Tua bomb was the greatest single play in Alabama athletics history.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Whether it's the greatest or not, it sure did this 69yo man a lot of good. The more I watched it the more it reminded me of the throw from AJ to Amari. That was a play action play but the trajectory and catch was alike. If we don't make that play we probably don't play ND in Miami. Tua and these young receivers are going to be fun to watch!

CincinnatiAlum

2nd Team
Aug 9, 2004
I seriously cannot stop watching it! Absolutely amazing ... and so blessed to have been there! That may be the most amazing victory and experience maybe ever ... Bama fans were hugging, screaming, absolutely losing it! IT WAS AWESOME!!

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Given the circumstances and what was at stake, I have to say yes. I guess to ratchet up the stakes, it could have been 4th down, but given our struggles in the kicking game, and the field position, it's a pretty pressure packed situation.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I've been racking my brain all night and I truly think it's highlight number one in the history of Alabama sports. I've never seen anything like that game. I'm still in disbelief. It's like the exact opposite of how I felt after the 2010 and 2013 iron bowls.
Watching that throw reminded me of a couple of Joe Namath passes, both at Alabama and with the New York Jets.
Joe had that kind of confidence.
BUT... Confidence like that just isn't found in True Freshmen...
(Nobody told Tua that... ;) )

Last edited:

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
The only game that has ever come as close to this game for me, emotionally, was the 1985 Iron Bowl. Van Tiffin's 52-yard field goal on the last play of that game was simply incredible! Ironically, had our kicker made the easy FG on the last play of this game, I'm not sure if we would be feeling quite as euphoric about this game. Just crazy! There is nothing like Alabama football, and with all these great Freshmen, it looks like it's going to be really fun over the next few seasons.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Top single play, all time in Bama history. I can't argue with that.

Others that come to mind in no particular order:

The Kick

The Play That Never Was

Rocky Block

Thomas Rayam blocked FG (Desperation Block)

The Catch

Wrong Way Bo

There are countless other big plays. All listed were either end of game heroics or turning points in the game.

I can't think of a single play with more on the line to end the game.

The preceding play together with The Bomb constitute a microcosm of the game itself: Georgia knocked Alabama back on its behind only for Alabama to get up to deliver the knockout punch.

With all that was at stake, with all the adversity that was overcome to achieve it, with how the game and the play developed...It is the single greatest play in Alabama football history.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
AJ to Yeldon in the Bayou. How does the bomb stack up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
Yeldon at LSU was Huge. Without it, we get our second loss of 2012 and do not play for that year's title against ND. Differences are that it did not end the game (LSU had 51 seconds to try to drive the field), it wasn't in OT, and wasn't in a national championship. Both conjure great excitement and emotion for me. I don't think this Tua-Smith play could have possibly been written for more drama in a made-for-TV movie.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
To me, what contributes to the jaw dropping greatness of this play is the buildup/backdrop/ and the SUDDENNESS of it. I was just getting my head wrapped around the sack and then BANG. I mean...lordy mercy. Still hasn't completely sunk in.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
NFL QB’s won’t attempt that throw. It’s not supposed to be possible. Joey Galloway talked about it last night and how in 8 years in the NFL he tried to convince 27 different QB’s to try it and they wouldn’t do it...
You think perhaps he was as annoying in the huddle as he is on camera, and the QBs tuned him out just as we do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
There's no other play that out-bigs that throw. A few may have been just as big, but this one still stands out bigly. It was simply big...real big! I can't help but think the prior sack for the loss was maybe a blessing in disguise. Had the ball remained at the 25, we may have had to settle for a kick attempt. Maybe not, but the 41 yard pass play just seemed like the right play at the right time with a QB to make it happen. With the Championship on the line, it's #1 in my book of the greatest single play of all time.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Another thing that I don’t recall seeing mentioned in this thread that helps this Tua Bomb stand above other plays is how bright our future is after this play. This was the 3rd of 3 TD passes that we’re all just as clutch as a pass can be. All were amazingly accurate throws. All necessary for the comeback. Even though Bama dominated the second half we had been reduced to hoping to pick up enough yardage on the next 2 plays to be able to tie the game with a FG. No matter what angle I look at this play from, greatest play of all time that ALSO made our coach the GOAT.

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
As has been alluded to, the terrible sack prior to the TD throw is as much a part of the thrill as the throw itself. Jumping up and down screaming no, no, no on taking the sack, seeing Saban's reaction, then with no hesitation, Boom!! I personally don't want to see the throw without the prior sack. My wife and I went on the back porch, took a deep breath and yelled Rollllll Tide, Roll!! Hope several UT neighbors heard it.(we live just outside Nashville)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Idk if this has already been said but just read that it was the longest touchdown pass in the history of college football overtime

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I cannot stop watching this play. I am envious of all of you who got to watch it live.
I can always say I watched it live, but from opposite corner of the field about halfway up the stands. If you watched it live on TV you had a much better view than me.

However, I did get to experience one of my favorite moments in football: when the opposing fan base that outnumbers you goes from screaming celebration to totally silent shock in a split second, and the minority Alabama crowd erupts. I’ve seen this before at Penn St and TN, and there is nothing like it.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Yeldon at LSU was Huge. Without it, we get our second loss of 2012 and do not play for that year's title against ND. Differences are that it did not end the game (LSU had 51 seconds to try to drive the field), it wasn't in OT, and wasn't in a national championship. Both conjure great excitement and emotion for me. I don't think this Tua-Smith play could have possibly been written for more drama in a made-for-TV movie.
Bama was undefeated going into the LSU game. It would have been our first loss.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.