Question on recent comments by Lane Kiffin (Earle, jump in on this one if possible)

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I have always tried to be thankful to and supportive of Lane Kiffin. I appreciate what he was able to do for our program. However, I have a problem with him making statements in as many media platforms that pander to him, concerning our current players (Jalen and Tua) as well as comments about our head coach and the way he manages his program and it's employees. The "Tua was going to transfer" garbage, commenting on Jalen and what he thinks he will do is ridiculous especiailly . To the legals on this board, could the University or even CNS have him served with a cease and desist order? Also, wouldn't you think that he had to sign some sort of confidentiality agreement once he became employed? I can't help but think that this can damage our ability to recruit both players and potential coaching hires.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think CNS is doing the right thing by not acknowledging them publicly. When you respond to something like that you give life to it. Which is what Lane actually wants. Lane uses social media as part of his method of keeping his name and his school in the public eye. So Lane has to come up with something daily to put out there in order to be noticed for the day.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
To my eye he's been Lane-ish but he hasn't been derogatory. He's using us to maintain a visible profile (and it's working to his advantage) but he really hasn't said anything derogatory about the school. In fact he's been rather complimentary and supportive. I'd rather he just not say anything at all but I think it's something we'll have to live.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I think CNS is doing the right thing by not acknowledging them publicly. When you respond to something like that you give life to it. Which is what Lane actually wants. Lane uses social media as part of his method of keeping his name and his school in the public eye. So Lane has to come up with something daily to put out there in order to be noticed for the day.
Totally agree with this.

Imagine being a head coach at Florida Atlantic. For what it is, it's just as good a school as any at that level but whoever coaches there needs to put his head down and grind it out so he can move on to the next level if that's his aim.

Lane is entertaining but imo doesn't have the character to be a head coach at the top level. If you haven't developed character by age 40, it probably won't happen.

It's better to have character than to be one.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Agreed. Lane is at about the fifth or sixth best program in the state. He needs to do anything he can to keep it in the conversation. Not to mention he just likes attention. Mentioning Alabama football gets you attention. I will just ignore him so long as he isn't saying anything derogatory. I hope he is successful, but expect a flame out.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
To my eye he's been Lane-ish but he hasn't been derogatory. He's using us to maintain a visible profile (and it's working to his advantage) but he really hasn't said anything derogatory about the school. In fact he's been rather complimentary and supportive. I'd rather he just not say anything at all but I think it's something we'll have to live.
I tend to agree with you. He was on the Dan Patrick show yesterday when he made the comments about Tua and Jalen. He was asked a question and he gave a very candid response, which he tends to do. I don't necessarily like most of the things he says, but I don't think he says them to intentionally hurt the Alabama program given that alot of what he says is complimentary. I think it's just his personality.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
While libel and slander are outside the scope of my practice, a few things come to mind here based on my limited familiarity with this area of the law.

Generally speaking, comment with respect to public figures is given far greater latitude compared to private citizens who are not in the public eye.

Also, one would have to be able to prove malice.

And then quantify damages...

With respect to Tua, for example, from what I've been hearing, there may have been more than a grain of truth to the whole transfer thing, which would afford one the "truth is a defense" doctrine.

I just don't see a judge / jury finding anything actionable in the what I've heard him say thus far...

Comment regarding sports is an area upon which entire industries have been built.

When we combine that with the fact that Kiffin would have first hand knowledge of some of what goes on in the program, I'd say he can continue placating the various media platforms without much worry...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
At this point, everything he says is always about Alabama, not FAU. FAU can't be happy about that right now. He's so fixated on Alabama and I don't know why....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
At this point, everything he says is always about Alabama, not FAU. FAU can't be happy about that right now. He's so fixated on Alabama and I don't know why....
You must of missed the school’s tweet slanting Daboll and Saban. What Lane has said is nothing so egregious as what the school has said about him.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have always tried to be thankful to and supportive of Lane Kiffin. I appreciate what he was able to do for our program. However, I have a problem with him making statements in as many media platforms that pander to him, concerning our current players (Jalen and Tua) as well as comments about our head coach and the way he manages his program and it's employees. The "Tua was going to transfer" garbage, commenting on Jalen and what he thinks he will do is ridiculous especiailly . To the legals on this board, could the University or even CNS have him served with a cease and desist order? Also, wouldn't you think that he had to sign some sort of confidentiality agreement once he became employed? I can't help but think that this can damage our ability to recruit both players and potential coaching hires.
Courts are very loath to silence someone because of the 1st Amendment. Any damages would be too speculative to recover for (have to be able to reduce it to dollars and cents). And I'd be very surprised if he had signed an NDA. Anyway, the remedy there is the same - sue for damages. This is generally a bad idea. All it does is broaden the dissemination of the remarks, which is what Lane wants anyway. FWIW, I don't believe him in this incidence for a moment...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It's like the secondary violations at Tennessee, only it reaches young kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Earle, has the statute of limitations expired on ex-assistants 35 years' removed from Tuscaloosa blabbing about 'Bama's football bidness? The reason I ask - in case prosecution is forthcoming...

Courts are very loath to silence someone because of the 1st Amendment. Any damages would be too speculative to recover for (have to be able to reduce it to dollars and cents). And I'd be very surprised if he had signed an NDA. Anyway, the remedy there is the same - sue for damages. This is generally a bad idea. All it does is broaden the dissemination of the remarks, which is what Lane wants anyway. FWIW, I don't believe him in this incidence for a moment...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Going after him would only make it worse. Even if you won.

The media will side with him 100%. And you all know how that plays out. We just need to keep doing what we do on the football field, and his blather will get stale after a while.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've been listening to sports radio lately. I don't remember who, but I heard a discussion about how well Jalen and Kiffon get along. They even said that the two continue to interact by phone, even fairly recently. The speculation was would Kiffun be able to convince Jalen to transfer to his school? The argument against that was that if Kiffen has a good year next season, he might jump ship before Jalen even finishes there.

Is Kiffyn trolling our qbs hoping to have one transfer his way? I'm not sure about that, but I would bet the farm Saban is ready for Kiffan to shut up about all things Bama. Sure, a lot of what he says is praise, but he mixes enough garbage in to keep reminding people who he really is.

On a personal level, it looks like I'm hoping misspelling his name won't get a poster here in trouble any more. Otherwise, I seem to have put my head on the chopping block. :)

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Nearly everything Lane has said about the Bama players has been supportive. The difference in Lane saying this after the game versus before is huge.

Trying to sue Lane over this would be absurd.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I've been listening to sports radio lately. I don't remember who, but I heard a discussion about how well Jalen and Kiffon get along. They even said that the two continue to interact by phone, even fairly recently. The speculation was would Kiffun be able to convince Jalen to transfer to his school? The argument against that was that if Kiffen has a good year next season, he might jump ship before Jalen even finishes there.

Is Kiffyn trolling our qbs hoping to have one transfer his way? I'm not sure about that, but I would bet the farm Saban is ready for Kiffan to shut up about all things Bama. Sure, a lot of what he says is praise, but he mixes enough garbage in to keep reminding people who he really is.

On a personal level, it looks like I'm hoping misspelling his name won't get a poster here in trouble any more. Otherwise, I seem to have put my head on the chopping block. :)

I see what you did there... :cool:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I still love Kiffin even if some stuff he says annoys me. He is an idiot(yet a genius) and not a great person but for some reason I don't really care.

Mob-Bama

2nd Team
Dec 14, 2001
Mobile, AL USA
I am just as annoyed with Greg McElroy for saying Jalen should transfer to Texas because he is from Texas. NO, he should not transfer at all (IMO)!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.