Question: What will Bama's depth chart look like next year?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You has a receiver names Simmons? in your spring game last year. Is he still on the team?

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I think Kedrick James will make some noise at tight end. He's a big guy, too. Listed at 6-5, 270 this year. Could grow into a tackle down the road but very athletic. Still holding out hope that Ben Davis can make an impact at linebacker.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Very interested to see who else gets added to the recruiting class. I think whichever defensive backs and receivers that get added will contribute. This past year proved to me that Saban isn't afraid to play true freshmen. I remember Minkah and Ronnie Harrison started as true freshmen in 2015.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
AFTER DRAFT ANNOUNCMENTS:

LT: Leatherwood/Lashley
LG: Piresbacher/Brown
C: Williams/Kennedy
RG: Cotton/Petibon
RT: Willis/Womack

TE: Hentges/Tennison/Forristall
HB: Smith/Clark/Forristall

RB: D. Harris/N. Harris/Jacobs
QB: Tua/Hurts

SE: Ruggs/Kief
FL: Smith/Townsend
WR: Jeudy/Shavers

DT/E: Buggs/Ray
NG: Mathis/Dwight
DE: Davis/Williams

Jack: Jennings/Lewis
Sam: Miller/Mosley
Will: Moses/Cowan
Mike: Wilson/Benton

CB: Savion Smith/Mayden
CB: Carter/Knott
FS: Thompson/Wright
SS: McKinney/Wright/Diggs
Nickel back: Mayden

P: DeLeong
K: Bulovas
Great projection, especially love the OL. Leatherwood and Wills have got to play. Williams was having trouble and Leatherwood stopped the bleeding. Wills is terrific too.

Hope Diggs and James make a larger contribution than you suggest.

How comfortable are you with Mathis replacing Payne, who IMO, is the biggest loss and most irreplaceable ?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Great projection, especially love the OL. Leatherwood and Wills have got to play. Williams was having trouble and Leatherwood stopped the bleeding. Wills is terrific too.

Hope Diggs and James make a larger contribution than you suggest.

How comfortable are you with Mathis replacing Payne, who IMO, is the biggest loss and most irreplaceable ?
Totally believe James and Diggs could see a move up the depth chart, just going on what is known at the moment and a little projection/speculation....

Mathis gets lots of praise and almost had the shirt removed. I think he and Dwight will be a good combo there.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I had thought that Jonah Williams would move to center next year too. Willis and Leatherwood are too good to keep off the field. Could be a 2012-like OL next year.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
JessN had him as the best player in the 2017 class....which says a lot:

1. Phidarian Mathis DL 6-4 295 5.4 10.0 Monroe, La./Neville

Alabama needed to make a splash on the defensive line and specifically at defensive tackle, and getting no worse than the No. 2 defensive tackle on TideFans.com/NARCAS’s board helps take some of the stress off Alabama’s rotation heading into the fall. Mathis is athletic, strong and violent at the point of contact, playing with aggressively with no sign of back-down in his game. He projects as a nose in Bama’s 3-4 over/under scheme but has the athleticism to slide outside, as well as play quick tackle in a 4-man front. Like most Nick Saban recruits, attitude is not an issue here. Mathis will push for playing time from the outset and while the presence of Da’Ron Payne will probably prevent him from starting, it would be a surprise if Mathis wasn’t on the field early in game one

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I had thought that Jonah Williams would move to center next year too. Willis and Leatherwood are too good to keep off the field. Could be a 2012-like OL next year.
Absolutely could be the most talented offensive line in school history when you factor in that all of the tight ends return. The depth is terrific. Brandon Kennedy would be starting for a lot of teams. He's a terrific offensive lineman. Kendall Randolph is a guy that red shirted last year who is for real.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Looking at the defense, with what I just saw I am not nearly as worried as before. I think Diggs will start, maybe not in the beginning, but at some point this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
I picture him being an Eddie Jackson type player at safety. Jared Mayden needs to step it up.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
No. I was just commenting on how well he looked returning punts. He just looked like he was finally comfortable back there doing it. He looked a little timid at the beginning of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No. I was just commenting on how well he looked returning punts. He just looked like he was finally comfortable back there doing it. He looked a little timid at the beginning of the year.
Agreed - the second half of the season he looked great. He looked very confident against Georgia.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
The question I have is, where do we fit some of the extra offensive linemen not listed in the two deep ? Will one or two guys possibly transfer ? Guys like Dallas Warmack, Josh Casher and Elliott Baker aren't listed the above depth chart and these guys are good players. Plus we have a few freshmen coming in. We could legitimately have three starting offensive lines right now with the depth that's been built up.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
If my math is correct, we'll have 18 OL on scholarship next year if no one leaves early. That's a lot !
The question I have is, where do we fit some of the extra offensive linemen not listed in the two deep ? Will one or two guys possibly transfer ? Guys like Dallas Warmack, Josh Casher and Elliott Baker aren't listed the above depth chart and these guys are good players. Plus we have a few freshmen coming in. We could legitimately have three starting offensive lines right now with the depth that's been built up.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.