Kevin Hagan on Bill King's Show (January 10)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
giggity. and i love 14's reaction in your new avatar photo. he had been getting abused all night. smith had almost 5 yards on him
I hope I can find time to listen this afternoon. One of the funniest posts I've seen on a UGA board was last night. After knocking Tua every way from Sunday, saying he couldn't read defenses, etc., he made the statement that Tua had frozen the safety on the right and then turned left and made a "blind throw" to his left. I read it again, not believing what I'd just seen. "Blind" my rear. The poster had just never seen a release like that, not in the college ranks, anyway. He's sort of like a Brees with agility...

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Not to toot my own horn, but I've been saying for a while that what we were seeing wasn't Daboll - when your playbook shrinks weekly due to your starting QB's tendencies / limitations (not a knock on JH, just fact), it's difficult to rock talented teams.

We saw what he can do when the playbook is opened up. UGA had no answer for Tua - I don't know how anyone can. It's not just him, it's having five other 5* skill guys out there running the ball or running routes - literally only one or two teams in FBS can consistently stop that kinda of talent - and I'm not sure if anyone can.

IF (big if) Saban can break his conservative tendencies and these changes stick, this offense will be very scary next year. What you saw in the second half, against arguably the third best defense in all of CFB in 2017, was just the beginning...

*insert CharminTide's recipe for crow (for those who need it) here*
This gives me chills about the possibilities to come. And to think these freshmen did this in 2 quarters, when arguably one of the best offenses in college football this year (Oklahoma) couldn't get it done in 4quarters.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
And talk about chills - when the staff grades the typical Nick Saban class as having four potential first rounders and the 2017 class graded out with SEVEN!

Goodness... it's an embarrassment of riches.

I'll take it.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Not to toot my own horn, but I've been saying for a while that what we were seeing wasn't Daboll - when your playbook shrinks weekly due to your starting QB's tendencies / limitations (not a knock on JH, just fact), it's difficult to rock talented teams.

We saw what he can do when the playbook is opened up. UGA had no answer for Tua - I don't know how anyone can. It's not just him, it's having five other 5* skill guys out there running the ball or running routes - literally only one or two teams in FBS can consistently stop that kinda of talent - and I'm not sure if anyone can.

IF (big if) Saban can break his conservative tendencies and these changes stick, this offense will be very scary next year. What you saw in the second half, against arguably the third best defense in all of CFB in 2017, was just the beginning...

*insert CharminTide's recipe for crow (for those who need it) here*
Daboll still does some things that make you go 'huh?' in certain situations.....but no OC is impervious to that being honest.

The playcalling with TUA did look WAY more aggressive though. We were ATTACKING Uga and had them completely backpeddling the whole 2nd half.

They just had NO IDEA what we were about to run.....and honestly I didn't either after watching a 1st half that was 100% predictable.

I'll say this too....if not for us going conservative to run out time for a last second FG before OT we were going to score a TD on that drive as well.

We are going to drop massive point and yard totals on people next year if we continue to Attack like that.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I hope I can find time to listen this afternoon. One of the funniest posts I've seen on a UGA board was last night. After knocking Tua every way from Sunday, saying he couldn't read defenses, etc., he made the statement that Tua had frozen the safety on the right and then turned left and made a "blind throw" to his left. I read it again, not believing what I'd just seen. "Blind" my rear. The poster had just never seen a release like that, not in the college ranks, anyway. He's sort of like a Brees with agility...
It was a "best of Brett Favre" type throw. What an arm, vision, and reaction time this young man has. Genetics, hard work and attitude separate him from only a few talented athletes.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'll say this too....if not for us going conservative to run out time for a last second FG before OT we were going to score a TD on that drive as well.

Agreed, I think we could have won it in regulation with a TD or extra point length FG if we would have just kept on running the offense. We basically shut it down after we got the first down at around the 1 minute mark. With 2 timeouts still left at that point we could call any play in the play book and they had already proven they couldn't stop us.

That was CNS all the way...just playing it safe. One of these days he'll learn better.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
It was a "best of Brett Favre" type throw. What an arm, vision, and reaction time this young man has. Genetics, hard work and attitude separate him from only a few talented athletes.
Tua reminds me of Russell Wilson with a more compact and quicker release with greater velocity. He is SCARY good. SEC DC's are sweating bullets right now....LOL

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Who would have thought, ten years into Saban's run, with the media and rest of the country suffering from Bama fatigue and hoping the run is winding down...

that the people who know football and follow Saban the closest are giddy that now we are getting serious about scoring points as well as keeping the other team from scoring. If the dominance Bama shows on defense bleeds over to the offensive side, well now, we may have just gotten started.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Tua reminds me of Russell Wilson with a more compact and quicker release with greater velocity. He is SCARY good. SEC DC's are sweating bullets right now....LOL
Great comparison, I was trying to figure out who he reminded me of. And yah, he has a very compact and quick release - the ball gets out of there in a hurry.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Thanks for sharing. Fantastic insight. Coach Saban definitely has his work cut out for him with this decision. He always stresses that his QB needs to have won the team over. The second half Monday night spoke volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Time will tell, but the comparison to Bryant going to Texas to learn the wishbone was chilling if it turns out to be an accurate assessment. And it seems like, at least at that point in time, it's true as it explains the wide-spread use of FR in the second half (not just Tua and Leatherwood, but Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, and Najee) - if Saban has turned the corner and is going to eschew the 'hierarchy of trust' and instead put the absolute best ballers on the field, the best is yet to come for Alabama.

