Tua bomb was the greatest single play in Alabama athletics history.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
It's great to read everyone's perspective on this topic. I just think how great it will be to watch this play in the updated montage video on the big boards in BDS in perpetuity starting next year!

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Great start to your list
Add - Stapler's run in the mud in the Iron Bowl in 66
If only I had been alive to see that one happen, but I do have an appreciation for it. I was pretty young for the goal line stand also (8 years old), but I was watching, and I remember the excitement in the living room when it happened, despite not truly understanding the significance.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I know it's fresh, but it's a play I don't think I'll ever forget. Watching it unfold it seemed surreal, and when Smith caught the ball, I didn't know what to do for second - I didn't want to get too excited, expecting a flag or something.

Seriously, no better ending to a game of this magnitude that i can recall. Taking a huge sack then standing up and straight up BALLING...

RTR!

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I know it's fresh, but it's a play I don't think I'll ever forget. Watching it unfold it seemed surreal, and when Smith caught the ball, I didn't know what to do for second - I didn't want to get too excited, expecting a flag or something.

Seriously, no better ending to a game of this magnitude that i can recall. Taking a huge sack then standing up and straight up BALLING...

RTR!
Devonte Smith is Mr. Clutch with two game winners - vs. UGA & Miss. St. He reminds me of Kevin Norwood. Big in big moments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Great comparison. I think he's got more physical tools to work with than Norwood as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
No doubt about that. He’s got NFL potential. I Norwood played a couple years in the league too. Goodness Smith, Jeudy, & Ruggs will be fun to watch. Add in a good TE in Irv Smith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
If only I had been alive to see that one happen, but I do have an appreciation for it. I was pretty young for the goal line stand also (8 years old), but I was watching, and I remember the excitement in the living room when it happened, despite not truly understanding the significance.
I saw STABLER'S run (don't know who Stapler is) and it was equally dramatic. There have been many dramatic, game-ending plays through the years...for and against us. What a great ride we are on....

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
I am thankful I got to see last nights game winner with my children, special moment. Regarding greatest play, I am thankful our program has many to choose from across many decades (i.e. Run in mud, Goal line stand, The Kick, and Tua's pass).
RTR

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
Tagovailoa's explanation to the reporter after the game gave me the impression that he understands the offense pretty well...
Agreed. His explanation of the play showed QB intelligence. I swear, it was almost as fun to hear him explain the play as it was to watch the play. Wow, young man is amazing.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I saw STABLER'S run (don't know who Stapler is) and it was equally dramatic. There have been many dramatic, game-ending plays through the years...for and against us. What a great ride we are on....
That was Kenny's brother Benny who worked in the office products area of Woolworths.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
The defensive goal line stand against Penn State was a great memory. Actually two plays back to back were special but this one is up there for sure as one of, if not, the best.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
The goal line stand happened midway through the 4th. Penn State got the ball back two more times in that game. It was huge, but not a walkoff situation. If PSU had scored it would have only been tied and Bama would have gotten the ball back with plenty of time for a drive (or two).

It's the Tua throw and it's not even close.

At all.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
The goal line stand happened midway through the 4th. Penn State got the ball back two more times in that game. It was huge, but not a walkoff situation. If PSU had scored it would have only been tied and Bama would have gotten the ball back with plenty of time for a drive (or two).

It's the Tua throw and it's not even close.

At all.
This is how I feel. It was do or die. Euphoria or despair. Victory or failure. Unbelievable.

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
i just dont think with what was on the line and the probability of tua bringing us to that point, that theres anything you can put ahead of it. WAY out of field goal range too. he misses that throw we have 3rd and 26 to even get in the ballpark to kick a field goal. it was pretty much do or die. insane.
You say that as if we had dared try another FG hahaha

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.