Tua bomb was the greatest single play in Alabama athletics history.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Same here. Took me two hours to wind down. Thanks to a shopping trip along the Bourbon Trail last fall, this was not a problem.
after i got done screaming i went to hibbett sports and bought championship gear then i went to waffle house and had a hashbrown bowl. (I did that because I've only referred to the Bama-UGA NCG as the Hashbrown Bowl presented by Waffle House since the day it was announced.) I couldnt fall asleep until like 5 am. The most quintessentially southern sporting event ever held IMO, and my favorite alabama game in my lifetime. Ive never gone from so down to so up in one game. I hope i never have to get that down again hahaha.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
My favorite play of championship game, of course, is the final one. But the runner-up may strike some of y'all as unusual. It's the first call on Tua's second possession, a quick play action followed by a ripped throw down the middle of the field, just off the finger tips of the diving Ridley.

Thrown with a foot more air, it's a touchdown. But even though it didn't work, it remains a thing of beauty, a show of speed and daring and 'almost.' Looking back, we can also see that it served as a portent: Something which had been hidden for most of the year was about to be unleashed.
That was a good one, and probably had more significance than anybody much recognized at the time. But I had another favorite other than the last one.

It was the 3rd and 8 play where Tua got flushed right, then realized he was about to get stuffed. With nothing to lose, he reversed field, and broke a tackle in the backfield.

When that happened, you could see an OL (Leatherwood? Williams was out injured by then), but more so Bo Scarbrough, instantly and viciously engage. I think in that split second, both realized we had something worth selling out for.

They led some thunderous blocking and got Tua not quite 7 yards upfield. Then Tua went low, lowered his shoulder and bulled for the final 4 feet or so for a much-needed first down.

I have no inside information whatsoever. But I think that was the play where the team became his.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
That was a good one, and probably had more significance than anybody much recognized at the time. But I had another favorite other than the last one.

It was the 3rd and 8 play where Tua got flushed right, then realized he was about to get stuffed. With nothing to lose, he reversed field, and broke a tackle in the backfield.

When that happened, you could see an OL (Leatherwood? Williams was out injured by then), but more so Bo Scarbrough, instantly and viciously engage. I think in that split second, both realized we had something worth selling out for.

They led some thunderous blocking and got Tua not quite 7 yards upfield. Then Tua went low, lowered his shoulder and bulled for the final 4 feet or so for a much-needed first down.

I have no inside information whatsoever. But I think that was the play where the team became his.
He definitely won me over on that play.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Your example is a great one, ‘Case, and it came two plays after the one I mentioned. Four plays after Tua’s run, we were in the end zone. Like I said, something elemental had been unleashed.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

It was the same play that won the game. Protection broke down before he could execute it as he did the winning play.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was about 90 seconds behind everyone because of my Sling streaming. To prevent getting text messages, I powered my phone completely down with about ten minutes left in the game. (I'd heard twice from other folks on text about a play before it happened).

I wanted the full effect.

So we go to OT and hold them to three and I'm feeling good.

And when he got sacked, my heart sank. It was that sick "Jalen can't throw the ball" feeling even though Tua had done well. I didn't even have time to readjust that fear in the back of my throat. When he left fly, I didn't see a defender anywhere close. It happened so quick it was, "BOOM!" and as I've said before, I didn't even know until the next day that Smith had run over that guy in the end zone. I'm running to my phone to power it up and call my Oregon buddy.

I think I got to sleep about 130 and up at 430, but I didn't care. I'd sleep the next day at work, I mean, AFTER work.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
When Tua got sacked on the first down play, my wife got up to go to the bathroom. Before she got there, she heard me hollering we won, we won! She forgot she needed to go to the bathroom until much later! She didn't want to miss anything!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
When Tua got sacked on the first down play, my wife got up to go to the bathroom. Before she got there, she heard me hollering we won, we won! She forgot she needed to go to the bathroom until much later! She didn't want to miss anything!
I still like the scene outside the bar in T-Town. Wish I'd been there.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

You felt that magic had been unleashed and the offensive dam had broken. I thought the game was over. The whole team and Bama nation had come alive. I was actually surprised that the game was not put away before OT - just down by 6 after the TD. But the 80 yd play and the missed FG only led to a fairytale ending. With the stakes, more thrilling than any athletic moment in Bama history.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
All that said, for my money, the greatest play in Alabama history is George Teague running down Lamar Thomas from behind and taking the ball away. Especially with Thomas's statements about nobody in our secondary being able to keep up with him.

