JessN: Georgia wrap-up: Saban’s courage to make a tough call nets him a sixth title

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
USC, I had a thought about that. He had two receivers in the general vicinity who never turned to look for his pass. I think there was a lingering "Jalen" effect at play. The receivers were blocking because they expected Tua, like Jalen, to run rather than throw. Our young lefty was thinking otherwise.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Bolder than putting Tua in to start 2nd half was leaving him in after the interception which was just an awful play on his part. Most coaches would've gone back to Hurts at that point.
Maybe, but if you’re CNS you’ve determined you’re going to lose, perhaps even get blown out, with the starter in. So if you’re playing to win rather than not to lose (and those are two very different mindsets), then there would be no justification for reverting at that point...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UAME

All-SEC
Mar 28, 2000
Tuscumbia, AL
USC, I had a thought about that. He had two receivers in the general vicinity who never turned to look for his pass. I think there was a lingering "Jalen" effect at play. The receivers were blocking because they expected Tua, like Jalen, to run rather than throw. Our young lefty was thinking otherwise.
Saban addressed the breakdown specifically: although he didn't outright say that Tua screwed up, he did say that there was a "mixup in calls" and that the 10 other guys were executing a run play and Tua was passing. When it happened during the game, the TV broadcast immediately showed a replay of Saban watching the play unfold. I don't remember the exact phrase, but (reading lips) Saban says something like, "What's he doing?? Everybody's blocking!!" Meaning that it was a run call and Saban couldn't understand why Tua thought he should pass it.

Last edited:

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Thanks Jess, love your articles and insight.

Now, on to the tough question: after struggling to progress this year and questionable game plans, will Daboll be on the sidelines next year in your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought Daboll had far more good game plans this year than bad ones. By "far more" i don't just mean a majority. I mean most. There were a lot of times Alabama simply didn't execute.

We get trapped sometimes in a line of thinking that is pretty much a fantasy: If we succeed, the players did it; if we fail, it's because the coaches didn't do their jobs. Coach Bryant publicly preached that, but ask a former player how much they hated hearing Bryant shoulder a loss in the press, because when everyone got behind a closed practice fence later, that's when you found out whether it was really a coaching or an execution breakdown that caused the loss.

Alabama's game plan for Clemson, for instance, was one of the best of the year. Hurts completed two-thirds of his passes and had two other passes dropped. Yet the depth of analysis most people do are (1) go find the stat sheet, (2) look at the passing yard number, (3) make a judgment call based on what it says. Sometimes they'll look at the rushing yardage total just for kicks, too. Game plans are designed to win games, not put up numbers, so it's hard for me to complain about a low-output result like Clemson when it in fact did exactly what it was meant to accomplish (control field position, not commit turnovers, put Kelly Bryant in uncomfortable spots).

Georgia as a team had more impressive offensive weapons than Clemson, and you just got the feeling from about the midway point of the second quarter that a game-management effort wasn't going to be enough. So Alabama had to come up with Plan B on the fly. The fact Saban and Daboll essentially junked a month's worth of gameplanning and wrote a new plan in 30 minutes is pretty sporty.

If you want to criticize Daboll for Hurts' stalled development, that would be more fair. But I'd have to know whether Hurts has the capability to get better, or whether he's tapped out his talent. He's improved in some areas this year (fewer mistakes) but has been less dynamic. Most shockingly to me, he's been less aggressive as a runner. I think it's entirely possible that Lane Kiffin is a better QB coach but maybe Daboll is a better fit for running this offense. I liked the recommitment this year to a more vertical offense, a more downhill style of running, and I believe that you can create the identity you want if you don't try to do it too drastically, and if you're consistent about how you do it. I don't like finesse football in SEC play; it doesn't work here over the long-term.

