Kevin Hagan on Bill King's Show (January 10)

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I was puzzled as to why Harris was the main back after Tua entered the game. On reason could be that he had gotten a lot of practice w/Tua re: handoffs and such and would therefore make Tua more comfortable and reduce risk of exchange fumble etc. Certainly the starting backs could not have been tired. Harris was great by the way.
I've heard this is EXACTLY why. They have practiced a TON together this year and they also happen to be roommates and close friends. There was no threat of a communication issue between the two.

Yet another small example of something going unnoticed by the Media that makes CNS the MASTER.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Wow...amazing info especially the part about predicting CNS's decision is the watershed moment on future titles for CNS. Wow!!!

Just 11 minutes in, but wow!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Wow...amazing info especially the part about predicting CNS's decision is the watershed moment on future titles for CNS. Wow!!!
Time will tell, but the comparison to Bryant going to Texas to learn the wishbone was chilling if it turns out to be an accurate assessment. And it seems like, at least at that point in time, it's true as it explains the wide-spread use of FR in the second half (not just Tua and Leatherwood, but Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, and Najee) - if Saban has turned the corner and is going to eschew the 'hierarchy of trust' and instead put the absolute best ballers on the field, the best is yet to come for Alabama.

And that's a crazy thing to consider.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Time will tell, but the comparison to Bryant going to Texas to learn the wishbone was chilling if it turns out to be an accurate assessment. And it seems like, at least at that point in time, it's true as it explains the wide-spread use of FR in the second half (not just Tua and Leatherwood, but Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, and Najee) - if Saban has turned the corner and is going to eschew the 'hierarchy of trust' and instead put the absolute best ballers on the field, the best is yet to come for Alabama.

Hagan's comments go right along with part of Phil Savage's book. The most amazing thing about the hierarchy is everyone says Saban will play the best players.

It's been clear that's not always the case, and Phil Savage admits it. Granted, the entire thinking is not just the most senior player. Saban wants the player that most understands the position and playbook.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

giggity. and i love 14's reaction in your new avatar photo. he had been getting abused all night. smith had almost 5 yards on him

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

I won't be able to listen to the audio until I get home ..... but watching the second half success of all the true freshmen was incredible. Even when I was doubting we'd be able to come all the way back, I was telling myself that this is our offense next year. And Bama will score a ton of points against everyone. Who can stop this offense combined with this defense? Only massive injuries can perhaps derail the juggernaut, and it couldn't this year. Bama's going to hang 50, 60, 70 points on some quality teams.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

This is an amazing look into how CNS had to break his tendency and do something risky. I don't know who this guy is but some of this kinda made the hair on my neck stand up.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Love how this guy is SO high on Daboll going forward with Tua!
Not to toot my own horn, but I've been saying for a while that what we were seeing wasn't Daboll - when your playbook shrinks weekly due to your starting QB's tendencies / limitations (not a knock on JH, just fact), it's difficult to rock talented teams.

We saw what he can do when the playbook is opened up. UGA had no answer for Tua - I don't know how anyone can. It's not just him, it's having five other 5* skill guys out there running the ball or running routes - literally only one or two teams in FBS can consistently stop that kinda of talent - and I'm not sure if anyone can.

IF (big if) Saban can break his conservative tendencies and these changes stick, this offense will be very scary next year. What you saw in the second half, against arguably the third best defense in all of CFB in 2017, was just the beginning...

*insert CharminTide's recipe for crow (for those who need it) here*

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I didn't post it in the game thread but when reading all the "he'll never do it" posts, I thought, he would. He had to if he didn't want to lose the game. Even worse, I thought the second half/final score would be embarrassing as the D was getting tired and the same old same wasn't going to cut it.

I think we are positioned to just keep Rolling. Next year's recruiting class could also be monumental.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Not to toot my own horn, but I've been saying for a while that what we were seeing wasn't Daboll - when your playbook shrinks weekly due to your starting QB's tendencies / limitations (not a knock on JH, just fact), it's difficult to rock talented teams.

We saw what he can do when the playbook is opened up. UGA had no answer for Tua - I don't know how anyone can. It's not just him, it's having five other 5* skill guys out there running the ball or running routes - literally only one or two teams in FBS can consistently stop that kinda of talent - and I'm not sure if anyone can.

IF (big if) Saban can break his conservative tendencies and these changes stick, this offense will be very scary next year. What you saw in the second half, against arguably the third best defense in all of FBA in 2017, was just there beginning...

How good will Tua be getting first team reps in the Spring and Fall? And getting full game experience come next season? Sweet Baby Jesus this kid has a high ceiling! It's ridonkulous!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I didn't post it in the game thread but when reading all the "he'll never do it" posts, I thought, he would. He had to if he didn't want to lose the game. Even worse, I thought the second half/final score would be embarrassing as the D was getting tired and the same old same wasn't going to cut it.

I think we are positioned to just keep Rolling. Next year's recruiting class could also be monumental.
If you haven't, go listen to the Kevin Hagan interview in the other thread.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

IF (big if) Saban can break his conservative tendencies and these changes stick, this offense will be very scary next year. What you saw in the second half, against arguably the third best defense in all of CFB in 2017, was just the beginning...

Cole Cubelic(I think) talked about this some too. Apparently some coaches he has talked to have mentioned that Daboll is out scheming teams in a way that Kiffin didn't.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I think I said this before the season started but I think we are headed for a moment when Nick Saban teams are not just known for their defense but their offense as well. We could be headed for at least a 2 year stretch of special play from our O.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I think I said this before the season started but I think we are headed for a moment when Nick Saban teams are not just known for their defense but their offense as well. We could be headed for at least a 2 year stretch of special play from our O.
Yes. We couldn't really run the O on Monday like you would want to because we were in catch up mode. Think about unleashing all the running backs and receivers. Pick you poison. Hoped that was going to be where we would be this year but sadly no.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
can you give us a brief summary? can't listen at work
Coach Saban faced a major revolt in the locker room at halftime.
The decision to change QB was as big in the direction of the program as Coach Bryant going to Austin to learn the wishbone.
The offense we saw this season up to the start of the 3rd quarter of the NCG was Coach Saban's offense. What we saw after the start of the 3rd quarter was Brian Daboll's offense.
With Coach Saban trust trumps talent. (Can Coach Saban trust you to do the right thing once on the field).
The class of 2017 may be the most talented class Coach Saban has ever recruited
When it mattered the most, Coach Saban sent the freshmen onto the field.
Kirby Smart, while on the staff in Tuscaloosa behaved like "a horse's rear end." (No further info on this, however).

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.