Question: Was it the play calling or the execution?

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
Changing gears a little bit. A little concerned with the progress of Jalen with Dabol as the QB coach. We know Tua could pass the ball coming in so he may not need as much help or maybe it's Jalen who know just a thought for me going forward.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I would hope that the answer to that question is that Jalen does what he needs to do to step up his passing and reading abilities. Being a wildcat QB isn't going to help him beyond playing in college. If he wants to play in the NFL, he could switch positions, or really work on his weaknesses. I hope he opts to improve. I don't know if it will be enough though. The skills that Tua seems to possess can't be easily learned in the amount of time between now and opening game. But he can get better. I really don't know what the best answer is for him. I really like the kid and want to see him succeed and make all of his dreams come true, however he has to go about making that happen.
If he wants to be a starting QB his last two years of college he probably needs to transfer. If he doesn't mind being a backup then the obvious answer is to stay at Bama. His third option is changing positions. Which to be honest I have no idea which position would best suit him. I'll defer that to some of the former coaches on the board.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
If he wants to be a starting QB his last two years of college he probably needs to transfer. If he doesn't mind being a backup then the obvious answer is to stay at Bama. His third option is changing positions. Which to be honest I have no idea which position would best suit him. I'll defer that to some of the former coaches on the board.
No Coach but I think he would be a good H-back. Catching the ball out of the backfield would be hard to defend with his speed. He is also big enough to be an affected blocker and runner.

CincinnatiAlum

2nd Team
Aug 9, 2004
Daboll calls a completely different game with jalen in the game ... they just don't trust his arm as much as Tua (for obvious reasons). However, when you cannot create any vertical game, you cannot run either. Tua was exactly what this team needed! You could even see the receivers had a new pep in their step when he came in. We have way too many amazing young receivers in Jeudy, Thompson, Ruggs, and staple Ridley for them to have so few catches this year and this game!

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
In a pro system the quarterback doing that (holding the safety with his eyes) is a part of the play. The quarterback is responsible for manipulating certain things to get the play to work. It's not just call a play and the play by itself gets players open. Granted, there are plays like that. But in a pro style system using one's eyes to manipulate coverage is a nuance built into A LOT of pro style passing.
Yep, it's just something we haven't grown accustomed to seeing alot of. Though I'm not fond of Mayfield, it's something he does pretty well in his game as well

Tzyoung

Nov 8, 2017
"Was it the play calling or the execution?"

Yes.

The play calling was pretty bad at points in the first half, though if Hurts had made a few of the throws he was asked to I suspect the play-calling wouldn't have looked so pedestrian and predictable. It certainly seems that Hurts' limitations limited the play calling. You saw how differently the play-calling looked in the second half - give Daboll and guy who can handle the entire playbook and look out...

For example - Tua had 1/10th as many attempts in one half of the game as Hurts had in 14 games this year (admittedly, that's probably only about 12 full games as Tua played decent amount in the second half earlier this season).

But still, the difference in the play-calling was incredible. UGA spent the entire second half on their heels, guessing, never having any idea what Bama was getting ready to do. I had no idea what Bama was going to do pre-snap, either.

Seems pretty obvious to me that Tua's arm and quick reads / decision making allowed Daboll to open up the playbook.
I agree playbook was limited with jalen just because he wasn't confident enough to make any throws that weren't WIDE open. Tua really showed what the offense should look like when the pass has to be respected.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I think Hurts' limitations in the passing game limited Daboll's options of the plays he could call. There was a point when Tua was in the game and we were driving (again) about to score (again). Herbie made the comment that went something like "Now Daboll isn't so handcuffed in play calling anymore.". I think that comment lets me know what Herbie thought the problem was and it echoed what all the other former players now turned analyst (save Tebow) were saying. That Jalen's limitations in the passing game handcuffed the offense.
I have been a steadfast supporter of Jalen Hurts... BUT... Georgia had his number and Hurts wasn't making plays when they were there.
The fact that Coach Saban chose to start Tua in the second half, had to go against the grain in CNS. (Mine Too), BUT... Tua made a believer out of me. He made a number of foolish Freshman mistakes, but he was playing a great team. Tua didn't let a mistake carry over to the next play. Georgia didn't have an answer when we opened up the playbook for Tua.
(Sometimes a little GUNSLINGER is a great thing)
No one has proclaimed Tua to be the new starter... BUT... Lots of people are expecting a wild Spring, and Tua just might earn that title.