Assuming Tua wins the starting job for 2018, we'll learn all we need to know about Daboll in short order, because Tua gives the offense the vertical component that would seem to fit his style better.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
That play is going to get understandably overlooked, but I can't overstate how big of a screw-up that was on his part. It was the worst play of his by far, the OT sack included. I've tried to think how the QB doesn't know run from pass. Pretty fundamental item if you ask me. The only thing I can do is chalk it up to him not being in a game for so long that maybe he forgot what the signals were. But that's part of the reason why he's such a big story today -- every time he made a mistake, or something in the game turned the wrong way for him, he hit back twice as hard the next time he had the opportunity.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
That play is going to get understandably overlooked, but I can't overstate how big of a screw-up that was on his part. It was the worst play of his by far, the OT sack included. I've tried to think how the QB doesn't know run from pass. Pretty fundamental item if you ask me. The only thing I can do is chalk it up to him not being in a game for so long that maybe he forgot what the signals were. But that's part of the reason why he's such a big story today -- every time he made a mistake, or something in the game turned the wrong way for him, he hit back twice as hard the next time he had the opportunity.
And that is what the great one's have. Just when you think you've knocked them out, they come back twice as hard. "Grit" comes to mind as well. You simply can't coach it or develop it. They either have it or they don't. And this cat's got it.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I think Daboll will be better next season with a better skilled QB (mind you, I am not taking a shot at Hurts) at the helm. I still hope Jalen does not transfer and decides his future might be better at another position.

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
I think it’s fair to see a QB regress a bit when they’re trying to change. Hard part is that Bama’s talent level is unforgiving. The team will not suffer one player’s learning curve. Just the way it is.

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
I thought Daboll had far more good game plans this year than bad ones. By "far more" i don't just mean a majority. I mean most. There were a lot of times Alabama simply didn't execute.

We get trapped sometimes in a line of thinking that is pretty much a fantasy: If we succeed, the players did it; if we fail, it's because the coaches didn't do their jobs. Coach Bryant publicly preached that, but ask a former player how much they hated hearing Bryant shoulder a loss in the press, because when everyone got behind a closed practice fence later, that's when you found out whether it was really a coaching or an execution breakdown that caused the loss.

Alabama's game plan for Clemson, for instance, was one of the best of the year. Hurts completed two-thirds of his passes and had two other passes dropped. Yet the depth of analysis most people do are (1) go find the stat sheet, (2) look at the passing yard number, (3) make a judgment call based on what it says. Sometimes they'll look at the rushing yardage total just for kicks, too. Game plans are designed to win games, not put up numbers, so it's hard for me to complain about a low-output result like Clemson when it in fact did exactly what it was meant to accomplish (control field position, not commit turnovers, put Kelly Bryant in uncomfortable spots).

Georgia as a team had more impressive offensive weapons than Clemson, and you just got the feeling from about the midway point of the second quarter that a game-management effort wasn't going to be enough. So Alabama had to come up with Plan B on the fly. The fact Saban and Daboll essentially junked a month's worth of gameplanning and wrote a new plan in 30 minutes is pretty sporty.

If you want to criticize Daboll for Hurts' stalled development, that would be more fair. But I'd have to know whether Hurts has the capability to get better, or whether he's tapped out his talent. He's improved in some areas this year (fewer mistakes) but has been less dynamic. Most shockingly to me, he's been less aggressive as a runner. I think it's entirely possible that Lane Kiffin is a better QB coach but maybe Daboll is a better fit for running this offense. I liked the recommitment this year to a more vertical offense, a more downhill style of running, and I believe that you can create the identity you want if you don't try to do it too drastically, and if you're consistent about how you do it. I don't like finesse football in SEC play; it doesn't work here over the long-term.

Assuming Tua wins the starting job for 2018, we'll learn all we need to know about Daboll in short order, because Tua gives the offense the vertical component that would seem to fit his style better.
I wouldn’t change a thing about last night. But, I have a sneaky suspicion that Tua is a gunslinger that will do great things but break our hearts at times. Yes. I’m that guy. But, unless Hurts shows us that impressive difference, we have to go with Tua at this point. I’m just not convinced that his success isn’t mere luck and talented supporting cast at this point.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
I love the Title of your article Jess N Saban’s courage to make a tough call nets him a sixth title! I would like to think we could say add evolve at a age that it becomes harder to do.That was hard decision for Coach I'm sure.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I wouldn’t change a thing about last night. But, I have a sneaky suspicion that Tua is a gunslinger that will do great things but break our hearts at times. Yes. I’m that guy. But, unless Hurts shows us that impressive difference, we have to go with Tua at this point. I’m just not convinced that his success isn’t mere luck and talented supporting cast at this point.
He's Johnny Manziel with a moral compass and without a potential disposition toward chemical dependency.

