Kicker - Next Year

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
I'm waiting for the day when we'll have a kicker who can kick 100-yard field goals. "Well, it's 4th and 15 from our own 7-yard line. Guess we'll have to settle for 3 points again."

brownsnake42

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 11, 2008
Cartersville, GA
A preferred walk on has been offered (according to the player) to a kicker from Cartersville, GA by the name of Jonathan Cruz. Played at the same school as Miller Forestall and Trevor Lawrence. Missed one FG all year. He kicked a 55 yard FG (outdoors) in the final game of the year for Cartersville. Consistently put the ball out of the back of the end zone on kickoffs and was 100% on PATs. Ball explodes off of his foot.

I watched the all-american games and he is better than any kicker that played in those games. I am scratching my head as to why nobody is more interested in him. Oh well...

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I know we recruited a punter but not sure about the kicker except from reading this thread. I hope the punter is as good as JK Scott or at least almost as good.

Maybe we can find a kicker from the soccer team at a high school or JR college? Those guys know how to kick and be accurate.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Alabama has been snakebit at the position, they've been giving out scholarships, even having overlapping periods of kickers on scholarship, but since Tiffin there have been perpetual issues with finding a do it all place kicker.

First, Alabama had a scholarship place kicker they never really used and transferred. I guess things really got crazy with AG. He has back trouble during his time at Alabama, so it's hard to say how much that impacted his performance, we can say it kept Alabama from landing Carlson. Then, Alabama has Eddy Pineiro committed. He decommits after AG seems to solidify his hold in place kicking duties in the championship game. For the record Eddy is a perfect 5/5 from 50+. Then Alabama has a commitment from Brandon Ruiz, looks like he might be the best kicker in the class. It might have had to do with Blake Barnett, but he ends up going to Arizona State. He was perfect under 40 and has range extends out to 50+. His replacement was Bulovas who did not play.

So, Alabama basically had 3 good kickers they could have landed under slightly different circumstances. That's crazy, but it is what it is.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
It's weird because growing up we had Peter Kim to Van Tiffin to Michael Proctor to Phillip Doyle. It seemed we always had a great kicker, but we went many years with only one national championship. I'll take an average kicker and titles any day, but I know what you guys mean. It does seem odd that weird things seem to happen at that position lately. Maybe it's like someone else stated, it just wouldn't be fair if we had a great kicker. Other teams have to have some chance.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Kicking is the most mental position on the field. Coach will always struggle fo have a top kicker unless a once in a generation player comes along. He puts way too much pressure on his kickers. Treats them like all the other players. You cant have kickers looking over their shoulder worrying about every kick they miss in practice and whether or not coach saw it. I know two previous bama coaches pretty well and both have said Coach gets in their mind and they cant handle the added pressure.

I kicked in HS and can see how this could definitely be an issue. Especially, not having a kicking coach on staff.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I'm still wondering how we missed on Carlson. His whole family was Bama. Ugh!
He must have wanted to major in catfish technology, or artificial bovine insemination, or an equivalent field. I can’t see another reason to pass up Bama for the Lee County cesspool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
He must have wanted to major in catfish technology, or artificial bovine insemination, or an equivalent field. I can’t see another reason to pass up Bama for the Lee County cesspool?

I’m pretty sure he chose them because we didn’t offer a scholarship. That’s what I remember anyway. Why we didn’t I have no idea.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I’m pretty sure he chose them because we didn’t offer a scholarship. That’s what I remember anyway. Why we didn’t I have no idea.
Yeah, Bama has been known for not using scholarships on kickers/punters very loosely....and I have never understood that..a position that can potentially be one of your top scoring individual players over a career, doesn’t usually get the attention like I think they should. A top FG kicker could have saved a lot of distress last night! (But since the outcome was what it was, it made it just a little sweeter!!!!!!)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Yeah, Bama has been known for not using scholarships on kickers/punters very loosely....
Actually Saban has been giving out a lot of scholarships on special teams, heck Georgia's guy wasn't on scholarship at first, while Alabama had a place kicker on scholarship sitting on the bench.

The reason Carlson didn't come to Alabama is that Alabama already had the supposedly #1 place kicker out of high school on scholarship. You only have 85/25, you can't give them all to place kickers, Alabama has even had multiple place kickers on scholarship at one time. They've just been snakebit.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I hear Bama is searching the Hawaiian Islands for a kicker.
My intel is it's the Greek Isles - because every championship team needs an Achilles foot to bring out the best in them - and "hamstring" them just enough that opponents actually believe they have a chance to prevail...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.