Tua bomb was the greatest single play in Alabama athletics history.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Walk off TD's are pretty rare, though Georgia did just have one. Considering we just took a huge sack and it was for the National title it ranks up there with anything by any team.

I can always say I watched it live, but from opposite corner of the field about halfway up the stands. If you watched it live on TV you had a much better view than me.

However, I did get to experience one of my favorite moments in football: when the opposing fan base that outnumbers you goes from screaming celebration to totally silent shock in a split second, and the minority Alabama crowd erupts. I’ve seen this before at Penn St and TN, and there is nothing like it.
That is outstanding. I only experienced that at the high school level at a basketball game in Brewton at Jeff Davis, but it was my brother. I’m sure you didn’t shut up about it and someone on UGA’s side had murderous thoughts about your elation.

Yeldon at LSU was Huge. Without it, we get our second loss of 2012 and do not play for that year's title against ND. Differences are that it did not end the game (LSU had 51 seconds to try to drive the field), it wasn't in OT, and wasn't in a national championship. Both conjure great excitement and emotion for me. I don't think this Tua-Smith play could have possibly been written for more drama in a made-for-TV movie.
Thanks for the feedback. Always good to get someone else’s perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL
I can always say I watched it live, but from opposite corner of the field about halfway up the stands. If you watched it live on TV you had a much better view than me.

However, I did get to experience one of my favorite moments in football: when the opposing fan base that outnumbers you goes from screaming celebration to totally silent shock in a split second, and the minority Alabama crowd erupts. I’ve seen this before at Penn St and TN, and there is nothing like it.
I was right above you and this was my train of thought:

"It's too long... no it's too short... no it's just right get under it baby TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!"

Leaving the stadium the GA fans were very quiet... it only hit me later that they were STUNNED. This game was in their hands and they didn't take it. Kind of like I felt leaving the Clemson game last year.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
This is how I feel. It was do or die. Euphoria or despair. Victory or failure. Unbelievable.
Plus it seemed like we were destined to lose, with the missed field goal in regulation, the long made field goal by UGA and the sack for huge loss on the play before the TD. He reversed fate.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
It’s up there because it might be the clutchest throw any of our QB’s have ever made. You just don’t see True Freshmen who haven’t played a bunch make throws like he made tonight with the National Title on the line!!
It was also a Championship won on the last play. How many times has that happened, and twice in the last two years.

Freshman. Back to the wall. Just made a colossal blunder. I mean, there is more surely but hat is enough in my book.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Kinda hard to beat the "Goalline Stand" against Penn St., "The Kick" or "The run in the Mud"!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Kinda hard to beat the "Goalline Stand" against Penn St., "The Kick" or "The run in the Mud"!
Alabama has so many of these in your history. This will probably be that play for this generation.

TheTideRolls

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 31, 2015
Alabama has so many of these in your history. This will probably be that play for this generation.
This has got to be the best. The importance of the game. The emotional swing. The gutsy calll. Perfectly orchestrated by 11 young men. Everyone did their part. This was a total team effort.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It was a great play. But I think you are caught up in the moment. I can think of several plays that were more spectacular on an equally big stage. Teague running down the receiver was epic, for example. AJ to Coop was too. I suggest enjoying this win for what it is instead of trying to find comparison.
The goal line stand against Penn State in my lifetime, but LA is right it should not be about comparisons every great Alabama win has its own story.

kwftide

1st Team
Oct 20, 1999
Mebane, NC
A bit of irony for you... Before the game my kids and I decided to watch one of the Defining Moments videos. I was thinking 315 because of the significance that a win would have (tying Coach Bryant's milestone). They insisted on The Goal Line Stand. As we watched it I explained to them that it could be the most legendary play in Alabama football history. I told them that plays like that are what made me become an Alabama fan. Last night, as we were watching the celebration, I got to tell my boys that they were watching history. They were watching something I never thought I would get to experience- Coach Saban caught Coach Bryant. To boot, I told them, they also got to see what I think is the biggest play in Alabama football history. I held up the copy of The Goal Line Stand dvd and told them that they would make one of "these" of what they just watched. Sometimes the biggest part of win is the little moments you get to share with your family-when you see that look in your kids' eyes and realize that they are hooked for life. In moments like that you realize just how good God is, not just in the trials of our life, but in the joy that He allows us to experience.
Very well said. Roll Tide!

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
after digesting this idea for a few months, i feel pretty confident that that throw is number 1. recency bias be darned.
Since it was a “walk-off” play its drama quotient is extremely high already. A walk-off in a championship game? Crazy good. But it wasn’t a 3-yard screen pass or a run up the middle. It was a 41-yarder. Oh, and he was a true freshman “relief pitcher”... and threw to another true freshman. And we were shut out at the half. My goodness... do I really need to go on?

No doubt it beats everything else in my book. What a great era to be a Bama fan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is a clear number one and it's not even close. I don't say that to disparage any of our great moments but this one is in the next universe by itself.

1) It won the national championship. Without it, there's no title.

We could conceivably have beaten Penn State without the Goal Line Stand, and we would likely still have beaten Miami without the Strip. But this play won the game.

2) The drama was heightened by the sack on the previous play.

Discussed already.

3) Here's one I haven't seen: Alabama NEVER LED in the entire game until that play.

Ever. This was not the 2012 SECCG back and forth. We were behind from the moment UGA scored first. All the way until that play.

4) The sudden swiftness was the stuff of legend.

This was a heavyweight boxer getting his tail knocked all over the ring for 10 rounds of a 12 round fight, getting battered in the 11th and then decking the opponent with a lightning quick left to the jaw that nobody saw coming.

Van Tiffin's kick was awesome, but it was the result of a fearless drive and a soaring kick from a guy who had made MANY long field goals before (including 57 yards vs ATM that year and 53 vs Penn St the year before). Tiffin kicking a field goal - as awesome as it was - was not totally off the charts surprising and it was also a regular season game. Hell, most folks don't recall that we weren't even ranked going into the game despite having only two losses and a tie.

The lightning bolt was so sudden that my reaction was more of shock than jubilation. When Francisco Cabrera scored Bream - speaking of moments that took forever - I leaped into the air and hit my hands on the ceiling. I have high walls now so not possible, but I was almost in utter disbelief that it happened. I didn't even notice the receiver running over the camera guy in the end one as he celebrated until a few days later.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.