So we may be about to see what that kind of skill set (good and bad) looks like in a guy with his head screwed on right and surrounded by a lot of talent and coaches who don't ignore defensive concepts. It will be interesting.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
He's Johnny Manziel with a moral compass and without a potential disposition toward chemical dependency.

So we may be about to see what that kind of skill set (good and bad) looks like in a guy with his head screwed on right and surrounded by a lot of talent and coaches who don't ignore defensive concepts. It will be interesting.
Tua has the best arm that I have ever witnessed in a QB playing at Alabama. I did see Namath and Stabler (and Todd) in the NFL but did not see them play in college (at the time they played).

You had to know in the spring game that this guy could be - no, that he would be - something special. It was only a matter of time. I honestly thought it would take longer. I'm very glad for him and the team that he made the most of his opportunity and look forward to watching a special talent.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I always enjoy your recaps, Jess. This was one of your best. I totally agree that Coach Saban doesn't ever get the look for Coach of the Year honors that he deserves. This has to be his best effort ever. Truly a magical season. This is one that I will savor for a very long time. I was blessed to grow up during Coach Bryant's years (including going to UA during the 70's) and having my son play in the MDB for 2 of Coach Saban's National Championships. I grew up as a Tide fan and will always be one. What a lucky guy I am...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Love the write up. You guys know how much I love Jalen, but putting in Tua was like putting in Watson - He looked that good, and had that kind of impact on the game.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Tua has the best arm that I have ever witnessed in a QB playing at Alabama. I did see Namath and Stabler (and Todd) in the NFL but did not see them play in college (at the time they played).
You had to know in the spring game that this guy could be - no, that he would be - something special. It was only a matter of time. I honestly thought it would take longer. I'm very glad for him and the team that he made the most of his opportunity and look forward to watching a special talent.
I am one in the group who saw Namath, Stabler, Hunter, Todd and those that followed. I thought yesterday how Tua's arm stacked up against Stabler and concluded that Tua is just much larger and stronger than The Snake.. I saw Stabler as a sophomore and onward. He was quite thin and wiry and a very elusive runner hence his nickname. He gained significant weight and suffered some leg injuries while in the NFL. In comparison to Tua Namath definitely comes to mind in terms of arm strength.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Love the write up. You guys know how much I love Jalen, but putting in Tua was like putting in Watson - He looked that good, and had that kind of impact on the game.
He's a game changer. After watching Tua peform on that big stage Monday night. The difference between the two quarterbacks reminded me of the difference between watching D Watson play QB at Clemson and K Bryant. It's no knock on Bryant, he's a very talented player. But D Watson has that "it" factor that jumps off the screen when you watch him play. Tua is a game changer on a D Watson type level.

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011

What do think the possibility is of both QBs sticking around? I think most fans are assuming that this Tua’s team and Jalen may transfer. But, based on reports, playing Tua in that situation may have been part of the game plan. He was rumored to get PT against Clemson. But Jalen and rushing attack was working. It obviously didn’t against Georgia. I don’t think I’d want to see a two QB system. But, it wouldn’t surprise me if we tried it. Saban would go with the hot hand.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
In the post game press conference Saban mentioned that Tua came straight to him, put his arm around him, and assured him that he would learn from that moment. I'm sure that level of maturity helped make that decision a lot easier.
I saw the little conversation between Coach Saban and Tagovailoa during the game and it looked just as described. While there was mention of rotating the QB's during the second half, I think Coach Saban was looking for two things with Tagovailoa; one was if the offense opened up and two was to see how Tagovailoa looked once he started playing (basically body language).

Tagovailoa still looked confident and under control after a couple of "not-so-good" series and I think Coach Saban saw that. A deer in the headlights look would probably have put Hurts back on the field.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.