JessN: Georgia wrap-up: Sabanís courage to make a tough call nets him a sixth title - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar

Georgia wrap-up: Sabanís courage to make a tough call nets him a sixth title

Quote Originally Posted by Tidetwin View Post
    With different personnel on the field in the second half and a defecit to overcome, he was able to call plays that, to my uninformed eye, were creative and gutsy and transformed our kids into the unit we expected them to be
    All year long. I hope he stays and he gets a raise.
    Calling plays and making game plans are only part of his job. To continue with the success we've had there has to be elite talent present. That talent wants to get to the NFL. To get to the NFL you have to grow and develop as a player. Jalen Hurts is an elite athlete, I will not hesitate to admit that. His progression, or lack thereof, must be placed at either his feet, or Daboll's. Which is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

2. Advertisement
    News|BB|FB|REC Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar

Re: Georgia wrap-up: Sabanís courage to make a tough call nets him a sixth title

Jess,

Writers have a unique take on everything. Rank the 5 as most enjoyable for you to cover/write-up.

Well-done on this one, btw.

Re: Georgia wrap-up: Sabanís courage to make a tough call nets him a sixth title

Quote Originally Posted by bamakeeb View Post
    Of course Iím not Jess. But I say yes. I believe Daboll was instructed to help Jalen become a better NFL QB which lead to some regression. It cut down on turnover but took away a lot of moxy. That said, aside from a few questionable streaks, he did pretty good for a first time coordinator. I think Daboll came on to position himself for a HC somewhere. I donít see Saban letting him go after one year without some massive disconnect.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    ...Now, on to the tough question: after struggling to progress this year and questionable game plans, will Daboll be on the sidelines next year in your opinion?

Calling plays and making game plans are only part of his job. To continue with the success we've had there has to be elite talent present. That talent wants to get to the NFL. To get to the NFL you have to grow and develop as a player. Jalen Hurts is an elite athlete, I will not hesitate to admit that. His progression, or lack thereof, must be placed at either his feet, or Daboll's. Which is it?

Every great offensive coordinator will not also be a "QB Whisperer." Jalen's shortcomings in developing into an NFL QB could be more in his own (lack of) ability. How could you ever say that Player X "should have been developed" into something that he's never shown, without doubt, that he could be?

I am a huge fan of Jalen. I think he has shown moxy and leadership intangibles and poise that CANNOT be taught.

However, in the post game wrap up of the Alabama radio broadcast, Phil Savage all but said that Daboll's playbook has been condensed and limited by Jalen's lack of passing ability. He also said that the 2nd half performance was a much better representative of the Bama offense unleashed, with a passing talent at QB.

Daboll stays, Tua starts, Bama ROLLS.

BamaNation All-American

Daboll can't teach a quarterback to see the field. Jay Barker described it almost as a religious experience, how his eyes had been opened to the wonders of the Cover 2.

He eventually got it. Some quarterbacks never do.

Funny that the question of Daboll's job security comes up the day after our offense just played its best and most sophisticated half of football in two years.

BamaNation First Team Saban4Ever's Avatar

Thanks for the great write up, Jess. !

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Jess, thatís Championship material! Roll Tide to you sir. We were one second away from three peat. Thatís crazy if you think about it.

You deserve a phenomenal off season. Take it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by USCBAMA View Post
    Bolder than putting Tua in to start 2nd half was leaving him in after the interception which was just an awful play on his part. Most coaches would've gone back to Hurts at that point.
    In the post game press conference Saban mentioned that Tua came straight to him, put his arm around him, and assured him that he would learn from that moment. I'm sure that level of maturity helped make that decision a lot easier.

USC, I had a thought about that. He had two receivers in the general vicinity who never turned to look for his pass. I think there was a lingering "Jalen" effect at play. The receivers were blocking because they expected Tua, like Jalen, to run rather than throw. Our young lefty was thinking otherwise.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by USCBAMA View Post
    Bolder than putting Tua in to start 2nd half was leaving him in after the interception which was just an awful play on his part. Most coaches would've gone back to Hurts at that point.
    Maybe, but if youíre CNS youíve determined youíre going to lose, perhaps even get blown out, with the starter in. So if youíre playing to win rather than not to lose (and those are two very different mindsets), then there would be no justification for reverting at that point...