And that's a crazy thing to consider.
The hierarchy of trust had won us 4 national titles prior to Monday, so I don't think it will be discarded. But I think the trust is really the belief that each player is experienced and disciplined enough that they are going to perform their assignment correctly every time. For example, Reuben Foster was undoubtedly a phenomenal talent but it took him a while to learn the defense and his assignments. Therefore, he didn't see the field outside of special teams for two years even though he was probably the most physically and athletically gifted linebacker we had.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
read an article earlier that was saying that the "seattle" play had been practiced by tua in the lead up to the game. he knew exactly what he was doing on that play :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, I'm glad someone could say it, since I couldn't. :D I did hint. What was new to me was Locksley's role in persuading the young receivers to hang in. However, I do feel that, if Tua hadn't gone in, we would have had some significant transfers in the receiver corps and it would have had a devastating effect on recruiting skill positions. It had already hurt. What he says about Tosh is correct. It's a bit of an uncomfortable situation. He didn't say much about Smart, but I agree that he is henceforth the enemy. He reneged on a number of "gentlemen's agreements" about recruiting targets and, it appears, recruited them surreptitiously for UGA. He and Saban will always now be a bit uncomfortable around each other, I think. I believe that Coach is trying very hard to look on the bright side of things. Knowing what the stakes were, at the halftime, I still feared that Jalen would jog out again. My hat's off to Coach...

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
read an article earlier that was saying that the "seattle" play had been practiced by tua in the lead up to the game. he knew exactly what he was doing on that play :)
He for sure wanted the play to go that direction but I also agree it wasn't 'Blind' and he made the decision with his eyes.

If you watch the view from around the angle a DL or LB would see you can see that in the split second he moves his head and eyes left he recognizes the Safety is exactly where Tua felt comfortable and in a nano-second decides to RIP IT....and my gawd did he SLING that football!!

The view from behind the pocket of his release and the ball spinning in the air in the most beautiful thing I think I've ever seen in CFB. I'm still in disbelief.....what a dang throw!!!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
After the game, when CNS said, "I'm so happy...happier than I've ever been" (loosely quoted) it probably had something to do with knowing his gamble to play Tua proved to work and it now makes dealing with the QB issue during the off season fairly easy now.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
The UGA fan clearly didn't hear Tua break the play down post game. He clearly knew exactly what he saw and exactly what he wanted to do with it. His head snap and release are executed with such purpose and timing that it could be nothing else. It wasn't glancing around for open receivers and then heaving it into pressure (like the miraculous Vandy pass) it was very obviously done with purpose. Every pundit (EVERY) i've seen break it down has given props, and not one has chalked it up to a prayer or luck or chance. Everything about his mechanics, his release and velocity and timing make it abundantly clear that it was a purposeful and deliberate throw.

In regards to his ability to read coverages I think he's far advanced from a freshman but I think his biggest struggle is seeing linebacker zones underneath. He's probably just not used to having the athletic disciplined freaks playing that position. I think he has the ability to see and understand that but it's probably his least developed area. We've seen it a few times. He already reads the secondary like a seasoned veteran and is anticipating throws with apparent ease.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
The hierarchy of trust had won us 4 national titles prior to Monday, so I don't think it will be discarded. But I think the trust is really the belief that each player is experienced and disciplined enough that they are going to perform their assignment correctly every time. For example, Reuben Foster was undoubtedly a phenomenal talent but it took him a while to learn the defense and his assignments. Therefore, he didn't see the field outside of special teams for two years even though he was probably the most physically and athletically gifted linebacker we had.
Very well put. If they can't do their assignment right, the guy beside him will try to do it as well as his own. That would cause problems that we saw against Miss. St.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
He for sure wanted the play to go that direction but I also agree it wasn't 'Blind' and he made the decision with his eyes.

If you watch the view from around the angle a DL or LB would see you can see that in the split second he moves his head and eyes left he recognizes the Safety is exactly where Tua felt comfortable and in a nano-second decides to RIP IT....and my gawd did he SLING that football!!

The view from behind the pocket of his release and the ball spinning in the air in the most beautiful thing I think I've ever seen in CFB. I'm still in disbelief.....what a dang throw!!!
totally agree. when i say he knew what he was doing, i meant that he was expecting the safety to be frozen and was able to make a crazy fast decision and that combined with his fast release made it look super human. his field vision is ridiculous

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
The UGA fan clearly didn't hear Tua break the play down post game. He clearly knew exactly what he saw and exactly what he wanted to do with it. His head snap and release are executed with such purpose and timing that it could be nothing else. It wasn't glancing around for open receivers and then heaving it into pressure (like the miraculous Vandy pass) it was very obviously done with purpose. Every pundit (EVERY) i've seen break it down has given props, and not one has chalked it up to a prayer or luck or chance. Everything about his mechanics, his release and velocity and timing make it abundantly clear that it was a purposeful and deliberate throw.

In regards to his ability to read coverages I think he's far advanced from a freshman but I think his biggest struggle is seeing linebacker zones underneath. He's probably just not used to having the athletic disciplined freaks playing that position. I think he has the ability to see and understand that but it's probably his least developed area. We've seen it a few times. He already reads the secondary like a seasoned veteran and is anticipating throws with apparent ease.
You know surprisingly, the only person I've seen downplay the throw was Tebow.something I didn't expect. Everyone else has been praising him and giving him credit. RTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.