Kevin Hagan on Bill King's Show (January 10)

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
He for sure wanted the play to go that direction but I also agree it wasn't 'Blind' and he made the decision with his eyes.

If you watch the view from around the angle a DL or LB would see you can see that in the split second he moves his head and eyes left he recognizes the Safety is exactly where Tua felt comfortable and in a nano-second decides to RIP IT....and my gawd did he SLING that football!!

The view from behind the pocket of his release and the ball spinning in the air in the most beautiful thing I think I've ever seen in CFB. I'm still in disbelief.....what a dang throw!!!
Comparing the way Tua throws vs. Darnold from USC, it looks like Darnold is just putting air under every pass. Tua threw his passes with a zip that I just don't see with Darnold.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
I hope I can find time to listen this afternoon. One of the funniest posts I've seen on a UGA board was last night. After knocking Tua every way from Sunday, saying he couldn't read defenses, etc., he made the statement that Tua had frozen the safety on the right and then turned left and made a "blind throw" to his left. I read it again, not believing what I'd just seen. "Blind" my rear. The poster had just never seen a release like that, not in the college ranks, anyway. He's sort of like a Brees with agility...
Good comparison. Because he is a lefty with wheels, he reminds me of Mark Brunell.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
I hope I can find time to listen this afternoon. One of the funniest posts I've seen on a UGA board was last night. After knocking Tua every way from Sunday, saying he couldn't read defenses, etc., he made the statement that Tua had frozen the safety on the right and then turned left and made a "blind throw" to his left. I read it again, not believing what I'd just seen. "Blind" my rear. The poster had just never seen a release like that, not in the college ranks, anyway. He's sort of like a Brees with agility...
Also, I would have to say that poster had not seen Tua's play against Vanderbilt.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Pretty fascinating stuff. Thanks to our insiders for sharing this type info with us as they could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I think his "happiness" was in some measure due to Kirby on the other side.
After the game, when CNS said, "I'm so happy...happier than I've ever been" (loosely quoted) it probably had something to do with knowing his gamble to play Tua proved to work and it now makes dealing with the QB issue during the off season fairly easy now.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
totally agree. when i say he knew what he was doing, i meant that he was expecting the safety to be frozen and was able to make a crazy fast decision and that combined with his fast release made it look super human. his field vision is ridiculous
I agree with this. My opinion after watching the game again and watching that play over and over is that the play call was based on scouting and that the single boundary receiver was always supposed to be targeted. The corner didn't play it well, but the safety was worse and was caught anticipating the three receivers to the right, and I just have to believe that was a scouted tendency. Basically Tua was watching the safety watching him look right, and when the safety stood still in the hash, that was Tua's read to throw left. That's why it "looks blind"... He doesn't need to look at the receiver to see he's open, he can tell by the safety.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I've heard this is EXACTLY why. They have practiced a TON together this year and they also happen to be roommates and close friends. There was no threat of a communication issue between the two.

Yet another small example of something going unnoticed by the Media that makes CNS the MASTER.
I think it is also why we were using so many freshman receivers with Tua in the game. He missed the timing with Ridley on the long ball as he hasn't had the time with Calvin that he had with Devonta Smith from all their time together in the 2's. I've always wondered why coaches don't do this more when they bring in a backup QB. Get the guys they are comfortable with around them. Guess it helps that our backup are 4/5* Superstars though

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Quick summary:
Program at a crossroads
4 major issues:
a) QB - Jalen vs. Tua - "darn near riot in locker room" at halftime; Locksley quelled a revolt most of the season
b) name D Coordinator - has been promised to Tosh, but can he set the secondary?; expected another year of Pruitt
c) staff changes - replace elite recruiters that have been lost recently
d) 4-5 players will be encouraged to move on

Jonah Williams sprained ankle
2017 class has 7-8 projected 1st rounders per staff
trust has trumped talent
Pruitt "not the enemy", Smart... donkey

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree with this. My opinion after watching the game again and watching that play over and over is that the play call was based on scouting and that the single boundary receiver was always supposed to be targeted. The corner didn't play it well, but the safety was worse and was caught anticipating the three receivers to the right, and I just have to believe that was a scouted tendency. Basically Tua was watching the safety watching him look right, and when the safety stood still in the hash, that was Tua's read to throw left. That's why it "looks blind"... He doesn't need to look at the receiver to see he's open, he can tell by the safety.
all things considered, that may be one of the most epic secondary breakdowns that i have ever seen. and i remember ut converting a 4 and 19 ;)

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
This gives me chills about the possibilities to come. And to think these freshmen did this in 2 quarters, when arguably one of the best offenses in college football this year (Oklahoma) couldn't get it done in 4quarters.
I feel the same way. The season just ended, but I am ready for spring practice.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I watched the coaching comment replay on ESPN of this and they kept saying "wow that safety is out of position" and then seemed fairly incredulous that Tua was causing the safety to be out of position. I think they were a little concerned about what they saw our true freshman do. That wasn't normal that was exceptional of Tua's part, fun to watch them realize it

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Interesting interview. Ridley's body language when Jalen overthrew him in the end zone, well, he balled up both his fists and hopped like he wanted to scream. Saban's hand was forced by circumstances but hearing that players were up in arms fits what was visible; what had been visible for a long time.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
all things considered, that may be one of the most epic secondary breakdowns that i have ever seen. and i remember ut converting a 4 and 19 ;)
In defense of that safety, if I were looking at it from his viewpoint and saw C. Ridley over there, that would have gotten my attention too. Great call and great execution.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.