the offense, as a whole, has wanted - and requested - Tua for quite some time. Last night, we saw why...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That TD before half was a blessing in disguise. If it is 6-0, or 9-0, we don't make a change.
Wow! I had the exact same thought. I admit that right before they score the TD that I actually thought "If them scoring will cause CNS to make the change, please let 'em score."

I actually thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw Tua go out there at the beginning of the second half.

But like you note, I don't think CNS does that if its 6-0 or 9-0. Probably was the most significant play of the game other than 3rd and 7 in the 3rd Qt. and then of course the game winner.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The fact of the matter is that the offense, as a whole, has wanted - and requested - Tua for quite some time. Last night, we saw why...
And I'm willing to bet those same players weren't shy in letting their voices be heard at halftime, which only reinforced Saban's decision (or possibly made it for him).

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yeah, you could tell by the players' body language who they wanted in there. It was like a breath of life being breathed into the offense when Tua came in. I think the QB situation has been solved and hopefully we turn the page on this and move forward with Tua and build the offense around his talents. The staff would be nuts to try to entertain running a two qb system at this stage. Especially after seeing what it can do with Tua behind center.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm glad you can "officially" say that now. I know it was true too and it became obvious tonight why they felt that way.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I confidently say it wouldn't have mattered and here's why. With Tua in the game (and Herbie mentioned this) UGA was forced to backup their LB's and secondary, which loosened up their defense, creating space behind the DL and between the safeties. Tua's ability to throw the ball deep (accurately) forces this move by the defense. They have no choice. Well, they do, but you're basically committing football suicide by doing so with a passer like Tua. Once they were forced to back off it immediately opens up the running game. Hence Harris (#22) all of a sudden finding holes and lanes D Harris couldn't in the first half. Just Tua's presence (and his abilities) on the field severely limit what UGA could do on defense. Especially considering their coverage issues in the secondary and at LB.
Yep, when I looked at the OU game, UGA's LBs had heels 6-7 yards behind the LOS.

That happened after Tua's 2nd drive. Previously, they had been 2-3 yards in the 1st half.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yeah, you could tell by the players' body language who they wanted in there. It was like a breath of life being breathed into the offense when Tua came in. I think the QB situation has been solved and hopefully we turn the page on this and move forward with Tua and build the offense around his talents. The staff would be nuts to try to entertain running a two qb system at this stage. Especially after seeing what it can do with Tua behind center.
The energy on both offense and defense seemed to change when Tua came in. And I agree, I don't know why you bother with the 2 QB idea unless something changes.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Bama has had plenty of games where the defense was fully prepared for the other teams offense but still managed to make halftime adjustments to improve the 2nd half play. There are things that coaches pick up on that take place in the 1st half that may not have been totally expected or maybe not obvious on film of other games.

Tagovailoa's has a quicker realease than Hurts and he moves up and hangs in the pocket longer which makes the additional time available to make a decision and throw seem like an eternity.

His play definitely opened up the running game.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.