Tua bomb was the greatest single play in Alabama athletics history.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
I've been racking my brain all night and I truly think it's highlight number one in the history of Alabama sports. I've never seen anything like that game. I'm still in disbelief. It's like the exact opposite of how I felt after the 2010 and 2013 iron bowls.
I was thinking the same thing about the play. The beauty of the play, the enormity of it...has to be in at least the top three if not the top.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
There have been more spectacular plays, KD return for TD against Clemson in Championship game or the perfectly executed onside kick in the same game, but this play under these circumstances stands alone at the top of the best Bama plays ever. Simply amazing.

Tua!!! He's gonna be great and be one of those guys known by one name, like Elvis, Shaq, or Pele.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Don't you remember Teague running down the 'Cane player and taking the ball from him?
Amazing play, without question. Had an impact on the game as I think it broke Miami, but it wasn't the clutch, game-winning play just after making a horrible mistake that looked to put Bama in a very bad position.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I tend to agree with you. It was almost the same formation and throw that AJM made to Amari in 2012 to beat UGA in the NC game. But the moment last night was so much bigger, obviously. The only play I can think of that might equal it would be the goal line stand on 4th and goal vs. Penn St. which also won a NC.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I tend to agree with you. It was almost the same formation and throw that AJM made to Amari in 2012 to beat UGA in the NC game. But the moment last night was so much bigger, obviously. The only play I can think of that might equal it would be the goal line stand on 4th and goal vs. Penn St. which also won a NC.
I love that play. I was at that game and remember it vividly. But it did not end the game.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Don't you remember Teague running down the 'Cane player and taking the ball from him?
Do you remember that play didn't actually count? I think we were offsides. It was a huge momentum swing and created a tremendous psychological advantage but I'd have a hard time putting that play above the Tua bomb. Good thing we have so many to choose from :)

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Tagovailoa's explanation to the reporter after the game gave me the impression that he understands the offense pretty well...
Yep, he rattled that play off to the reporter like it was another day at the office. He seems to be one of those qbs that thrive under pressure, Thank God......we needed that!!!

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
We all have those plays that stand out in our memory as our greatest play. This is definitely in the conversation, especially since so much was on the line. But I can't so easily forget:

1) Goal line stand vs PSU
2) George Teague strip of Lamar Thomas
3) Tyrone Prothro's catch
4) AJ to TJ screen vs LSU
5) Rocky Block
6) The kick

But given this was game winner in the NC game by a true freshman, it might win. I just have a hard time giving up those guys above (and there are many that my old brain can't think of right now that I should have included, I'm sure).

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
We all have those plays that stand out in our memory as our greatest play. This is definitely in the conversation, especially since so much was on the line. But I can't so easily forget:
1) Goal line stand vs PSU
2) George Teague strip of Lamar Thomas
3) Tyrone Prothro's catch
4) AJ to TJ screen vs LSU
5) Rocky Block
6) The kick
But given this was game winner in the NC game by a true freshman, it might win. I just have a hard time giving up those guys above (and there are many that my old brain can't think of right now that I should have included, I'm sure).
Great start to your list
Add - Stapler's run in the mud in the Iron Bowl in 66

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If there's a list this play has got to be on it!!!

As a matter of fact, the CONTEXT of this play, IMO, makes it so.

I mean, we are talking about a clutch, perfectly thrown pass in overtime for a national championship walkoff victory!

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
As others have said, when you put it in context it has to be one of the top 2 or 3, if not #1. I never thought anything would top the Goal Line Stand play but this might do it. For me personally, I would put the Goal Line Stand and Tua's pass as 1A and 1B.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
It is a play that is etched into my mind. With so many ups and downs in that game it was the final cathartic event. It was truly a story book ending.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.