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
Jalen has regressed. This isn't the kid that was fearless and throwing deep vs USC from a year ago. This is a qb scared to make a simple throw. I'd have to say that is coaching. Its been beaten into his head not to throw a pick. Game plans have been designed to limit his throwing and use his legs. Its not allowed for his development as a qb. I'd almost prefer for him to transfer to Fau so he can get the instruction he needs to be a successful qb in the future.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
This was a point the coaches noted repeatedly on the "Coaches Film Room" broadcast of the game (which I watched most of the night). Our WR's were not getting separation on many of the called pass plays - both for Jalen and for Tua.
Our offensive staff is not big on quick, efficient route trees.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
I believe Georgia had spent their time scheming for Jalen and spent very little time scheming for Tua. No one, I mean no one expected him to go in. Hard to defend against. We did something outside of our normal routine.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I believe Georgia had spent their time scheming for Jalen and spent very little time scheming for Tua. No one, I mean no one expected him to go in. Hard to defend against. We did something outside of our normal routine.
kirby mentioned that they had worked on the possibility that tua would play. it obviously didn't work that well.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I'd say it's both, and which way it leans depends on the player. Hurts, as physically talented as he is, clearly has limitations which limited the offense. I'd almost say he has no confidence in his throwing ability. Once Tua was in, the offense, as a whole, looked extremely smooth, and UGA was guessing way more about what Alabama was going to do. This was despite the pressure being brought to bear due to the score and time left in the game.
This was my thought. It has seemed the entire year we just weren't very rhythmic with our offensive flow. Tua seemed to make the machine run well.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
This was my thought. It has seemed the entire year we just weren't very rhythmic with our offensive flow. Tua seemed to make the machine run well.
Yup. It became clear as day in the 3rd quarter that Daboll has been calling plays with both hands chained behind his back all season. I'd love to see what he can do next year, if he sticks around.

For those who've been down on our OC: note that it's important not to overcook the crow.

Crow and Mushroom Stew

3 crows
1 Tbsp lard/shortening
1 pint stock or gravy
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup mushrooms
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper

- Clean and cut crows into small portions and let them cook a short time in the lard/shortening in a saucepan, being careful not to brown them.
- Next, add to the contents of the pan, the stock or gravy, and salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
- Simmer 1 hour, or until tender, add mushrooms, simmer 10 minutes more and then stir in cream.
- Arrange the mushrooms around the crows on a hot platter.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Yup. It became clear as day in the 3rd quarter that Daboll has been calling plays with both hands chained behind his back all season. I'd love to see what he can do next year, if he sticks around.

For those who've been down on our OC: note that it's important not to overcook the crow.

Crow and Mushroom Stew

3 crows
1 Tbsp lard/shortening
1 pint stock or gravy
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup mushrooms
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper

- Clean and cut crows into small portions and let them cook a short time in the lard/shortening in a saucepan, being careful not to brown them.
- Next, add to the contents of the pan, the stock or gravy, and salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
- Simmer 1 hour, or until tender, add mushrooms, simmer 10 minutes more and then stir in cream.
Haven't tried this recipe... :D

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Coach Stallings always said: "Jimmies and Joes are more important than Xs and Os." Related to this discussion, I take that to mean that talent and execution is more important than play calling. But I do feel like Daboll is more comfortable calling plays for Tua than for Jalen. His talent is a better fit for the pro-style offense Daboll is familiar with.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
It was clearly the execution. CNS and Daboll had been trying to develop Jalen as a drop back passer. That is one of the reasons Jalen came to Alabama was to develop as a pro style passer. It simply wasn't happening. At the end of the day CNS wants to be in a multiple pro style offense. He doesn't mind some QB runs and some RPO elements sprinkled in, but he's not trying to run Auburn's Mickey Mouse draw it up in the sand nonsense. Everyone was yelling at Daboll, but he couldn't go out and make the throws and reads for the QB.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
I'm not going to cut Daboll slack on his play calling based upon Jalen's inability to execute. I see his play calling as a lack of creativity. What do I mean? Jalen is not a pocket passer. Why does Daboll insist on trying to fit a square peg into a round hole? His play calling looks good when Tua is in, because Tua can execute what Daboll wants. However, Daboll doesn't have a clue how to use Jalen. Kiffen was able to squeeze more out of Jalen than Daboll.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

Crow and Mushroom Stew

3 crows
1 Tbsp lard/shortening
1 pint stock or gravy
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup mushrooms
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper

I'll wait another season before preparing this. If next season conforms to the second half Monday night then I'll get it cooking. :)

But he will get a whole lot more slack going into next season before I voice any displeasure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.