Tua bomb was the greatest single play in Alabama athletics history. - Page 2
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Re: Tua bomb was the greatest single play in Alabama athletics history.

Quote Originally Posted by LA4Bama View Post
    It was a great play. But I think you are caught up in the moment. I can think of several plays that were more spectacular on an equally big stage. Teague running down the receiver was epic, for example. AJ to Coop was too. I suggest enjoying this win for what it is instead of trying to find comparison.
    Not downplaying any of these Bama moments, but the context here really matters. A true freshman with no meaningful playtime stepped into the title game and crushed one of the best defenses in the country, taking his team from scoreless to national champion while overcoming a demoralizing missed FG at the end of regulation. The TD bomb from 2nd and 20+ was just the exclamation point on a momentous debut. I don't really care to "rank" these great moments, but I'm sure we all agree that the second half turnaround made this one of the best Alabama games of all time. RTR.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

I won't rank individual plays, ( but I will say Van Tiffin has a place in my heart like no other man ) but I don't know that I recall being so thoroughly whipped for a portion of the game and still winning. Maybe a couple of trips to Red Stick compare, but not sure anything else does.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by TAKEPRIDE22 View Post
    It was a clutch play by a true freshman...Most young QB's wouldn't have the nerve to throw that deep ball in that coverage.
    It wasn't just hurling a perfect strike down the sideline . . . the way he looked off the Safety is textbook. Every play diagram in the office is perfect, and Tua executed to perfection.

Tua made so many ridiculous plays.

The 3rd down scramble when we needed anything good to happen on offense, just once.

The second TD throw that I still don't know if he knew Ridley was going to be able to make that play.

Obviously the walk off throw.

Absolutely incredible.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

The second TD throw that I still don't know if he knew Ridley was going to be able to make that play.
    I think he was throwing to Harris but who cares. Sure is a fine morning.

BamaNation All-American mikeua69's Avatar

In terms of significance, it's up there with the goal line stand against Penn State.
    RTR

BamaNation First Team Bluegrasstide's Avatar

A bit of irony for you... Before the game my kids and I decided to watch one of the Defining Moments videos. I was thinking 315 because of the significance that a win would have (tying Coach Bryant's milestone). They insisted on The Goal Line Stand. As we watched it I explained to them that it could be the most legendary play in Alabama football history. I told them that plays like that are what made me become an Alabama fan. Last night, as we were watching the celebration, I got to tell my boys that they were watching history. They were watching something I never thought I would get to experience- Coach Saban caught Coach Bryant. To boot, I told them, they also got to see what I think is the biggest play in Alabama football history. I held up the copy of The Goal Line Stand dvd and told them that they would make one of "these" of what they just watched. Sometimes the biggest part of win is the little moments you get to share with your family-when you see that look in your kids' eyes and realize that they are hooked for life. In moments like that you realize just how good God is, not just in the trials of our life, but in the joy that He allows us to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmiller711 View Post
    I've been racking my brain all night and I truly think it's highlight number one in the history of Alabama sports. I've never seen anything like that game. I'm still in disbelief. It's like the exact opposite of how I felt after the 2010 and 2013 iron bowls.
    I was thinking the same thing about the play. The beauty of the play, the enormity of it...has to be in at least the top three if not the top.
    Saying ‘I'’m sorry’ is the same as saying ‘I apologize...except at a funeral.”

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

This is top 3 play of all time. What makes it even more special was that It was Freshmen on the field making plays left and right.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by mikeua69 View Post
    In terms of significance, it's up there with the goal line stand against Penn State.
    This.

BamaNation Second Team LoyalAlum's Avatar

Don't you remember Teague running down the 'Cane player and taking the ball from him?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeua69 View Post
    For all us old folks still out there, I agree the goal line stand still ranks up there as #1 to me.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

There have been more spectacular plays, KD return for TD against Clemson in Championship game or the perfectly executed onside kick in the same game, but this play under these circumstances stands alone at the top of the best Bama plays ever. Simply amazing.

Tua!!! He's gonna be great and be one of those guys known by one name, like Elvis, Shaq, or Pele.