Question on recent comments by Lane Kiffin (Earle, jump in on this one if possible)

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
While libel and slander are outside the scope of my practice, a few things come to mind here based on my limited familiarity with this area of the law.

Generally speaking, comment with respect to public figures is given far greater latitude compared to private citizens who are not in the public eye.

Also, one would have to be able to prove malice.

And then quantify damages...

With respect to Tua, for example, from what I've been hearing, there may have been more than a grain of truth to the whole transfer thing, which would afford one the "truth is a defense" doctrine.

I just don't see a judge / jury finding anything actionable in the what I've heard him say thus far...

Comment regarding sports is an area upon which entire industries have been built.

When we combine that with the fact that Kiffin would have first hand knowledge of some of what goes on in the program, I'd say he can continue placating the various media platforms without much worry...
Not to mention that if either Jalen or Tua decided to transfer out... Kiffin would give anything to have either of them. They are very good QBs, not to mention their PR value to Kiffin.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
I am just as annoyed with Greg McElroy for saying Jalen should transfer to Texas because he is from Texas. NO, he should not transfer at all (IMO)!
Could be wrong here, but I don't think it's got anything to do with him being from Texas. Rather, UT is without a QB right now and he thinks JH would be a great fit in TH's offense there.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Could be wrong here, but I don't think it's got anything to do with him being from Texas. Rather, UT is without a QB right now and he thinks JH would be a great fit in TH's offense there.
UT is not without a QB. Greg needs to SHUT UP about any Bama QB transferring. We are very short on QBs. With supporters like this who needs enemies.

He is a total dumb_ _s for even putting out such a comment.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
To my eye he's been Lane-ish but he hasn't been derogatory. He's using us to maintain a visible profile (and it's working to his advantage) but he really hasn't said anything derogatory about the school. In fact he's been rather complimentary and supportive. I'd rather he just not say anything at all but I think it's something we'll have to live.
Yeah, the way I see it is Lane Kiffin trying to keep himself associated with the program for prestige and visibility reasons to help out his own career. He isn’t being derogatory, but by playing the “inside Alabama” guy he gets recognition he wouldn’t normally get. Honestly he can only play this card maybe one more season and remain relatively current and relevant. He enjoyed talking about Tua, but the kid wasn’t even on campus when Lane got fired-sorry- offered a HC job. He has no scoop on the Bama locker room anymore.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I think CNS is doing the right thing by not acknowledging them publicly. When you respond to something like that you give life to it. Which is what Lane actually wants. Lane uses social media as part of his method of keeping his name and his school in the public eye. So Lane has to come up with something daily to put out there in order to be noticed for the day.
Sort of like Lavar Ball.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Maybe Kiffin was sort of putting himself in Tua's spot and speculating about what Tua might be thinking. I find if I put myself in Tua's spot and feel I'm the better QB, the other guy puts up zero points in the first half, and the HC doesn't give me a chance in the second half then yeah, I'm going to be ticked off at the HC not having confidence in me and maybe I would indeed transfer. Kiffin shouldn't have stated it as fact though.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
I don't know either of the young men, but I would expect for both to be back and compete for the job. I'm not a fan of the two QB system, but with the right two people and the right coach I think it would be very effective. Imagine the possibilities of having both in the backfield at the same time, or Jalen running and /or throwing from the wildcat. Might be exciting.

I was a big fan of Kiffin at one time. I think we win last years Clemson game if he could have handled jobs both similar to JP and KS. That being said, it was time for him to move on.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I think CNS is doing the right thing by not acknowledging them publicly. When you respond to something like that you give life to it. Which is what Lane actually wants. Lane uses social media as part of his method of keeping his name and his school in the public eye. So Lane has to come up with something daily to put out there in order to be noticed for the day.
20 years from now, Lane will still be introduced on radio and TV shows as "... (current job) .... And former Alabama OC, Lane Kiffin".

I am reminded of bill curry, who has apparently retired now - haven't been hearing from him lately. But bill was our coach for 3 years. He held at least Three other college HC jobs before and after, and his time at UA was the SHORTEST time he held any HC job. Yet 20 years after he had quit his job in Tuscaloosa, he was still advertising himself as "Former ALABAMA Coach, bill curry"

Lane will be the same way.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
This is the only place he won. No wonder Bill says he is an ex-Bama coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
I don’t have an issue with Kiffin, he can say what he pleases. But, anyone in the program acknowledging what he says would be acknowledging clutter. No time for that...

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
UT is not without a QB. Greg needs to SHUT UP about any Bama QB transferring. We are very short on QBs. With supporters like this who needs enemies.

He is a total dumb_ _s for even putting out such a comment.
Is Greg a supporter? He seems butt hurt that he didn’t have a pro career. Sick and tired of his comments. He was probably the worst QB Saban has played at BAMA.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Is Greg a supporter? He seems butt hurt that he didn’t have a pro career. Sick and tired of his comments. He was probably the worst QB Saban has played at BAMA.
Greg is trying waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hard to disabuse others of the notion that he might be a homer in his new career.

And making a horse's patoot of himself whilst doing so...

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
If Lane was a commentator or not a current coach it would be OK. I don't think a coach at this level should be talking about another program. That being said, I think Coach Saban is smart to ignore it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.