We should find a way to keep both Tua and Jalen engaged and involved

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Jalen as H-Back or in a wildcat short yardage package would be where he could make the biggest contribution. Even though everybody knows the wildcat is a running formation it normally still works pretty well. The defense would be taking a risk to completely sell out to stop the run with Jalen in wildcat because he is capable of throwing..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It was a term originated by Bill Parcells in describing Dave Meggett. It's basically players who excelled in space. Reggie Bush, David Palmer, Percy Harvin, ie.
Problem is JH isn't that type of player. He's a bull in a china shop. At full speed he's pretty elusive but not in tight spaces.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Does even the threat of Jalen leaving make Lawrence or Purdy a sudden priority? Or does Coach feel pretty good that they can keep both on the team?

rtr

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Does even the threat of Jalen leaving make Lawrence or Purdy a sudden priority? Or does Coach feel pretty good that they can keep both on the team?

rtr
I would NEVER want to even think about Alabama having to play a team that has J. H. as it's QB. Here's hoping that he stays at Alabama. There could be games where you just can't pass against an outstanding secondary. Then insert J. H. Problem solved. He'd run it down their throats. I was honestly hoping to see BOTH Tua and J. H. in the same backfield for Monday night's game. Can't you just see Tua tossing a pass to J. H.?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I would NEVER want to even think about Alabama having to play a team that has J. H. as it's QB. Here's hoping that he stays at Alabama. There could be games where you just can't pass against an outstanding secondary. Then insert J. H. Problem solved. He'd run it down their throats. I was honestly hoping to see BOTH Tua and J. H. in the same backfield for Monday night's game. Can't you just see Tua tossing a pass to J. H.?
In an RPO offense that displayed his strengths, no. He would be a tough out.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I would compare him to us trying to defend Nick Marshall except Jalen's a stronger runner and maybe slightly better passer.

But I don't see it as a big of a problem as maybe some do. Kelly Bryant was basically Jalen Hurts as a freshman. We completely handicapped them by taking away their running game and for the most part we set the edge against Bryant and didn't allow him to run wild.

I'll put it another way, other elite defenses figured out how to defend us with Hurts so I'm pretty sure we could too.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
I hope they both stay. The team is one sack, one tackle out of bounds, one scramble where the QB didn't slide . . . from the number two going in. Look how the GA QB became a starter; an injury in the first game of the year. I don't know who the number 3 QB is for Alabama, and do we want to find out?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I hope they both stay. The team is one sack, one tackle out of bounds, one scramble where the QB didn't slide . . . from the number two going in. Look how the GA QB became a starter; an injury in the first game of the year. I don't know who the number 3 QB is for Alabama, and do we want to find out?
No doubt, the optimal situation for Alabama and Coach Saban is for Jalen to stay and not only compete for the job. But "be okay" with being the second string qb and holding a clipboard unless called upon, without causing discourse within the locker room. That's the ideal situation. But normally do "we" ever get to have the ideal situation come available? I hold out hope we do but my gut tells me otherwise.

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL
I am very proud and thankful for what Jalen has done to help our team, but this has to be Tua's team first going forward. Jalen has improved, but I honestly think he took a step back this year. He was much better last year when he would make a quick decision to tuck and run if the primary read wasn't open. This year he seemed to hesitate too much trying to read his progressions and by that time any running lane he might have had was closed and he got sacked or had to throw it away. He also doesn't have near as quick of a release as does Tua which we need when trying to make the right decision in going through progressions.

For anyone being honest with themselves, Jalen and the coaches included know that he won't be a QB at the next level. He has a much better shot at playing on Sunday's using his great athletic ability at another position, some type of hybrid WR/RB makes the most sense to me.

I hope we don't lose him to transfer, but we have to move forward and go with the one that has the most upside as a true QB and that is without a doubt Tua.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I am very proud and thankful for what Jalen has done to help our team, but this has to be Tua's team first going forward. Jalen has improved, but I honestly think he took a step back this year. He was much better last year when he would make a quick decision to tuck and run if the primary read wasn't open. This year he seemed to hesitate too much trying to read his progressions and by that time any running lane he might have had was closed and he got sacked or had to throw it away. He also doesn't have near as quick of a release as does Tua which we need when trying to make the right decision in going through progressions.

For anyone being honest with themselves, Jalen and the coaches included know that he won't be a QB at the next level. He has a much better shot at playing on Sunday's using his great athletic ability at another position, some type of hybrid WR/RB make the most sense to me.

I hope we don't lose him to transfer, but we have to move forward and go with the one that has the most upside as a true QB and that is without a doubt Tua.
One of the things that caused him issues is teams had a year of tape on him. There were plenty of times he would make a quick decision and tuck it and run but the difference in this year from last year (when that worked) is teams adjusted for it. The better defenses who were talented enough to commit a "spy" on Jalen took away that "quick read and run" play that was so successful last year. Granted, he still had some successful runs this season, but nothing like last year. And in my opinion the reason for that was they adjusted and he didn't. The NFL ends careers by doing this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.