Najee Harris is the best RB on the team

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The biggest question mark for me IRT N Harris is his top end speed. IIRC he ran something like a 4.65 40 yard dash which is a tick slower than what we're used to. Most 40 times before the combine aren't laser timed so he may be closer to 4.70. Now, that doesn't mean he's not going to be a great back because I think he is but that may be the one dimension he's missing. He's obviously great at receiving and running with power. He's going to be a lot of fun to watch over the next few years..

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Would love to see Josh Jacobs at 100%, too. I didn't realize that he played on a broken ankle half of the year. He's a great all purpose player when healthy. Don't sleep on Brian Robinson, either. He's legit. It will be fun to see what true freshman out of the 2018 class contribute right away.
It appears to me that Jacobs has huge potential in the passing game with Tua. In space against a linebacker he could gain some yardage. This would be his meal ticket to the NFL versus an inside runner.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Nope. It is physically impossible to be "too giddy" about the offensive prospects for next year. With Tua at quarterback, teams will not be able to walk a safety down into the box to try and stop the run. Defensive coordinators are simply going to have to pick their poison; we either cram the ball down your throat, or we throw it over your head.
Heads... we win.
Tails... you lose.
And, the defense should benefit greatly from an offense that can actually stay on the field for more than three plays at a time.
And that could conceivably be even more important this season with a relatively green secondary. I know that we`ll miss Payne, freak that he is, but I still think the front 7 has a chance to be pretty salty, regardless. It`s the back end that will be a project, IMO.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
And that could conceivably be even more important this season with a relatively green secondary. I know that we`ll miss Payne, freak that he is, but I still think the front 7 has a chance to be pretty salty, regardless. It`s the back end that will be a project, IMO.
I think that the secondary will be very good. There is elite talent and we haven't finished the recruiting class yet. After what this team endured from an injury standpoint in 2017, I have no fear.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
It appears to me that Jacobs has huge potential in the passing game with Tua. In space against a linebacker he could gain some yardage. This would be his meal ticket to the NFL versus an inside runner.
Jacobs reminds me of some of those all purpose backs that New England has. He's fun to watch when healthy.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Can't remember which game it was, but I loved seeing Herbie eat his words when he said Damien wasn't a power back and then on the VERY next play he ran through 3 tackles. Damien is a beast.

I think that the secondary will be very good. There is elite talent and we haven't finished the recruiting class yet. After what this team endured from an injury standpoint in 2017, I have no fear.
Secondary would be even more important this time around than the LB corps. Because of the greenness, if we were to get decimated by injury again it would not be able to patchwork like the LB were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Secondary would be even more important this time around than the LB corps. Because of the greenness, if we were to get decimated by injury again it would not be able to patchwork like the LB were.

I think some of the guys lack experience because they were sitting behind players like Fitzpatrick and Harrison. The talent is there. I'm not worried. Remember that we were replacing most of the secondary going into 2015 and we know how that ended. The pass rush on the 2018 team should be one of the best in program history so that will help out the secondary.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
The biggest question mark for me IRT N Harris is his top end speed. IIRC he ran something like a 4.65 40 yard dash which is a tick slower than what we're used to. Most 40 times before the combine aren't laser timed so he may be closer to 4.70. Now, that doesn't mean he's not going to be a great back because I think he is but that may be the one dimension he's missing. He's obviously great at receiving and running with power. He's going to be a lot of fun to watch over the next few years..
Sometimes guys get faster after being in our strength and conditioning program, also depends on what we want to do with him.
Beef him up some, or stay lean and quick.
Since he’s already got the size, we’ll probably want him lean and maximize speed and quickness.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Sometimes guys get faster after being in our strength and conditioning program, also depends on what we want to do with him.
Beef him up some, or stay lean and quick.
Since he’s already got the size, we’ll probably want him lean and maximize speed and quickness.
For sure. He's also a guy that probably has a little better game speed than test speed. I really have no insight into whether or not he could trim a little body fat or not but if he's able to slightly increase his acceleration to top speed he'll be one of the most complete backs we've had around here..

