Crazy Stat - Tua Had More Passing TDs Than 19 FBS Teams

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I believe we all need to sit back and slow down on the assumptions Tua will be the next Montana/Elway/Favre combination quarterback.

Teams have had 2 years to figure out Jalen Hurts, and they essentially did. Alabama is the one of the most watched, analyzed, scrutinized, and dissected teams in the country. Tua MAY be great coming out of the first game and never lose his composure or a game, or he may have had one of those other-worldly games some QBs have. We will have to see if he's durable, consistent, and teams can't figure out how to scheme against his (if any exist) weaknesses in our playbook.

I'm optimistic, but it seems people are losing their heads thinking he's going to score 7 touchdowns a game. Jalen scored many, many touchdowns with his feet, which made his overall effectiveness better than most quarterbacks in the country. Jalen's passing problems are overly well documented in these threads, but so many have forgotten how good at game management, composure, and staying healthy he is.

I wonder if Jalen had one of those typical "sophomore slumps" so, so many QBs have.

But, I sure hope what we saw from Tua is the norm, because he played the best I've ever seen an Alabama QB play off of the bench and maybe even ever against a very good defense.
We don't need your level-headed, rational thinking in this thread, mister.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I hope we don't find ourselves needing to throw quite as badly as we did in the NC game. I want Tua to pass well, and effectively, put up good numbers to set himself up for a big NFL career, if possible, but I don't care to see an air raid. Leave that to the Mike Leach teams. Could he best the next Elway/Favre/Montana/Marino? Possibly, and that would be awesome. But what if he is just a little better AJ? I would take that too.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Here is another one...

Tua threw 11 touchdowns in 77 passes. 1 TD for every 7.7 throws.
Jalen threw 17 touchdowns in 254 passes. 1 TD for every 14.9 throws.

Baker Mayfield threw 43 touchdowns in 404 passes. 1 TD for every 9.4 throws.
Josh Rosen threw 26 touchdowns in 452 passes. 1 TD for every 17.4 throws.
Sam Darnold threw 26 touchdowns in 480 passes. 1 TD for every 18.5 throws.

Now, I know that Tua's situation is way different than the other guys but...yikes. I think it does show his big play potential.
We’re going to have to give you poor marks for your math skills. :wink:

11 TD’s in 77 passes = 1 TD every 7 passes.

Hey, that’s even better.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I believe we all need to sit back and slow down on the assumptions Tua will be the next Montana/Elway/Favre combination quarterback.

Teams have had 2 years to figure out Jalen Hurts, and they essentially did. Alabama is the one of the most watched, analyzed, scrutinized, and dissected teams in the country. Tua MAY be great coming out of the first game and never lose his composure or a game, or he may have had one of those other-worldly games some QBs have. We will have to see if he's durable, consistent, and teams can't figure out how to scheme against his (if any exist) weaknesses in our playbook.

I'm optimistic, but it seems people are losing their heads thinking he's going to score 7 touchdowns a game. Jalen scored many, many touchdowns with his feet, which made his overall effectiveness better than most quarterbacks in the country. Jalen's passing problems are overly well documented in these threads, but so many have forgotten how good at game management, composure, and staying healthy he is.

I wonder if Jalen had one of those typical "sophomore slumps" so, so many QBs have.

But, I sure hope what we saw from Tua is the norm, because he played the best I've ever seen an Alabama QB play off of the bench and maybe even ever against a very good defense.
I don't need anybody telling me not be excited about what I thought would happen if Tua was unleased and then what we saw happen. So no thank you, I'll be giddy about the future!!!

Here's the reason: You can figure out a one read QB who is more comfortable running than passing. You can't figure out a guy who knows where every route is going and who can go thru progressions and then sling the ball in a nanosecond. They are rare, at any level, but we have one.

Oh, and about those TDs Jalen provided with his legs but couldn't with his arm. We didn't need him to do that because we had the most stacked running back group in the country. Most of those QB runs could have been coming from the running backs and in the future they will.

TheTideRolls

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 31, 2015
I don't need anybody telling me not be excited about what I thought would happen if Tua was unleased and then what we saw happen. So no thank you, I'll be giddy about the future!!!

Here's the reason: You can figure out a one read QB who is more comfortable running than passing. You can't figure out a guy who knows where every route is going and who can go thru progressions and then sling the ball in a nanosecond. They are rare, at any level, but we have one.

Oh, and about those TDs Jalen provided with his legs but couldn't with his arm. We didn't need him to do that because we had the most stacked running back group in the country. Most of those QB runs could have been coming from the running backs and in the future they will.
100%

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
His TD percentage as a passer was 14.3%, a very high number.
Hurts was 6.7%

Tua's overall QB rating was 175, would have been tops in the SEC if he threw enough passes to qualify.

This guy has Heisman candidate written all over him next year, whats it going to look like when he matures and gets more experience?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.