Question: What will Bama's depth chart look like next year?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
With Damian Harris coming back, I wonder if there is any thought on moving Ronnie Clark back over to safety? Assuming nobody jumps ship, Harris, Harris, Jacobs, Robinson, Ford...
Could happen, but he'd need to get his weight down a bit. when he signed he was slated to play S and was told he had to stay at or below 215 to make that happen, but he's always been a bit bigger than that. might be able to fit into a package role like Money but this late in his career it might be hard to make a push for a true FS or SS role. Might also be able to gain some weight to add depth at ILB, but again, not sure he could make a push for a starting role this late into his career. He took a redshirt, and graduated in December, so I could also see him moving on to the next phase in his life/career or transferring somewhere to play his last year.

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017
Could happen, but he'd need to get his weight down a bit. when he signed he was slated to play S and was told he had to stay at or below 215 to make that happen, but he's always been a bit bigger than that. might be able to fit into a package role like Money but this late in his career it might be hard to make a push for a true FS or SS role. Might also be able to gain some weight to add depth at ILB, but again, not sure he could make a push for a starting role this late into his career. He took a redshirt, and graduated in December, so I could also see him moving on to the next phase in his life/career or transferring somewhere to play his last year.
I should have been more clear. I meant back on the defensive side of the ball...not necessarily pigeon-holed at safety. I like kids like RC that will do what is best for the team.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The depth charts all look like what I would guess but all have this one glaring issue. The biggest lack of experience in the secondary we have ever put on a field under Saban. Saban's coverages take time to learn and unfortunately there is no way to learn it but to do it. Mental breakdowns lead to long uncontested soul crushing touchdowns. The season will literally hinge on how quickly the new starters learn and how healthy they stay.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The depth charts all look like what I would guess but all have this one glaring issue. The biggest lack of experience in the secondary we have ever put on a field under Saban. Saban's coverages take time to learn and unfortunately there is no way to learn it but to do it. Mental breakdowns lead to long uncontested soul crushing touchdowns. The season will literally hinge on how quickly the new starters learn and how healthy they stay.
Well good thing the schedule plays out fairly well for the inexperienced secondary then...

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I think the secondary will be very good. The talent is there and it helps when you have the types of pass rushers that Alabama will have in 2018. After what our defense endured injury wise in 2017, I'm not afraid of anything.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Speaking of Olinemen, did anyone think Jonah looked really bad even before he got injured. I wondering if he was already injured or sick, because he kept getting beat. Anyone know?
Leatherwood played very well I thought. He'll be the starter at left tackle in 2018 in my opinion. Jedrick Wills will be on the field, too. I think the offensive line could be one of the best Alabama's ever had from a talent standpoint.

cooleddie

1st Team
Jul 27, 2003
pensacola,fl
Speaking of Olinemen, did anyone think Jonah looked really bad even before he got injured. I wondering if he was already injured or sick, because he kept getting beat. Anyone know?
I watched the ESPN Homer Cast version of the game tonight and they said that Jonah was sick, not feeling well, and the staff was putting cold towels on him. This was in the 1st quarter. Leatherwood did a heck of a job coming in after Jonah went down.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I watched the ESPN Homer Cast version of the game tonight and they said that Jonah was sick, not feeling well, and the staff was putting cold towels on him. This was in the 1st quarter. Leatherwood did a heck of a job coming in after Jonah went down.
I watched that version last night, too, and Leatherwood definitely played great. There were so many guys who contributed and made big plays. I know Tua is getting the most credit because he plays QB, but that was a total team effort. It was fun to watch so many different guys step-up and make plays for us. I was able to notice those things more since I wasn't worried about who would win. Even knowing we would win, I found it hard to believe at times that we would be able to get it done. There were many situations in that game when it would have been easy for our guys to say this just isn't our night and quit. We kept playing hard and making plays. It was great.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I watched that version last night, too, and Leatherwood definitely played great. There were so many guys who contributed and made big plays. I know Tua is getting the most credit because he plays QB, but that was a total team effort. It was fun to watch so many different guys step-up and make plays for us. I was able to notice those things more since I wasn't worried about who would win. Even knowing we would win, I found it hard to believe at times that we would be able to get it done. There were many situations in that game when it would have been easy for our guys to say this just isn't our night and quit. We kept playing hard and making plays. It was great.
I have watched the game a few times but only really watched it closely again last night and this is absolutely true. Tua provided the spark, but without GREAT play from a bunch of other guys and a little bit of luck, Alabama does not win that game. Sure, it was still Tua's coming out party, but Alabama needed a whole lot more than Tua to win that game. Everyone on that team deserves as much credit as Tua for #17.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Love your first unit, especially OL. RTR
I'm pretty sure Pierschbacher is back so he will still be the starter at left guard. It will be interesting to see if Wills can beat out Womack at right tackle. Womack played well for the most part but Wills is a beast. The depth and competition up front should be incredible. Also have to factor in all of the tight ends are returning.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm pretty sure Pierschbacher is back so he will still be the starter at left guard. It will be interesting to see if Wills can beat out Womack at right tackle. Womack played well for the most part but Wills is a beast. The depth and competition up front should be incredible. Also have to factor in all of the tight ends are returning.
Saban likes to play the best five guys, so if Wills beats out Womack, we could see Womack move to guard. The question will be if the five guys can gel well enough.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Saban likes to play the best five guys, so if Wills beats out Womack, we could see Womack move to guard. The question will be if the five guys can gel well enough.
I get that but Pierschbacher is a three year starter. If Womack beats him out, then that is saying something. Regardless of what happens, this offensive front, including the tight ends, will be the most talented in the Nick Saban era. There is some serious talent. As far as the group "gelling" I'm honestly not concerned. The way the team came together in the second half against Georgia proved to me that this team truly is next man up. Leatherwood came in for Jonah Williams and I actually think the unit played better than with Williams.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Gonna be a great group of WR. I'm interested in seeing what Shavers can do. Guy is 6'6", 209 lbs. Robert Foster seems to think Shavers is the next man up.
He said, “He’s still raw, but Tyrell Shavers, in my opinion, will be the next man in line," Foster said. "He’s like a big Julio. He’s not as fast, but he’s a big strong receiver who can do it all.”

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
AFTER DRAFT ANNOUNCMENTS:

LT: Leatherwood/Lashley
LG: Piresbacher/Brown
C: Williams/Kennedy
RG: Cotton/Petibon
RT: Willis/Womack

TE: Hentges/Tennison/Forristall
HB: Smith/Clark/Forristall

RB: D. Harris/N. Harris/Jacobs
QB: Tua/Hurts

SE: Ruggs/Kief
FL: Smith/Townsend
WR: Jeudy/Shavers

DT/E: Buggs/Ray
NG: Mathis/Dwight
DE: Davis/Williams

Jack: Jennings/Lewis
Sam: Miller/Mosley
Will: Moses/Cowan
Mike: Wilson/Benton

CB: Savion Smith/Mayden
CB: Carter/Knott
FS: Thompson/Wright
SS: McKinney/Wright/Diggs
Nickel back: Mayden

P: DeLeong
K: Bulovas

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.