Could Tua become Alabama's first QB to win a Heisman?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I realize it was only one game but going into next season I think Tua will be viewed by many as one of the top tier QB's in the nation. If he continues to get better I think he has a very good chance. Maybe not next season but certainly his junior year he could be.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It's funny. I was thinking about starting a post discussing how Tua hype is about to go off the rails. I think your question is valid but I have seen people already anoint him the next Russell Wilson and discuss his pro prospects. Tua is about to have insane expectations put on him that I'm not sure many if any QBs have ever had to deal with.

But, as to your question, I see no reason for him to not get some preseason hype for it. He is clearly a big time play maker, has a ton of talent around him, and can make plays with both his legs and arm. He is (or will likely be) the face of the Alabama offense which clearly helps. I wouldn't EXPECT a Heisman out of him yet but I think its fair to at least wonder if maybe he has what it takes at this point.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I'll say this, he's handling this spotlight with class and dignity and when you see some of the other guys out there present and past who have had big time spotlight on them and how they've acted ....you just have to :)
:) :)

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
He definitely has the WOW factor that the voters gravitate to. Combine that with if he has numbers then I would say a big yes. Too soon to know.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I'll say this, he's handling this spotlight with class and dignity and when you see some of the other guys out there present and past who have had big time spotlight on them and how they've acted ....you just have to :)
:) :)
He's certainly a polar opposite of Baker Mayfield from a personality and demeanor standpoint.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
He could, but I'm not sure I want him to be. He just had a huge moment, a huge game, but under what circumstance? The game was on the line. The best position Alabama can possibly be in, is to have Tua sitting on the bench after another blowout game watching his backup play. You have to have Heisman moments and really air the ball out, and Alabama is best at avoiding the necessity for those things.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
McElroy broached that very possibility this morning with the Garlic er Golic Boys - used his pert-near Rhodes Scholar acumen to make a mighty convincing case for Tua in the Heisman candidate ascendancy. Good thinker, GMac - second only to Joey Galloway (!) in assessing Tua's shredding Cover-2 in launching his nuclear strike. McElroy also was "It" factoring him all over the planet with great exultation.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
He might be a generational talent. No way to know. Little early. First he has to win the quarterback position for next season.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I do want to pump the brakes just a bit. I am pretty excited after having seen what this kid can do when it mattered, and think he has a very high ceiling. But I don't want to overstate it all too early.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
The two quarters of meaningful football were the two most high pressure quarters a quarterback can possibly play. I just don't think Tua is going to crack under the pressure. He is so grounded in his family and faith he even cut off the journalist to make a point of thanking his lord and savior. I just don't see this kid as the kind of guy who is going to start letting his fame tune him into a prima donna. I think he's going to get real Heisman consideration but those things are fickle so I'll just wait to see about that.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
The two quarters of meaningful football were the two most high pressure quarters a quarterback can possibly play. I just don't think Tua is going to crack under the pressure. He is so grounded in his family and faith he even cut off the journalist to make a point of thanking his lord and savior. I just don't see this kid as the kind of guy who is going to start letting his fame tune him into a prima donna. I think he's going to get real Heisman consideration but those things are fickle so I'll just wait to see about that.
Agreed. I think he's already passed the crucible test.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
McElroy broached that very possibility this morning with the Garlic er Golic Boys - used his pert-near Rhodes Scholar acumen to make a mighty convincing case for Tua in the Heisman candidate ascendancy. Good thinker, GMac - second only to Joey Galloway (!) in assessing Tua's shredding Cover-2 in launching his nuclear strike. McElroy also was "It" factoring him all over the planet with great exultation.

"pert-near" LOL!!!

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I do want to pump the brakes just a bit. I am pretty excited after having seen what this kid can do when it mattered, and think he has a very high ceiling. But I don't want to overstate it all too early.
Pump the brakes? Seriously? It's just a thread on a discussion board. That's what these things are for.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Pump the brakes? Seriously? It's just a thread on a discussion board. That's what these things are for.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I really mean on my own expectations. I was just saying for all to see that I am dialing it back so I am not disappointed if he becomes less than Super QB. It's very possible he only ends up as a very good QB, and not the next Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers/Dan Marino/John Elway/whoever.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.