USC, I had a thought about that. He had two receivers in the general vicinity who never turned to look for his pass. I think there was a lingering "Jalen" effect at play. The receivers were blocking because they expected Tua, like Jalen, to run rather than throw. Our young lefty was thinking otherwise.
    Saban addressed the breakdown specifically: although he didn't outright say that Tua screwed up, he did say that there was a "mixup in calls" and that the 10 other guys were executing a run play and Tua was passing. When it happened during the game, the TV broadcast immediately showed a replay of Saban watching the play unfold. I don't remember the exact phrase, but (reading lips) Saban says something like, "What's he doing?? Everybody's blocking!!" Meaning that it was a run call and Saban couldn't understand why Tua thought he should pass it.
    Last edited by UAME; January 9th, 2018 at 02:51 PM.

Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

Thanks Jess, love your articles and insight.

Now, on to the tough question: after struggling to progress this year and questionable game plans, will Daboll be on the sidelines next year in your opinion?

I thought Daboll had far more good game plans this year than bad ones. By "far more" i don't just mean a majority. I mean most. There were a lot of times Alabama simply didn't execute.

We get trapped sometimes in a line of thinking that is pretty much a fantasy: If we succeed, the players did it; if we fail, it's because the coaches didn't do their jobs. Coach Bryant publicly preached that, but ask a former player how much they hated hearing Bryant shoulder a loss in the press, because when everyone got behind a closed practice fence later, that's when you found out whether it was really a coaching or an execution breakdown that caused the loss.

Alabama's game plan for Clemson, for instance, was one of the best of the year. Hurts completed two-thirds of his passes and had two other passes dropped. Yet the depth of analysis most people do are (1) go find the stat sheet, (2) look at the passing yard number, (3) make a judgment call based on what it says. Sometimes they'll look at the rushing yardage total just for kicks, too. Game plans are designed to win games, not put up numbers, so it's hard for me to complain about a low-output result like Clemson when it in fact did exactly what it was meant to accomplish (control field position, not commit turnovers, put Kelly Bryant in uncomfortable spots).

Georgia as a team had more impressive offensive weapons than Clemson, and you just got the feeling from about the midway point of the second quarter that a game-management effort wasn't going to be enough. So Alabama had to come up with Plan B on the fly. The fact Saban and Daboll essentially junked a month's worth of gameplanning and wrote a new plan in 30 minutes is pretty sporty.

If you want to criticize Daboll for Hurts' stalled development, that would be more fair. But I'd have to know whether Hurts has the capability to get better, or whether he's tapped out his talent. He's improved in some areas this year (fewer mistakes) but has been less dynamic. Most shockingly to me, he's been less aggressive as a runner. I think it's entirely possible that Lane Kiffin is a better QB coach but maybe Daboll is a better fit for running this offense. I liked the recommitment this year to a more vertical offense, a more downhill style of running, and I believe that you can create the identity you want if you don't try to do it too drastically, and if you're consistent about how you do it. I don't like finesse football in SEC play; it doesn't work here over the long-term.

Assuming Tua wins the starting job for 2018, we'll learn all we need to know about Daboll in short order, because Tua gives the offense the vertical component that would seem to fit his style better.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

That play is going to get understandably overlooked, but I can't overstate how big of a screw-up that was on his part. It was the worst play of his by far, the OT sack included. I've tried to think how the QB doesn't know run from pass. Pretty fundamental item if you ask me. The only thing I can do is chalk it up to him not being in a game for so long that maybe he forgot what the signals were. But that's part of the reason why he's such a big story today -- every time he made a mistake, or something in the game turned the wrong way for him, he hit back twice as hard the next time he had the opportunity.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by JessN View Post
    That play is going to get understandably overlooked, but I can't overstate how big of a screw-up that was on his part. It was the worst play of his by far, the OT sack included. I've tried to think how the QB doesn't know run from pass. Pretty fundamental item if you ask me. The only thing I can do is chalk it up to him not being in a game for so long that maybe he forgot what the signals were. But that's part of the reason why he's such a big story today -- every time he made a mistake, or something in the game turned the wrong way for him, he hit back twice as hard the next time he had the opportunity.
    And that is what the great one's have. Just when you think you've knocked them out, they come back twice as hard. "Grit" comes to mind as well. You simply can't coach it or develop it. They either have it or they don't. And this cat's got it.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon