Tua bomb was the greatest single play in Alabama athletics history. - Page 8
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American TrueCrimson7's Avatar

Re: Tua bomb was the greatest single play in Alabama athletics history.

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    AJ to Yeldon in the Bayou. How does the bomb stack up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yeldon at LSU was Huge. Without it, we get our second loss of 2012 and do not play for that year's title against ND. Differences are that it did not end the game (LSU had 51 seconds to try to drive the field), it wasn't in OT, and wasn't in a national championship. Both conjure great excitement and emotion for me. I don't think this Tua-Smith play could have possibly been written for more drama in a made-for-TV movie.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

To me, what contributes to the jaw dropping greatness of this play is the buildup/backdrop/ and the SUDDENNESS of it. I was just getting my head wrapped around the sack and then BANG. I mean...lordy mercy. Still hasn't completely sunk in.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    NFL QBís wonít attempt that throw. Itís not supposed to be possible. Joey Galloway talked about it last night and how in 8 years in the NFL he tried to convince 27 different QBís to try it and they wouldnít do it...
    You think perhaps he was as annoying in the huddle as he is on camera, and the QBs tuned him out just as we do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation First Team Ledsteplin's Avatar

There's no other play that out-bigs that throw. A few may have been just as big, but this one still stands out bigly. It was simply big...real big! I can't help but think the prior sack for the loss was maybe a blessing in disguise. Had the ball remained at the 25, we may have had to settle for a kick attempt. Maybe not, but the 41 yard pass play just seemed like the right play at the right time with a QB to make it happen. With the Championship on the line, it's #1 in my book of the greatest single play of all time.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Another thing that I don’t recall seeing mentioned in this thread that helps this Tua Bomb stand above other plays is how bright our future is after this play. This was the 3rd of 3 TD passes that we’re all just as clutch as a pass can be. All were amazingly accurate throws. All necessary for the comeback. Even though Bama dominated the second half we had been reduced to hoping to pick up enough yardage on the next 2 plays to be able to tie the game with a FG. No matter what angle I look at this play from, greatest play of all time that ALSO made our coach the GOAT.

BamaNation First Team

As has been alluded to, the terrible sack prior to the TD throw is as much a part of the thrill as the throw itself. Jumping up and down screaming no, no, no on taking the sack, seeing Saban's reaction, then with no hesitation, Boom!! I personally don't want to see the throw without the prior sack. My wife and I went on the back porch, took a deep breath and yelled Rollllll Tide, Roll!! Hope several UT neighbors heard it.(we live just outside Nashville)

BamaNation All-American

Idk if this has already been said but just read that it was the longest touchdown pass in the history of college football overtime

I cannot stop watching this play. I am envious of all of you who got to watch it live.
    I can always say I watched it live, but from opposite corner of the field about halfway up the stands. If you watched it live on TV you had a much better view than me.

However, I did get to experience one of my favorite moments in football: when the opposing fan base that outnumbers you goes from screaming celebration to totally silent shock in a split second, and the minority Alabama crowd erupts. Iíve seen this before at Penn St and TN, and there is nothing like it.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueCrimson7 View Post
    Yeldon at LSU was Huge. Without it, we get our second loss of 2012 and do not play for that year's title against ND. Differences are that it did not end the game (LSU had 51 seconds to try to drive the field), it wasn't in OT, and wasn't in a national championship. Both conjure great excitement and emotion for me. I don't think this Tua-Smith play could have possibly been written for more drama in a made-for-TV movie.
    Bama was undefeated going into the LSU game. It would have been our first loss.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

Walk off TD's are pretty rare, though Georgia did just have one. Considering we just took a huge sack and it was for the National title it ranks up there with anything by any team.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Quote Originally Posted by jabcmb View Post
    I can always say I watched it live, but from opposite corner of the field about halfway up the stands. If you watched it live on TV you had a much better view than me.

However, I did get to experience one of my favorite moments in football: when the opposing fan base that outnumbers you goes from screaming celebration to totally silent shock in a split second, and the minority Alabama crowd erupts. Iíve seen this before at Penn St and TN, and there is nothing like it.
    That is outstanding. I only experienced that at the high school level at a basketball game in Brewton at Jeff Davis, but it was my brother. Iím sure you didnít shut up about it and someone on UGAís side had murderous thoughts about your elation.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Quote Originally Posted by TrueCrimson7 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Always good to get someone elseís perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is outstanding. I only experienced that at the high school level at a basketball game in Brewton at Jeff Davis, but it was my brother. I’m sure you didn’t shut up about it and someone on UGA’s side had murderous thoughts about your elation.
    ... you’re probably right.