Kevin Hagan on Bill King's Show (January 10)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Personally I liked Kirby but Pruitt has proved to be the better DC and I hate the stories I am hearing about Kirby's negative recruiting towards us
I liked him while he was here, and hoped he'd replace Coach Saban some day. When the Maurice Smith situation occurred, I knew he was Brutus to Coach Saban's Caesar.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I watched the coaching comment replay on ESPN of this and they kept saying "wow that safety is out of position" and then seemed fairly incredulous that Tua was causing the safety to be out of position. I think they were a little concerned about what they saw our true freshman do. That wasn't normal that was exceptional of Tua's part, fun to watch them realize it
i thought the post-game response was almost on par with gary's freakout over that play in the vandy game.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Also, for those that listen to the OD in the mornings, Phil Savage is always on Wed. mornings. The Wed. before the Clemson game they asked him if he thought they would play Tua. He said "without a doubt." UGA only had mop up duty film to watch. This may have been the coaching move of all time not playing him at Clemson because we had the game under control. I was kind of shocked Phil even said anything when he did. Of course, we can all speculate lol.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
1: This might be a little controversial, but when discussing the situation at quarterback I'd have to use plural when assigning blame. That the problem wasn't just a player, but players. When you use words like "revolt", it is an issue. I'm ok with how things played out in the end, but that was Saban's choice to make. Players can't possibly grasp the implications like Saban can. Even if they were right this time, what if they're wrong the next time? You can have an opinion without being insubordinate, if anyone should learn the difference it would be me.

2: "It's not about what Hurts can't do as much as what Tua can do"
I'd tend to agree with that. Tua can run Daboll's offense well. I wasn't a big fan of Daboll's offense, I'm still not sure I am, but that sort of stuff plays into what Tua can do. Hurts is better for a different style offense, I still think he can win a lot of games at QB, and the guy managed 2,780 yards passing as a true freshman. He either needs more time to develop or a different style offense.

3: Not a fan of Smart
With the way the transfer stuff played out, I was already done with Smart. The recruiting board thing just solidified that. There's a right way to do things and a wrong way. Smart did it the wrong way and I wonder how long he can get by on that sort of behavior.

Last edited:

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Interesting interview. Ridley's body language when Jalen overthrew him in the end zone, well, he balled up both his fists and hopped like he wanted to scream. Saban's hand was forced by circumstances but hearing that players were up in arms fits what was visible; what had been visible for a long time.
Yes and that body language has been there for the majority of the season

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
1: This might be a little controversial, but when discussing the situation at quarterback I'd have to use plural when assigning blame. That the problem wasn't just a player, but players. When you use words like "revolt", it is an issue. I'm ok with how things played out in the end, but that was Saban's choice to make. Players can't possibly grasp the implications like Saban can and I do not find that sort of behavior excusable. Even if they were right this time, what if they're wrong the next time? You can have an opinion without being insubordinate, if anyone should learn the difference it would be me..
It's probably a little unfair to say since we weren't in the locker room. It's not like the dissent started in fall camp. I think Hagan mentioned it was after the A&M game when this first started to become obvious and he mentioned it started with the staff.

Not gonna lie that it was not good hearing about that stuff going on, but CNS has publicly stated one of his measuring tools for deciding a starting qb is who wins the team. Apparently and simultaneously, Jalen was losing them as the year went on and Tua was winning them.

I also think it's good that this had nothing to do with anything other than who could distribute the ball better. I really don't think it was a personality thing or racial thing (obviously)...it was just about football.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The hierarchy of trust had won us 4 national titles prior to Monday, so I don't think it will be discarded. But I think the trust is really the belief that each player is experienced and disciplined enough that they are going to perform their assignment correctly every time. For example, Reuben Foster was undoubtedly a phenomenal talent but it took him a while to learn the defense and his assignments. Therefore, he didn't see the field outside of special teams for two years even though he was probably the most physically and athletically gifted linebacker we had.
No one is suggesting we throw raw guys out there who aren't ready to play, that's not what Hagan was talking about. It's not news to anyone wh knows the program that once someone is a trusted starter under Saban, he's very rarely unseated - even if a more talented guy (who also understands the playbook and techniques) is waiting in the wings. There are plenty of examples that we've seen over the years where a starter goes down and the next man up comes along and plays as well, if not better, than the starter did.

Saban's hierarchy of trust isn't why we've won four national titles. But if he can move outside of his comfort zone it will almost certainly guarantee we win a few more before he decides he's done.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I enjoyed that listen, thanks for the link.

