Crazy Stat - Tua Had More Passing TDs Than 19 FBS Teams

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Tua finished the season with 11 TDs.

He had more than triple-option schools (Navy, Georgia Tech, Air Force, and Army).

The bigger programs? Michigan (9) and Florida and Kentucky (10).

The entire list:

Army 2
Tulsa 6
Rice 6
UTEP 7
Rutgers 7
Illinois 8
New Mexico 8
Kent St. 8
Ga. Southern 8
Michigan 9
Old Dominion 9
Minnesota 9
Kentucky 10
UNLV 10
Florida 10
Charlotte 10
Air Force 10
Georgia Tech 10
Navy 10

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Quite interesting. I suppose there is a formula that could be used to make a reasonable guess what he might have done if he had been the starter. Since he only played mop-up duty during the regular season he couldn't really throw so much since calling too many pass plays would appear that we are simply trying to run up the score.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I just peeked ahead to 2018...
Things look bright for us.
We have the Running backs. We have the Quarterbacks. We have lots of guys with game experience.
And Lastly... We have Auburn at home. We have MSU at home, No Cow Bells either...

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm going to go ahead and say the over/under on Tua TD passes for next season is (39.5)

With that I'll take the over... Barring injury I see 40+ Passing TD's in 2018.

It's not as crazy as it sounds. He threw 11 TD's in 2-3 games worth of reps this year.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I'm going to go ahead and say the over/under on Tua TD passes for next season is (39.5)

With that I'll take the over... Barring injury I see 40+ Passing TD's in 2018.

It's not as crazy as it sounds. He threw 11 TD's in 2-3 games worth of reps this year.
I agree, it's not crazy. For once we truly have a passing QB that could achieve those sort of stats. Kid is gonna break and set some records, that's for sure.

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017
Crazy stat: If you look at passing TDs for this season, there were 3 times that a QB threw for 3 TDs. 1. Hurts against Mercer. 2. Tua against Mercer. 3. Tua against UGA.

It is unbelievable to think that he matched our season high in ONE HALF of a National Championship game. Crazy.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I just peeked ahead to 2018...
Things look bright for us.
We have the Running backs. We have the Quarterbacks. We have lots of guys with game experience.
And Lastly... We have Auburn at home. We have MSU at home, No Cow Bells either...
I dearly hope Tua is throwing a bomb on the last play with the score Bama 100 - Barn 0.

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017
Here is another one...

Tua threw 11 touchdowns in 77 passes. 1 TD for every 7.7 throws.
Jalen threw 17 touchdowns in 254 passes. 1 TD for every 14.9 throws.

Baker Mayfield threw 43 touchdowns in 404 passes. 1 TD for every 9.4 throws.
Josh Rosen threw 26 touchdowns in 452 passes. 1 TD for every 17.4 throws.
Sam Darnold threw 26 touchdowns in 480 passes. 1 TD for every 18.5 throws.

Now, I know that Tua's situation is way different than the other guys but...yikes. I think it does show his big play potential.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Here is another one...

Now, I know that Tua's situation is way different than the other guys but...yikes. I think it does show his big play potential.
I believe we all need to sit back and slow down on the assumptions Tua will be the next Montana/Elway/Favre combination quarterback.

Teams have had 2 years to figure out Jalen Hurts, and they essentially did. Alabama is the one of the most watched, analyzed, scrutinized, and dissected teams in the country. Tua MAY be great coming out of the first game and never lose his composure or a game, or he may have had one of those other-worldly games some QBs have. We will have to see if he's durable, consistent, and teams can't figure out how to scheme against his (if any exist) weaknesses in our playbook.

I'm optimistic, but it seems people are losing their heads thinking he's going to score 7 touchdowns a game. Jalen scored many, many touchdowns with his feet, which made his overall effectiveness better than most quarterbacks in the country. Jalen's passing problems are overly well documented in these threads, but so many have forgotten how good at game management, composure, and staying healthy he is.

I wonder if Jalen had one of those typical "sophomore slumps" so, so many QBs have.

But, I sure hope what we saw from Tua is the norm, because he played the best I've ever seen an Alabama QB play off of the bench and maybe even ever against a very good defense.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Here is another one...

So if we meet in the middle on Jalen's passes and Mayfield's passes that would be 330 passes. Based on Tua's 1 TD per 7.7 throws that would calculate to 43 TD's which is how many Mayfield had on 74 more passes.:eek2:

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017
I believe we all need to sit back and slow down on the assumptions Tua will be the next Montana/Elway/Favre combination quarterback.

Teams have had 2 years to figure out Jalen Hurts, and they essentially did. Alabama is the one of the most watched, analyzed, scrutinized, and dissected teams in the country. Tua MAY be great coming out of the first game and never lose his composure or a game, or he may have had one of those other-worldly games some QBs have. We will have to see if he's durable, consistent, and teams can't figure out how to scheme against his (if any exist) weaknesses in our playbook.

I'm optimistic, but it seems people are losing their heads thinking he's going to score 7 touchdowns a game. Jalen scored many, many touchdowns with his feet, which made his overall effectiveness better than most quarterbacks in the country. Jalen's passing problems are overly well documented in these threads, but so many have forgotten how good at game management, composure, and staying healthy he is.

I wonder if Jalen had one of those typical "sophomore slumps" so, so many QBs have.

But, I sure hope what we saw from Tua is the norm, because he played the best I've ever seen an Alabama QB play off of the bench and maybe even ever against a very good defense.

Nobody is comparing him to Elway, Montana or Farve. I did compare him to QBs THIS year AND gave the qualifier that it was not the same. There is a reason that many(fans, players, etc.) were already calling for Tua before his heroics. This wasn't a one time thing that came out of the blue. He's shown it in practice and in games.

That said...Hurts did not have a "Sophomore Slump". Teams had largely figured him out last year. He was fortunate to have a ridiculous defense that often could have won games single handily.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm going to continue to blindly go forward believing Tua will break every record at Bama because... why should I believe anything else? Saban and CO are essentially re-writing the record books almost annually, might as well go with the flow...

RTR!

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

I don't think anyone is saying he is going to score 7 touchdowns a game . Jalens a great kid but the reason teams learned to scheme against him was because his main or primary attribute was his legs. Once they forced him into critical passing situations , it was a blueprint on how to effectively attack the offense. What fans are talking about now is that we can open up the playbook with a more versatile passing attack combined with a rushing game. It will not provide opposing defenses the ability to play us as a one dimensional attack and respecting all areas of the offense. As far as a sophomore slump? I think the truer answer is teams figured out that they needed to load the box and challenge our vertical game. I don't think there was a sophomore slump, it was another year to study what the offense could or couldn't do. If you pose a threat passing , that blueprint is no longer there. RTR

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Let us assume he remains healthy, and his supporting cast largely does the same.

The only thing that will hold him back is Coach Saban. As in, not letting us put up 77 on an opponent and embarrass them. Certainly, we'll have games against elite defenses that can keep us from putting up 50. But on average, this offense will be capable of easily averaging 60+ if it wants to.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.