JessN: Georgia wrap-up: Sabanís courage to make a tough call nets him a sixth title - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC CrimsonTheory's Avatar

Re: Georgia wrap-up: Sabanís courage to make a tough call nets him a sixth title

I think Daboll will be better next season with a better skilled QB (mind you, I am not taking a shot at Hurts) at the helm. I still hope Jalen does not transfer and decides his future might be better at another position.
    the former CrimsonBleedRed.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: Georgia wrap-up: Sabanís courage to make a tough call nets him a sixth title

I think itís fair to see a QB regress a bit when theyíre trying to change. Hard part is that Bamaís talent level is unforgiving. The team will not suffer one playerís learning curve. Just the way it is.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by JessN View Post
    I thought Daboll had far more good game plans this year than bad ones. By "far more" i don't just mean a majority. I mean most. There were a lot of times Alabama simply didn't execute.

We get trapped sometimes in a line of thinking that is pretty much a fantasy: If we succeed, the players did it; if we fail, it's because the coaches didn't do their jobs. Coach Bryant publicly preached that, but ask a former player how much they hated hearing Bryant shoulder a loss in the press, because when everyone got behind a closed practice fence later, that's when you found out whether it was really a coaching or an execution breakdown that caused the loss.

Alabama's game plan for Clemson, for instance, was one of the best of the year. Hurts completed two-thirds of his passes and had two other passes dropped. Yet the depth of analysis most people do are (1) go find the stat sheet, (2) look at the passing yard number, (3) make a judgment call based on what it says. Sometimes they'll look at the rushing yardage total just for kicks, too. Game plans are designed to win games, not put up numbers, so it's hard for me to complain about a low-output result like Clemson when it in fact did exactly what it was meant to accomplish (control field position, not commit turnovers, put Kelly Bryant in uncomfortable spots).

Georgia as a team had more impressive offensive weapons than Clemson, and you just got the feeling from about the midway point of the second quarter that a game-management effort wasn't going to be enough. So Alabama had to come up with Plan B on the fly. The fact Saban and Daboll essentially junked a month's worth of gameplanning and wrote a new plan in 30 minutes is pretty sporty.

If you want to criticize Daboll for Hurts' stalled development, that would be more fair. But I'd have to know whether Hurts has the capability to get better, or whether he's tapped out his talent. He's improved in some areas this year (fewer mistakes) but has been less dynamic. Most shockingly to me, he's been less aggressive as a runner. I think it's entirely possible that Lane Kiffin is a better QB coach but maybe Daboll is a better fit for running this offense. I liked the recommitment this year to a more vertical offense, a more downhill style of running, and I believe that you can create the identity you want if you don't try to do it too drastically, and if you're consistent about how you do it. I don't like finesse football in SEC play; it doesn't work here over the long-term.

Assuming Tua wins the starting job for 2018, we'll learn all we need to know about Daboll in short order, because Tua gives the offense the vertical component that would seem to fit his style better.
    I wouldnít change a thing about last night. But, I have a sneaky suspicion that Tua is a gunslinger that will do great things but break our hearts at times. Yes. Iím that guy. But, unless Hurts shows us that impressive difference, we have to go with Tua at this point. Iím just not convinced that his success isnít mere luck and talented supporting cast at this point.

I love the Title of your article Jess N Saban’s courage to make a tough call nets him a sixth title! I would like to think we could say add evolve at a age that it becomes harder to do.That was hard decision for Coach I'm sure.
    This is the beginning of a new day.God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or or use it for good.What I do today is very important because Im exchanging a day of my life for it.When tommorow comes,this day will be gone forever. Leaving something in its place I have traded for it. I want it to be a gain, not loss - good, not evil. Success, not failure in order that I Shall not forget the price I paid for it.

Well put, Jess. IMO, this is one of your best articles ever. What an enjoyable read.

Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

Quote Originally Posted by bamakeeb View Post
    I wouldn’t change a thing about last night. But, I have a sneaky suspicion that Tua is a gunslinger that will do great things but break our hearts at times. Yes. I’m that guy. But, unless Hurts shows us that impressive difference, we have to go with Tua at this point. I’m just not convinced that his success isn’t mere luck and talented supporting cast at this point.
    He's Johnny Manziel with a moral compass and without a potential disposition toward chemical dependency.

So we may be about to see what that kind of skill set (good and bad) looks like in a guy with his head screwed on right and surrounded by a lot of talent and coaches who don't ignore defensive concepts. It will be interesting.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

BamaNation All-American

It could be extraordinary.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

He's Johnny Manziel with a moral compass and without a potential disposition toward chemical dependency.

So we may be about to see what that kind of skill set (good and bad) looks like in a guy with his head screwed on right and surrounded by a lot of talent and coaches who don't ignore defensive concepts. It will be interesting.
    Tua has the best arm that I have ever witnessed in a QB playing at Alabama. I did see Namath and Stabler (and Todd) in the NFL but did not see them play in college (at the time they played).

You had to know in the spring game that this guy could be - no, that he would be - something special. It was only a matter of time. I honestly thought it would take longer. I'm very glad for him and the team that he made the most of his opportunity and look forward to watching a special talent.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

I always enjoy your recaps, Jess. This was one of your best. I totally agree that Coach Saban doesn't ever get the look for Coach of the Year honors that he deserves. This has to be his best effort ever. Truly a magical season. This is one that I will savor for a very long time. I was blessed to grow up during Coach Bryant's years (including going to UA during the 70's) and having my son play in the MDB for 2 of Coach Saban's National Championships. I grew up as a Tide fan and will always be one. What a lucky guy I am...

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Love the write up. You guys know how much I love Jalen, but putting in Tua was like putting in Watson - He looked that good, and had that kind of impact on the game.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Tua has the best arm that I have ever witnessed in a QB playing at Alabama. I did see Namath and Stabler (and Todd) in the NFL but did not see them play in college (at the time they played).
    You had to know in the spring game that this guy could be - no, that he would be - something special. It was only a matter of time. I honestly thought it would take longer. I'm very glad for him and the team that he made the most of his opportunity and look forward to watching a special talent.
    I am one in the group who saw Namath, Stabler, Hunter, Todd and those that followed. I thought yesterday how Tua's arm stacked up against Stabler and concluded that Tua is just much larger and stronger than The Snake.. I saw Stabler as a sophomore and onward. He was quite thin and wiry and a very elusive runner hence his nickname. He gained significant weight and suffered some leg injuries while in the NFL. In comparison to Tua Namath definitely comes to mind in terms of arm strength.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Love the write up. You guys know how much I love Jalen, but putting in Tua was like putting in Watson - He looked that good, and had that kind of impact on the game.
    He's a game changer. After watching Tua peform on that big stage Monday night. The difference between the two quarterbacks reminded me of the difference between watching D Watson play QB at Clemson and K Bryant. It's no knock on Bryant, he's a very talented player. But D Watson has that "it" factor that jumps off the screen when you watch him play. Tua is a game changer on a D Watson type level.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Second Team

What do think the possibility is of both QBs sticking around? I think most fans are assuming that this Tuaís team and Jalen may transfer. But, based on reports, playing Tua in that situation may have been part of the game plan. He was rumored to get PT against Clemson. But Jalen and rushing attack was working. It obviously didnít against Georgia. I donít think Iíd want to see a two QB system. But, it wouldnít surprise me if we tried it. Saban would go with the hot hand.