Tua bomb was the greatest single play in Alabama athletics history.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Feels like we are arguing about the greatest play vs the most important game or something. Those are 2 different discussions IMO.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Feels like we are arguing about the greatest play vs the most important game or something. Those are 2 different discussions IMO.
Agreed - if we are talking about most important, I would go with the first integrated play.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Sorry, but the whole "standing on the shoulders of giants" thing doesn't apply here unless the giant's name is Nick Saban.

Ask Notre Dame how worthless that stuff is when you are trying to win championships today.
All right. I'll concede the point. What happened in 1926 has little to nothing to do with what motivates talented young men to go to Alabama to play football today. But that 17th national championship thing started with a first national championship 91 years ago.
Just remember that that marble you're holding up to your eye is not bigger than the sun, it is just closer to your eye.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but winning a first ever national championship does not exactly compare with winning a 17th (and a 5th in nine years).
Heck, Bama might have gone the route of Sewanee if not for that game.
IIRC, that game is considered the game that changed the perception of football in the South. The Alabama win gave Southern teams some validity in the eyes of the rest of the country.

I don't see how the Tua pass can't be the answer to the question, though. If it's not, I have a submission - the play in 2005 when Drew Brees was injured while playing for the Chargers.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
IIRC, that game is considered the game that changed the perception of football in the South. The Alabama win gave Southern teams some validity in the eyes of the rest of the country.

I don't see how the Tua pass can't be the answer to the question, though. If it's not, I have a submission - the play in 2005 when Drew Brees was injured while playing for the Chargers.
Well done sir, well done.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I posted this in the Poll thread a few months back but it fits here too...

Agree... this is as easy a choice as the poll for 'Would you Rather win a NC or Beat AU'...lol.

All the other plays are great plays for sure. But none of them were outright 'Game Winners'. They may have put us in a position to win or may have swung momentum or maybe this and maybe that....

TUA's play flat WON the National Championship.... via Walkoff Dagger like a stake straight through Dracula's Heart.
I've had over 4 months to think about it and jmo but Tua's "Dime in Overtime" is not just the greatest play in Alabama's history... but the greatest play in NCAA CFB history.

It absolutely 1000000000000% WON a National Championship in a bleak moment that looked to be a consecutive NCG loss. Just done.....Ballgame.....make room in the trophy case.

What other play is better? What other play guaranteed a National Title the moment it transpired? None that I can think of??

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

Wow. I had to think about that one for a moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

I've had over 4 months to think about it and jmo but Tua's "Dime in Overtime" is not just the greatest play in Alabama's history... but the greatest play in NCAA CFB history.

It absolutely 1000000000000% WON a National Championship in a bleak moment that looked to be a consecutive NCG loss. Just done.....Ballgame.....make room in the trophy case.

What other play is better? What other play guaranteed a National Title the moment it transpired? None that I can think of??
See Post #144 at top of Pg. 12.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com

Nice

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
OK, I give up. Can someone connect the dots for me?
Saban wanted Brees in Miami, but management went with Culpepper since Brees had suffered what many thought might be a career-ending injury. Of course, Brees' shoulder healed up nicely, and had the 'Fins done what CNS wanted, he likely would never have become the coach at Bama...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
OK, I give up. Can someone connect the dots for me?
Brees was the QB that Saban wanted at Miami. The Dolphins GM decided not to sign Brees because he was concerned about the recovery from said injury. This upset Saban, which was made worse when the QB he was left with failed while Brees went on the have great success.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Saban wanted Brees in Miami, but management went with Culpepper since Brees had suffered what many thought might be a career-ending injury. Of course, Brees' shoulder healed up nicely, and had the 'Fins done what CNS wanted, he likely would never have become the coach at Bama...
It is a less obvious answer than one might think when you are someone like me who really pays little attention to the NFL other than the Super Bowl, watching our Bama guys and hoping for their success, watching a game now and then just because nothing else is on.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

Deshaun to Renfrow (ducks head). Actually I only found out recently that there was apparently one second on the clock after that play and they had to do a kickoff, I didn't know this because I turned the tv off after they caught the pass and haven't rewatched that particular portion of the game.

I agree with you though, the "Dime in Overtime" is the best.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Nick Saban had to settle for playing Cleo Lemon at the end of 2006.

Cleo.

Lemon.

That same year Drew Brees led the NFL in passing yards.

Oh, what might have been...
Every football season, I get up and thank God no one in Miami listened to Coach Saban and signed Daunte Culpepper instead of Brees.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
He doesn't get hurt, he goes to Miami not NO...CNS never shows in Bama...
Brees was the QB that Saban wanted at Miami. The Dolphins GM decided not to sign Brees because he was concerned about the recovery from said injury. This upset Saban, which was made worse when the QB he was left with failed while Brees went on the have great success.
Nick Saban had to settle for playing Cleo Lemon at the end of 2006.

Cleo.

Lemon.

That same year Drew Brees led the NFL in passing yards.

Oh, what might have been...
Thanks, gang - always appreciate the info from the knowledgeable poster on this board :cool2:

IM4UA

1st Team
Aug 10, 2003
Alabaster, AL, US
I had a flight from BHM to Dallas earlier this week. Two of the lineman from the team sat right in front of me. First off, these guys were HUGE. The plane was an ERJ-145 which is not a particularly spacious aircraft. Both young men had to stoop over and shuffle to make it into their seats. One of the guys was leaning back trying to get comfortable and I thought for certain the seat back was just going to snap off. They were both sporting their championship rings that were impossible to miss.

Seeing these guys made my flight a little bit better. I kept thinking about CNS storming the field after the bomb. The fact that he did it really put the moment in perspective for me. I know it's a play I will watch again and again for the rest of my life and each time I will still smile and get goosebumps listening to Chris Fowler yell "TOUCHDOWN"!

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.