I will disagree about the watershed decision moment for Nick Saban. I honestly think it came when Lane Kiffin arrived. Before Lane Kiffin, Saban's philosophy was kind of like a reverse Spurrier in that he just didn't want the other side of the ball to screw up his chances of winning. Alabama played ball control, took time off the clock, established the dominance of the offensive line, and tried to get 17 points on the board to win the game. Then this gimmick offense plague started and people enjoyed seeing all these points and people running all over the field and Saban was faced with a decision: stay the same or adapt. Then the Lane train arrived. Now Alabama has an offensive coordinator who's flashy, arrogant, dangerous, and brings an offense to match. Suddenly we have jet sweeps, we're throwing deep far more frequently than before, and passing and scoring records are falling by the wayside in droves. Let's not forget guys like Blake Sims and Jalen Hurts at quarterback: not just mobile, but very dangerous runners with the ball in their hands, a definite deviation from the Saban quarterback in previous years. This decision couldn't have been easy for him, much like Spurrier finally conceding that he needed more focus on the defensive side of the ball and hiring Bob Stoops to do just that.

So, while pulling Hurts for Tua was a very gutsy move and deserving of all the praise it is getting, I really think shifting offensive philosophies and becoming more dynamic was truly Saban's watershed decision of his latter coaching career. We have two National Titles to show for it already.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Thanks...very interesting to say the least. TBH the departure of so many coaches over the last 2 years has been disconcerting and affected recruiting. Glad to see some movement here...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Comparing the way Tua throws vs. Darnold from USC, it looks like Darnold is just putting air under every pass. Tua threw his passes with a zip that I just don't see with Darnold.
My 10 year old son said it looks like a "laser" being shot out of Iron Man's hand. LOL!

I describe as "He's got lightning in his arm". If you blink you miss seeing him throw it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Not gonna lie that it was not good hearing about that stuff going on, but CNS has publicly stated one of his measuring tools for deciding a starting qb is who wins the team. Apparently and simultaneously, Jalen was losing them as the year went on and Tua was winning them.
I guess the thing that gets to me is the implied negative consequences when you say something like "revolt". I don't think you ever want that sort of situation. CNS does take into account winning over the locker room, but he also can't change accordingly from game to game, right? So I guess if anything it speaks to one of the big issues of having a quarterback controversy at all, the kind of harm it can possibly do.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
My 10 year old son said it looks like a "laser" being shot out of Iron Man's hand. LOL!

I describe as "He's got lightning in his arm". If you blink you miss seeing him throw it.
So basically what your saying is that Tua is a human version of the Mantis Shrimp

The club of a mantis shrimp can easily break quarter-inch glass, and the shell of a crab. The mantis stores energy in its arm. It works like a spring-loaded mechanism. When the energy is released, the mantissmashes its prey with the force of a 22-caliber bullet

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I guess the thing that gets to me is the implied negative consequences when you say something like "revolt". I don't think you ever want that sort of situation. CNS does take into account winning over the locker room, but he also can't change accordingly from game to game, right? So I guess if anything it speaks to one of the big issues of having a quarterback controversy at all, the kind of harm it can possibly do.
I think the word revolt would only apply to the QB position since it impacts whether or not the team will win so much more so than any other position. The team would not be up in arms if a more talented OLB or TE wasn't playing. I agree with your overall thought but I think the QB situation is handled differently than any other position on the field..

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
He hit the nail on the head with this- “It’s not so much what Jalen can’t do but what Tua does so very well.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Also, for those that listen to the OD in the mornings, Phil Savage is always on Wed. mornings. The Wed. before the Clemson game they asked him if he thought they would play Tua. He said "without a doubt." UGA only had mop up duty film to watch. This may have been the coaching move of all time not playing him at Clemson because we had the game under control. I was kind of shocked Phil even said anything when he did. Of course, we can all speculate lol.
Do you think that behind chewing on the sideline (Coach & OC) was because of play calling in which the CLOCK didn't move (incomplete passes); therefore Coach Saban wasn't able to insert Tua at QB in the final minutes like I think maybe he wanted to? That would have better prepared Tua for the NCG. Well, I guess Tua didn't need much preparation in front of a crowd during a BIG game.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
1: This might be a little controversial, but when discussing the situation at quarterback I'd have to use plural when assigning blame. That the problem wasn't just a player, but players. When you use words like "revolt", it is an issue. I'm ok with how things played out in the end, but that was Saban's choice to make. Players can't possibly grasp the implications like Saban can. Even if they were right this time, what if they're wrong the next time? You can have an opinion without being insubordinate, if anyone should learn the difference it would be me.
Replying to some....
First and foremost I agree wholeheartedly with your last comment - you can disagree with out being insubordinate. I hope it was never actually close to any sort of real "revolt", and this was simply Hagan making a point.

But - and I say this knowing it will be controversial....
I’ve been a fan of Jalen Hurts, and will continue to be so – because (A) he’s a great person, and (B) I’m a fan of EVERY young man who wears the Crimson jersey! And (C) he's played extremely well for UA at times.

