Tua bomb was the greatest single play in Alabama athletics history.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I have been listening to (and watching) Bama football since 1955 and I think that play is without a doubt the single greatest play in Bama history. The only play I would even put close (IMO) is the run in the mud.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
We all have those plays that stand out in our memory as our greatest play. This is definitely in the conversation, especially since so much was on the line. But I can't so easily forget:

1) Goal line stand vs PSU
2) George Teague strip of Lamar Thomas
3) Tyrone Prothro's catch
4) AJ to TJ screen vs LSU
5) Rocky Block
6) The kick

But given this was game winner in the NC game by a true freshman, it might win. I just have a hard time giving up those guys above (and there are many that my old brain can't think of right now that I should have included, I'm sure).
" The Pass" is right up there, but the greatest individual play I`ve witnessed was Prothro`s catch.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I have been listening to (and watching) Bama football since 1955 and I think that play is without a doubt the single greatest play in Bama history. The only play I would even put close (IMO) is the run in the mud.
Ah, the run in the mud was epic and considering who ran it and the opponent it has to be up there.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Considering that Doug Flutie's "hail mary" pass in Miami is hailed (pun intended) in many circles as the greatest play in CFB history, I would say that has been replaced by Tua's play. Flutie's pass was nothing compared to Tua's.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Flutie's pass was more dire and more impressive in terms of sheer arm power, but it wasn't a title game. It was before Thanksgiving. It wasn't event a matchup of two top 10 teams. Both teams already had multiple losses.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Considering that Doug Flutie's "hail mary" pass in Miami is hailed (pun intended) in many circles as the greatest play in CFB history, I would say that has been replaced by Tua's play. Flutie's pass was nothing compared to Tua's.
Fluie's pass was a desperation throw and it just happen to work out for a TD. Tua's pass was a perfectly executed play that is usually orchestrated by a future HOF NFL QB; not a true freshman who just got sacked for a 12 yard loss.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
" The Pass" is right up there, but the greatest individual play I`ve witnessed was Prothro`s catch.
Funny you quoted that one from several pages back. I had forgotten I ever posted in this thread, and about some of those plays I listed in my first post, when I posted here again. And it looks like I changed my mind in the last few months about which was #1. Oh well, I did say in the first one that my brain is getting old.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Funny you quoted that one from several pages back. I had forgotten I ever posted in this thread, and about some of those plays I listed in my first post, when I posted here again. And it looks like I changed my mind in the last few months about which was #1. Oh well, I did say in the first one that my brain is getting old.
It also shows that these things are so very close - great plays like these reach us and make lasting impressions.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
Having witnessed a whole bunch of big plays over the years, I'd have to say that I agree with the consensus...I don't remember ever seeing a bigger play. I have watched it over and over again, as I'm certain most, if not all, of y'all have too. It still gives me chills.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Having witnessed a whole bunch of big plays over the years, I'd have to say that I agree with the consensus...I don't remember ever seeing a bigger play. I have watched it over and over again, as I'm certain most, if not all, of y'all have too. It still gives me chills.
The entire 2nd half & OT is probably my favorite half of football ever. I've probably watched it 1,000 times already.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
The entire 2nd half & OT is probably my favorite half of football ever. I've probably watched it 1,000 times already.
I never get tired of watching it. I also never get tired of watching the reaction of Georgia fans losing. I guess I am a little sadistic.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
My favorite play of championship game, of course, is the final one. But the runner-up may strike some of y'all as unusual. It's the first call on Tua's second possession, a quick play action followed by a ripped throw down the middle of the field, just off the finger tips of the diving Ridley.

Thrown with a foot more air, it's a touchdown. But even though it didn't work, it remains a thing of beauty, a show of speed and daring and 'almost.' Looking back, we can also see that it served as a portent: Something which had been hidden for most of the year was about to be unleashed.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I never get tired of watching it. I also never get tired of watching the reaction of Georgia fans losing. I guess I am a little sadistic.
We switched from Uverse to XFinity so I lost all my recordings. I hope to find the game on one of the sports channels soon so I can record it again.

I was at the game. It was great! After the final play, several women (UGA fans) behind us were crying. They had been so confident all game until that last play. They ran their mouth a lot until the final play. I did not say much during the game except when I yelled "TUA"! the first play of the second half when I saw him come in, and "TUA"! on the last play :) Then I started cheering.

Several of the UGA fans I know personally are fine, and friends of mine, but the ones at the game behind us were so obnoxious.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
One of the things that struck be about the play is that I was still enraged over the previous play. I don't think my emotions have ever turned around that fast.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
My favorite play of championship game, of course, is the final one. But the runner-up may strike some of y'all as unusual. It's the first call on Tua's second possession, a quick play action followed by a ripped throw down the middle of the field, just off the finger tips of the diving Ridley.
Thrown with a foot more air, it's a touchdown. But even though it didn't work, it remains a thing of beauty, a show of speed and daring and 'almost.' Looking back, we can also see that it served as a portent: Something which had been hidden for most of the year was about to be unleashed.
It also put UGA on notice that their strategy of crowding the LOS was over.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
One of the things that struck be about the play is that I was still enraged over the previous play. I don't think my emotions have ever turned around that fast.
Emotional whiplash.

do you actually think I was able to go to sleep (I had to get up at 430 am like every day) after THAT????

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.