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Thing about Saban is that "the best player" is a judgement he makes and he takes into account lots of stuff. Lots of freshman are ready to play as freshmen but lots of them play too much, absorb too much punishment before their bodies are truly ready for it. They lack blocking skills, they fumble more than older players. Saban looks at all of that. I do believe Saban is a little too slow to put them out there but we've also seen when we were forced to play freshmen it often led to pain. Plus by holding them back it's like they explode on people when they finally get to play. The NT game seemed almost like an old west shootout, GA was using the usual 6 shooter and then at the half Saban said, Ok, it's time to whip out the glock 9 with hollowpoint high grains, ya know, cause we might actually need em this half.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I agree about Najee's speed. He does not have the burst/runaway speed our other guys have but has great vision, instincts and physicality. Going to be fun to watch over the next two years.

I think some of the guys lack experience because they were sitting behind players like Fitzpatrick and Harrison. The talent is there. I'm not worried. Remember that we were replacing most of the secondary going into 2015 and we know how that ended. The pass rush on the 2018 team should be one of the best in program history so that will help out the secondary.
You’re right. I forget about that. Still, it’s a troublesome going forward.

That pass rush should be devastating, if we can find the right combination and replace DP we should win it all again.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
You’re right. I forget about that. Still, it’s a troublesome going forward.

That pass rush should be devastating, if we can find the right combination and replace DP we should win it all again.

There are plenty of athletes in the secondary. Plus there probably will be a couple more added by the final signing day. It's just about finding the right combination and sticking with it. I'm intrigued to see where Diggs ends up playing, whether it be safety or corner. Shy Carter played against Georgia and Deointe Thompson is guaranteed to start at one safety spot. Saivion Smith will start at one corner spot. He's a stud athlete. Now is the time for a guy like Jared Mayden to step forward. I do agree on replacing Payne. That will be a big chore. Hopefully we recruit a guy for that spot or someone else already on the team steps up.

There are plenty of athletes in the secondary. Plus there probably will be a couple more added by the final signing day. It's just about finding the right combination and sticking with it. I'm intrigued to see where Diggs ends up playing, whether it be safety or corner. Shy Carter played against Georgia and Deointe Thompson is guaranteed to start at one safety spot. Saivion Smith will start at one corner spot. He's a stud athlete. Now is the time for a guy like Jared Mayden to step forward. I do agree on replacing Payne. That will be a big chore. Hopefully we recruit a guy for that spot or someone else already on the team steps up.
I’m hoping Nigel Knott comes through.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Agreed. If we had that situation all season, Damien Harris is mentioned in the same breath as Mark Ingram on a daily basis.
The funny part is that Harris has been a more effective runner on a per carry basis - Ingrams best year at Bama he averaged 6.1 ypc, Harris has averaged 7.1 and 7.4 ypc over the last two seasons...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The funny part is that Harris has been a more effective runner on a per carry basis - Ingrams best year at Bama he averaged 6.1 ypc, Harris has averaged 7.1 and 7.4 ypc over the last two seasons...
and got to 1,000 in both seasons. iirc, he is only the second or third back to do that at bama. i am hoping for a 3rd 1,000 yd season from him next year.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
No offense intended - but I Gotta say, its sorta bizarre reading some of these concerned posts - how our coach - who in one breath is praised as the "GOAT" - but in the next breath is criticized as some kind of grumpy old curmudgeon who (somehow) has suddenly developed a "problem" with not wanting to play younger players????

Uh... If memory serves, Among the many that got significant PT as True Freshman, I think we'd include - Mark Ingram, Jr., Mark Baron, Julio Jones, Derrick Henry, TJ Yeldon, Cyrus Kouandjio, Cam Robinson, Marcell Dareus, Trent Richardson, Rolando McClain, Courtney Upshaw, and what's-his-name? oh yea - a guy they call Jalen Hurts! LOL!!!

And that's probably a VERY Incomplete list - and doesn't include dozens who were playing a lot after one year as a RS.

But suddenly Alabama has this Huge "Problem" that our coach won't give underclassmen a chance?????? WOW!!! :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.