But frankly, I’ve said for two years that the decision to pick Jalen over Blake Barnett (and exclusively so) was a mistake from the get go. IMO, it was likely based on our coaches (Saban and probably Kiffin as well) being “Snake Charmed” by Watson in the 2015 NC game, and Saban having been Snake BITTEN by $Cam KNEWton in 2010 and Nick Marshal in 2013.

That, and the fact that BB was a cocky west coast kid and not well liked, whereas Jalen was and is a very well liked by his teammates. Still, the potential was there. Had BB gotten the PT and the undivided attention of the coaches, he had the potential to be a better, more effective version of AJ McCarron. Flame away.

2: "It's not about what Hurts can't do as much as what Tua can do"
I'd tend to agree with that. Tua can run Daboll's offense well. I wasn't a big fan of Daboll's offense, I'm still not sure I am, but that sort of stuff plays into what Tua can do. Hurts is better for a different style offense, I still think he can win a lot of games at QB, and the guy managed 2,780 yards passing as a true freshman. He either needs more time to develop or a different style offense.
Agree completely. Jalen is an IMMENSELY talented young man, and a great human being! It is not indictment of Jalen's character that he hasn't (yet) been able to master a skill that perhaps fewer than 100 people on this planet possess, and that's reading defenses and making accurate throws to second or third routes in a split second while under intense pressure from a strong rush.

Jalen has become a very good QB - when he has a clean pocket AND time. He's very effective in those situations. Unfortunately, aub and UGa both figured out that he can't function as a passer when pressured IF you also contain his scrambling. That scheme would be the blueprint for every defense Jalen will (or would have) face(d) the rest of his time as our QB.

And not to be ugly about it, but a big part of those 2016 passing yards were jet sweeps, which are recorded as Passes in the stats. Just sayin' .....

3: Not a fan of Smart
With the way the transfer stuff played out, I was already done with Smart. The recruiting board thing just solidified that. There's a right way to do things and a wrong way. Smart did it the wrong way and I wonder how long he can get by on that sort of behavior.
Agree completely.

All I can say is, Karma's a funny thing sometimes. Who ever thought Jim "the Senator" Tressel (with his phony "Mr. Clean" public persona) would ever be caught? And yet - he was.....

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
But frankly, I’ve said for two years that the decision to pick Jalen over Blake Barnett (and exclusively so) was a mistake from the get go. IMO, it was likely based on our coaches (Saban and probably Kiffin as well) being “Snake Charmed” by Watson in the 2015 NC game, and Saban having been Snake BITTEN by $Cam KNEWton in 2010 and Nick Marshal in 2013.

That, and the fact that BB was a cocky west coast kid and not well liked, whereas Jalen was and is a very well liked by his teammates. Still, the potential was there. Had BB gotten the PT and the undivided attention of the coaches, he had the potential to be a better, more effective version of AJ McCarron. Flame away.
Not going to flame on you. But yeah, you drove the car into the swimming pool on this one. He can't even break the starting lineup at ASU. And my guess is he'll be a career backup until he graduates.

But let's just say you're right about Barnett, the fact the he wasn't liked by his teammates would have impacted how they responded to him on the field. So the offense would have suffered either way.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
And not to be ugly about it, but a big part of those 2016 passing yards were jet sweeps, which are recorded as Passes in the stats. Just sayin' .....
I get that. Something like 900 yards on plays from behind the LOS. But, think about it from another perspective. It got the ball in the hands of playmakers, it resulted in more passing yards and TDs, it helped move the ball at times when Hurts might not have done it via the downfield passing game. It felt kind of like Daboll took the training wheels off early, and to reiterate, not unhappy with where we are now, but reading and seeing about the problems made it feel like some of them might have been avoidable.

The counter to any concerns I might have had with player's unhappiness, or Daboll's playcalling would be look where we are now. And I have to concede that things seem better now, and the future on offense looks brighter than it did toward the latter part of the season. So, all is well that ends well.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I am not a huge fan of counterfactual games and what if scenarios in sports because you can never account for injuries, agents and players or coaches leaving for ostensibly greener pastures. That said, as much success as we have had, Coach Saban's hierarchy of trust has been an issue at times. We almost certainly would have beaten Auburn in 2013 with a more diverse run game - take your pick from Henry, Drake, Jones or Tenpenney. Might have beaten them anyway if Saban had been willing to let a linebacker faster than Trey Depriest out there. Amari Cooper played because Dee White got hurt. It White stays healthy, Cooper might have seen mopup duty. Poor Chris Black probably should have played ahead of Christion Jones.

I agree that Coach Saban's decision to bring in Lane Kiffin was huge, but what he finally did on Monday night was on another level. I do agree with those who have said that if he had stuck with Jalen in the second half and the offense looked the same, it would have meant the end of his tenure. Instead, we are looking at a very, very bright future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.