That was definitely a top 3 play in my book.

I had just rented a house Jan 1, so I decided to have a championship game party. Several barn fans showed up to do what they do, hopefully bask in the glory of Bama’s defeat. The trash that Miami talked, as well as most media outlets leading up to the game, gave most folks the thought that we were going to get blown away.... That we didn’t even belong on the field with Miami.

We were putting it to Miami up until that point, but to me there was always the feeling that Miami was fixing to pour it on and take over the game. When Gino T connected with LT on that pass my heart sank as I though to myself “crap here they go”. Then out of nowhere into the screen frame came George Teague like a rocket and ran him down, took it away from him, and started to run it back. In the matter of seconds all the barn fans there went from talking smack and hooping and hollering, to packing it up and leaving! At that moment, I knew we weren’t going to be denied! (Even though the play was called back, it was the dagger that deflated what little the Hurricanes had in them to mount a comeback).

Emotionally, it was similar to Tua taking the sac, then connecting on the game winner the next play, but it was all rolled up into one play.

That being said, I would have to rank this years play #1 just due to the fact that we trailed the entire game and it was the final play of the game to seal the deal with the title on the line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
It all depends how a person defines "greatest". If you feel "greatest" and "most important" are the same thing then Tua's pass was indeed the greatest play because I think we all agree it was the most important play in Alabama history. For someone looking for greatest individual effort on a play perhaps George Teague or Barry Krauss would be the greatest because those are the kind of plays a person does not see nearly as often as a perfectly thrown pass by a QB. Tua made a perfect pass hitting Smith in stride to end the game and win a championship but we've seen A.J. hit Amari Cooper in stride with some pretty passes in the past that were just as well thrown although obviously not as important.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
From the amazing pass, to the absolute concentration of the catch, with all of college football watching on the biggest stage of all..

There was no room for error on either end of the play..That makes it the greatest play of all-time in my opinion..

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
It all depends how a person defines "greatest". If you feel "greatest" and "most important" are the same thing then Tua's pass was indeed the greatest play because I think we all agree it was the most important play in Alabama history. For someone looking for greatest individual effort on a play perhaps George Teague or Barry Krauss would be the greatest because those are the kind of plays a person does not see nearly as often as a perfectly thrown pass by a QB. Tua made a perfect pass hitting Smith in stride to end the game and win a championship but we've seen A.J. hit Amari Cooper in stride with some pretty passes in the past that were just as well thrown although obviously not as important.
I'm fairly new to the board, and sure it's been discussed here often, but what about that 2nd down play by Don McNeal? The play seems almost impossible from a physics standpoint. Without it, there is no goal line stand.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I'm fairly new to the board, and sure it's been discussed here often, but what about that 2nd down play by Don McNeal? The play seems almost impossible from a physics standpoint. Without it, there is no goal line stand.
I have seen others discuss this play before. It was one of the best plays ever in my book as well.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
That was definitely a top 3 play in my book.

I had just rented a house Jan 1, so I decided to have a championship game party. Several barn fans showed up to do what they do, hopefully bask in the glory of Bama’s defeat.
Wait, you had a new house and you invited whom over to watch?
That's a high risk, no pay-off course of action. If Bama loses, the Barn fans will stay all night to rub salt in the wound, but if Bama wins, they will leave early so you can't return the favor.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I love watching that 2-26 play and have watched it a bunch. I like the replays with all the different radio and TV guys calling the play. The Georgia radio guy was feeling pretty snarky after they sacked Tua. Then he starts trying to be funny and butchers Tua's name as he loaded up,released the pass and ruined radio guy's night and season! I feel pretty confidant he pronounces it correctly now.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I am probably the only person who had this thought, and I think it lowers my rating as a Crimson Tide fan to have felt this and admit it, but I will now be honest and say so. At halftime, I had just about made up my mind that if they came out with Jalen in the second half and kept trying to do what they had been doing, I was going to turn off the TV and go to bed. I was fed up at that point, and just couldn't take it anymore.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.