Crazy Stat - Tua Had More Passing TDs Than 19 FBS Teams - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: Crazy Stat - Tua Had More Passing TDs Than 19 FBS Teams

Here is another one...

Tua threw 11 touchdowns in 77 passes. 1 TD for every 7.7 throws.
    Jalen threw 17 touchdowns in 254 passes. 1 TD for every 14.9 throws.

Baker Mayfield threw 43 touchdowns in 404 passes. 1 TD for every 9.4 throws.
    Josh Rosen threw 26 touchdowns in 452 passes. 1 TD for every 17.4 throws.
    Sam Darnold threw 26 touchdowns in 480 passes. 1 TD for every 18.5 throws.

Now, I know that Tua's situation is way different than the other guys but...yikes. I think it does show his big play potential.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBen15 View Post
    Here is another one...

Now, I know that Tua's situation is way different than the other guys but...yikes. I think it does show his big play potential.
    I believe we all need to sit back and slow down on the assumptions Tua will be the next Montana/Elway/Favre combination quarterback.

Teams have had 2 years to figure out Jalen Hurts, and they essentially did. Alabama is the one of the most watched, analyzed, scrutinized, and dissected teams in the country. Tua MAY be great coming out of the first game and never lose his composure or a game, or he may have had one of those other-worldly games some QBs have. We will have to see if he's durable, consistent, and teams can't figure out how to scheme against his (if any exist) weaknesses in our playbook.

I'm optimistic, but it seems people are losing their heads thinking he's going to score 7 touchdowns a game. Jalen scored many, many touchdowns with his feet, which made his overall effectiveness better than most quarterbacks in the country. Jalen's passing problems are overly well documented in these threads, but so many have forgotten how good at game management, composure, and staying healthy he is.

I wonder if Jalen had one of those typical "sophomore slumps" so, so many QBs have.

But, I sure hope what we saw from Tua is the norm, because he played the best I've ever seen an Alabama QB play off of the bench and maybe even ever against a very good defense.
    The Golden Rule for internet postings:

If you don't have anything nice to say, then say it with class, say it eloquently, and for goodness sake use the English language like your English teacher tried so hard to teach you.

Here is another one...

So if we meet in the middle on Jalen's passes and Mayfield's passes that would be 330 passes. Based on Tua's 1 TD per 7.7 throws that would calculate to 43 TD's which is how many Mayfield had on 74 more passes.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by mdb-tpet View Post
    I believe we all need to sit back and slow down on the assumptions Tua will be the next Montana/Elway/Favre combination quarterback.

Teams have had 2 years to figure out Jalen Hurts, and they essentially did. Alabama is the one of the most watched, analyzed, scrutinized, and dissected teams in the country. Tua MAY be great coming out of the first game and never lose his composure or a game, or he may have had one of those other-worldly games some QBs have. We will have to see if he's durable, consistent, and teams can't figure out how to scheme against his (if any exist) weaknesses in our playbook.

I'm optimistic, but it seems people are losing their heads thinking he's going to score 7 touchdowns a game. Jalen scored many, many touchdowns with his feet, which made his overall effectiveness better than most quarterbacks in the country. Jalen's passing problems are overly well documented in these threads, but so many have forgotten how good at game management, composure, and staying healthy he is.

I wonder if Jalen had one of those typical "sophomore slumps" so, so many QBs have.

But, I sure hope what we saw from Tua is the norm, because he played the best I've ever seen an Alabama QB play off of the bench and maybe even ever against a very good defense.

Nobody is comparing him to Elway, Montana or Farve. I did compare him to QBs THIS year AND gave the qualifier that it was not the same. There is a reason that many(fans, players, etc.) were already calling for Tua before his heroics. This wasn't a one time thing that came out of the blue. He's shown it in practice and in games.

That said...Hurts did not have a "Sophomore Slump". Teams had largely figured him out last year. He was fortunate to have a ridiculous defense that often could have won games single handily.

I'm going to continue to blindly go forward believing Tua will break every record at Bama because... why should I believe anything else? Saban and CO are essentially re-writing the record books almost annually, might as well go with the flow...

RTR!
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

I don't think anyone is saying he is going to score 7 touchdowns a game . Jalens a great kid but the reason teams learned to scheme against him was because his main or primary attribute was his legs. Once they forced him into critical passing situations , it was a blueprint on how to effectively attack the offense. What fans are talking about now is that we can open up the playbook with a more versatile passing attack combined with a rushing game. It will not provide opposing defenses the ability to play us as a one dimensional attack and respecting all areas of the offense. As far as a sophomore slump? I think the truer answer is teams figured out that they needed to load the box and challenge our vertical game. I don't think there was a sophomore slump, it was another year to study what the offense could or couldn't do. If you pose a threat passing , that blueprint is no longer there. RTR
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Let us assume he remains healthy, and his supporting cast largely does the same.

The only thing that will hold him back is Coach Saban. As in, not letting us put up 77 on an opponent and embarrass them. Certainly, we'll have games against elite defenses that can keep us from putting up 50. But on average, this offense will be capable of easily averaging 60+ if it wants to.

BamaNation First Team

We don't need your level-headed, rational thinking in this thread, mister.

BamaNation First Team

I hope we don't find ourselves needing to throw quite as badly as we did in the NC game. I want Tua to pass well, and effectively, put up good numbers to set himself up for a big NFL career, if possible, but I don't care to see an air raid. Leave that to the Mike Leach teams. Could he best the next Elway/Favre/Montana/Marino? Possibly, and that would be awesome. But what if he is just a little better AJ? I would take that too.

BamaNation All-American Go Bama's Avatar

Here is another one...

We’re going to have to give you poor marks for your math skills.

11 TD’s in 77 passes = 1 TD every 7 passes.

Hey, that’s even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post

113,114, 115, 116, 117...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I don't need anybody telling me not be excited about what I thought would happen if Tua was unleased and then what we saw happen. So no thank you, I'll be giddy about the future!!!

Here's the reason: You can figure out a one read QB who is more comfortable running than passing. You can't figure out a guy who knows where every route is going and who can go thru progressions and then sling the ball in a nanosecond. They are rare, at any level, but we have one.

Oh, and about those TDs Jalen provided with his legs but couldn't with his arm. We didn't need him to do that because we had the most stacked running back group in the country. Most of those QB runs could have been coming from the running backs and in the future they will.

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I don't need anybody telling me not be excited about what I thought would happen if Tua was unleased and then what we saw happen. So no thank you, I'll be giddy about the future!!!

Here's the reason: You can figure out a one read QB who is more comfortable running than passing. You can't figure out a guy who knows where every route is going and who can go thru progressions and then sling the ball in a nanosecond. They are rare, at any level, but we have one.

Oh, and about those TDs Jalen provided with his legs but couldn't with his arm. We didn't need him to do that because we had the most stacked running back group in the country. Most of those QB runs could have been coming from the running backs and in the future they will.
    100%