Kevin Hagan on Bill King's Show (January 10)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
They look great. I'm not saying its impossible. I'm just saying its statistically unlikely to have 3 future 1st round draft picks at the same position from one recruiting class. But if they are even close to that good we are going to score a lot of points.
I agree. Smitty and Jeudy have more of the physical dimensions to be a first round WR than Ruggs. There's not many WRs taken in the first round that are 6 foot or below. I think the best WR NFL prospect may be Tryell Shavers - from a physical standpoint. He's 6'6 and reportedly ran a 4.38 40 yard dash at the NIKE Opening event. He took a redshirt this year so it'll be interesting to see where / if he fits into the WR rotation next year..

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
If you want to see visible tension between Saban and Smart, watch the interview Chris Fowler did with both of them. They said they right things, but they never looked at each other, especially Kirby. Kirby never turned his head in Saban's direction. I've seen Saban with McElwain and other former assistants in past, and it never looked this icy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR7yfTwj3mg
The body language is impossible to ignore, even though Kirby looks almost posed - you get the sense that he would have his arms crossed tightly to his chest, but someone has told him not to do that. And as noted, no eye contact at all by Smart. Saban is clearly leaning away (a dead giveaway), but he's also smiling and masking his feelings better than Smart.

Based on the pace, I think this was probably heavily edited, so we can't tell where there were pauses or hesitations by either coach. But you can tell that (consciously or unconsciously) each is sending passive-aggressive "messages" to each other. For example, Saban's comment about, "a culture of accountability" (When we've heard stories of Kirby betraying Saban's trust), and Smart's comment about 'If he keeps telling recruits he's going to coach another 5 and 6 years". (when we've heard stories of Smart telling recruits Saban is about to retire.).

Clearly, a level of tension here that is totally absent when Dabo and Saban are in a joint interview - and IMO, even worse than what we've seen when Saban and Maleruhzahnan are interviewed together.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
The body language is impossible to ignore, even though Kirby looks almost posed - you get the sense that he would have his arms crossed tightly to his chest, but someone has told him not to do that. And as noted, no eye contact at all by Smart. Saban is clearly leaning away (a dead giveaway), but he's also smiling and masking his feelings better than Smart.

Based on the pace, I think this was probably heavily edited, so we can't tell where there were pauses or hesitations by either coach. But you can tell that (consciously or unconsciously) each is sending passive-aggressive "messages" to each other. For example, Saban's comment about, "a culture of accountability" (When we've heard stories of Kirby betraying Saban's trust), and Smart's comment about 'If he keeps telling recruits he's going to coach another 5 and 6 years". (when we've heard stories of Smart telling recruits Saban is about to retire.).

Clearly, a level of tension here that is totally absent when Dabo and Saban are in a joint interview - and IMO, even worse than what we've seen when Saban and Maleruhzahnan are interviewed together.
My memory may be betraying me, but I think Fowler or Herbie made some comment on TV about how awkward the interview was. Chalked up to just being competitive and wanting to play the game.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I disagree with you there. Those guys are super talented. I especially like Jeudy and Ruggs. They are all Number 1 WR's. Next year with Tua throwing them the ball will be something to behold. The NFL looks so much at measurables. They all three have them.
I agree. All three of them were 5* by some service, all three run like the wind, all three are great athletes and all three have good hands. If they stay healthy and continue to mature and develop they have the potential to be 1st rounders. This offense is poised to go to a place we have never seen.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
WAY too much scrutiny has been brought to Tua's INT against UT. It happened.

I'm just speculating, but for every INT Tua will throw he'll probably throw 3 or 4 tds. Combine that with our lethal running game and defense and I doubt it'll ever be the difference in a game.
As far as I'm concerned, the argument is over so I'm not trying to create or prolong a Tua vs. Hurts argument (I gave up on that quite a while ago). But, I think it does answer the question of "why didn't it happen sooner", which is a valid question but also one with a valid answer. Before the pick 6, I cited specifically a pick 6 (and I've been wrong in the broader context of this discussion so not trying to claim prescience) as one of the things that could go wrong if you thrust Tua into a high pressure situation. Fortunately that wasn't, but against FSU, or even fast forwarding to Miss. State, it could have had a lot of harm not just on the game but perhaps developmentally.

I agree completely with the idea that Tua is probably going to throw 3+ TDs for every INT he throws. I've used the Brees analogy before, I don't think Tua is a reckless gunslinger. But, I think it's understandable why Saban had some reluctant to risk putting Tua in over his head. It was something done to Hurts last year, it probably hurt his development, and fortunately we saw a situation where Tua had everything it took to get the job done, instead of being overwhelmed. I hope nothing I said, or really anything anyone else said could be interpreted as being critical of Tua. He's done nothing to deserve that at any point, the only real question all along was how prepared Tua was relative to Hurts and at this point the question seems to be answered.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Before this segment, I'd never heard of Kevin Hagan.

If he's a fraud, he's the best actor of all time. Move over Barrymore, Olivier, Hoffman, DeNiro, Pacino and Duvall -- Kevin Hagan wants the part.

I have no idea where his information comes from. But what he said, and the way he said it, had the ring of truth. I know the smell of male bovine fecal matter well, and I got none of that from Hagan's interview.

Hope the freshmen who brought it home Monday are now in the circle of trust. If they aren't, I don't know how they ever will be.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There's some other threads that have kind of been blown up by the notion that Daboll was unhappy with Hurts at QB and some dire consequences surrounding the QB choice. I won't even go into what I thought of his play calling when Hurts was QB, but... to me this thread actually had one of the first bombshells in the whole narrative that players were on the verge of revolt and as Hagan indicated, the notion of Saban almost ruining everything by not playing Tua. Hagan said something along the lines that if he hadn't played Tua it would have been the end of Saban's championships, and some people seem to give credence to that. I think it's ridiculous though, we've already had the end of Saban's run predicted multiple times, and I'd wager the one thing that will end Saban's run will be Saban of his own free will.

He's like Michael Jordan at this point, the biggest thing to worry about is that he gets bored with winning. Anyway, let's go down the road of Tua doesn't play a little. Let's just say for the sake of argument that Hurts plays the whole game, Daboll keeps calling the same stuff, and Alabama loses. Alright, what then? May be some players leave, but I can guarantee you the whole team wouldn't. May be Alabama loses some top receiver talent though and perhaps Tua. Since Daboll was already packing his bags, I guess he's gone to, although I'm not sure Buffalo would have been as impressed with his gameplan if he continued to draw up slow developing pass plays for a guy who already hangs onto the ball too long.

Then what? Nick Saban has less talent at receiver, Hurts as his QB, and he's looking for a OC. Hopeless? Not so much, he got to the playoffs twice with Hurts, but I'd bet in this scenario he'd give in to using Hurts in a way that best utilizes his talent. More short stuff, less downfield stuff, more option, less pro-style, so on so forth. We know this can work, Alabama has been beaten with this style offense, teams have been championship contenders with that style offense. Would it be ideal long-term? Probably not, but I'd put my money on Alabama winning another championship, even with that offense. So, the whole the team was going to melt or something if Hurts stayed at QB? I'm not seeing it, Saban won with a QB that had broken bones, he went to the playoffs three straight years with three first year starters at QB (and won titles at Alabama with three first year starters and one guy who has never started). I'm guessing he could have figured out how to navigate this.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.