The 7 Juniors - Who is coming out early?

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
FWIW, this is the first year I can recall that the thought of losing any of the juniors doesn't really make me worry - I'd love to have them ALL return, but even if those listed all leave, Bama is in great shape.

RTR
I don't know. I think losing Minkah is going to hurt. He has been quite the player for us, and I don't know who can replace him. I can see replacements at other positions, but not his.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I don't know. I think losing Minkah is going to hurt. He has been quite the player for us, and I don't know who can replace him. I can see replacements at other positions, but not his.
Nobody can immediately replace him and the loss of him AND Harrison would hurt a LOT. The 2 players from the secondary who are staying behind that show promise are Deointe Thompson and Trevon Diggs - the rest are rather untested. Would be great for Harrison to stay and keep developing into a Landon Collins type Alpha.

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017
Nobody can immediately replace him and the loss of him AND Harrison would hurt a LOT. The 2 players from the secondary who are staying behind that show promise are Deointe Thompson and Trevon Diggs - the rest are rather untested. Would be great for Harrison to stay and keep developing into a Landon Collins type Alpha.

I would not be surprised to see Saivon Smith become the alpha..

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Maybe it's because I knew this was Minkah's last year before the season even started, but I'm not worried. The secondary will absolutely be a work in progress next year, but they can't beat you if the QB is trying to throw the ball lying on his back. The front seven should be crazy good next year.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
No. There are STRICT rules about not posting political content on the football board. How have you been a member here since 2009 and not know that? THere's a WHOLE thread on the Bo thing over in the Non-Sports section.
Please don't quote material that has a great chance of being deleted.

He has plenty of time to think about whether or not he wishes to respect site policies.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Maybe it's because I knew this was Minkah's last year before the season even started, but I'm not worried. The secondary will absolutely be a work in progress next year, but they can't beat you if the QB is trying to throw the ball lying on his back. The front seven should be crazy good next year.
Deonte Thompson played great in the last two games. Shy Carter was out on the field during some of Georgia's drives in the second half. We have the #1 JUCO DB already on campus. Diggs should be solid after having a year to learn the position behind Levi and Anthony.

Experience won't be great, but the potential is clearly there. Even better news is most of the guys will be expected to be back for 2019.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
A more efficient offense next year would take some pressure off the young secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Experience won't be great, but the potential is clearly there. Even better news is most of the guys will be expected to be back for 2019.
Yh, crazy talent will be back there, but we will lack experience, which is why I call it a work in progress. We'll likely see some blown coverages as they develop, but I think they won't be left hanging out there as the front seven will be very, very good. The LB corps next year is going to be ridiculous.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
My worry with the secondary is that I think this is the first time we don't really have guys who were players in the sub packages who will move into regular roles. Normally we'd see the Star or the Money guys move over to CB or S and we'd have some real game experience, but now all six of the dime package DBs are gone. Now we have Thompson, who got two games worth of experience, and Diggs who was a starter in one game and got pulled for Wallace, and hasn't done much since. Everyone else has mop up duty for the most part.

RE the front, losing Payne is a big, big deal. We don't have the next guy in line for him as an immovable interior force. Davis, Buggs, Williams and Ray are all great, just different types of DL than Payne. Frazier was ok in relief of Payne sometimes, but got moved out of his spot more often than he should. At least with the way the injuries played out at ILB, losing Evans and SDH isn't quite as hard since Mack and Moses both got a lot of real game reps. Mack could be a one year starter then gone after the way he played after he returned.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Yh, crazy talent will be back there, but we will lack experience, which is why I call it a work in progress. We'll likely see some blown coverages as they develop, but I think they won't be left hanging out there as the front seven will be very, very good. The LB corps next year is going to be ridiculous.
The Bible says love covers a multitude of sins, and in the same vein a great pass rush will cover up a multitude of secondary issues. I don't think they will be bad especially if Harrison decides to come back. They will grow as the season goes. The first three games should give them time to grow a little and then A&M will be at BDS. They will most likely transition to a little bit more of a pro style offense from the true spread they have run in years past. It will be interesting see what direction CJF takes them schematically.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My worry with the secondary is that I think this is the first time we don't really have guys who were players in the sub packages who will move into regular roles. Normally we'd see the Star or the Money guys move over to CB or S and we'd have some real game experience, but now all six of the dime package DBs are gone. Now we have Thompson, who got two games worth of experience, and Diggs who was a starter in one game and got pulled for Wallace, and hasn't done much since. Everyone else has mop up duty for the most part.

RE the front, losing Payne is a big, big deal. We don't have the next guy in line for him as an immovable interior force. Davis, Buggs, Williams and Ray are all great, just different types of DL than Payne. Frazier was ok in relief of Payne sometimes, but got moved out of his spot more often than he should. At least with the way the injuries played out at ILB, losing Evans and SDH isn't quite as hard since Mack and Moses both got a lot of real game reps. Mack could be a one year starter then gone after the way he played after he returned.
Some talk that Phidarian Mathis was fantastic on scout team, and the staff was close to playing him late in the season because of injuries. They didn't want to play him to hopefully have the extra year with him. At 6'4, 300+, he could be the guy to replace Payne.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Some talk that Phidarian Mathis was fantastic on scout team, and the staff was close to playing him late in the season because of injuries. They didn't want to play him to hopefully have the extra year with him. At 6'4, 300+, he could be the guy to replace Payne.
Interesting, he is one of the guys I expected to play some this year. Excited to see what he and Ray can do next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.