Question: What information is there about Kirby and the way he left, and his recruiting tactics

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
This has been alluded to in some other threads, specifically the interview that was posted a little while ago with Kevin Hagan. Everyone should listen to that it was great. My question is what did CKS do to burn bridges, what gentlemen's agreements did he break, and how is recruiting negatively against Bama?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Look no further than the man under center for the Jawja bulldogs this season, Jake Fromm. Committed to Alabama for a while he bolted for Georgia when Kirby left. I understand this is a cutthroat business and all, but I was disappointed to learn of the way Kirby left, not sure why, but I was. I'm sure there are other examples out there as well.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Look no further than the man under center for the Jawja bulldogs this season, Jake Fromm. Committed to Alabama for a while he bolted for Georgia when Kirby left. I understand this is a cutthroat business and all, but I was disappointed to learn of the way Kirby left, not sure why, but I was. I'm sure there are other examples out there as well.
Not that I have any inside info, (and my memory is not clear on this) but didn't Kirby pretty much start recruiting all the Alabama commits that he wanted for UGa as soon as he was hired?
As well as at least a couple guys already on our roster?
And didn't he raise holy "Heck" about a guy he persuaded into transferring, when Saban wouldn't give a release, then turned around and deny releases to guys on his team who wanted to transfer to Miami?

I admit I could have those things all wrong - just shooting from the hip here.

FWIW, a buddy who follows recruiting tells me that Kirby has always been a Ruthless and even "Dirty" recruiter, but we never complained about his misbehavior because he was doing it FOR us, versus now when he's doing it TO us. I have Zero frame of reference to judge whether that statement if fair or not - I simply offer it as the opinion of One person I know.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the only thing i really care about wrt kirby right now, 6 freshmen 2nd stringers were part of the offense that pantsed his defense in the 2nd half and overtime.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
the only thing i really care about wrt kirby right now, 6 freshmen 2nd stringers were part of the offense that pantsed his defense in the 2nd half and overtime.
Scarred it up like Freddy Kruger's blades through a rib cage. (Don't ask me why that analogy popped in my head. I'm actually afraid to try to answer it.) LOL!

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I read in an article that Kirby took a picture of Alabama's recruiting board before he left and showed it to prospects we were recruiting. The point was to show the prospects they were lower on our board than what Saban / Alabama led them to believe. I believe the article was by Aaron Suttles who is a respected media person.

Found the link and the most pertinent part:

"The Tuscaloosa News learned that on his way out the door, Smart took a picture of Alabama’s recruiting board, which hangs in the inner sanctum of the Alabama football building, and showed it to recruits who weren’t necessarily at the top of that board. His message was simple: Alabama doesn’t want you as much as it says it does."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/yes-kirby-smart-is-a-traitor/ar-BBI0RBO

TAKEPRIDE22

2nd Team
Jul 21, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Not surprising to me...recruiting is a cut throat game...I think most if not all of us expected him to model GA like Bama...would be crazy not to...no love lost.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I read in an article that Kirby took a picture of Alabama's recruiting board before he left and showed it to prospects we were recruiting. The point was to show the prospects they were lower on our board than what Saban / Alabama led them to believe. I believe the article was by Aaron Suttles who is a respected media person.

Found the link and the most pertinent part:

"The Tuscaloosa News learned that on his way out the door, Smart took a picture of Alabama’s recruiting board, which hangs in the inner sanctum of the Alabama football building, and showed it to recruits who weren’t necessarily at the top of that board. His message was simple: Alabama doesn’t want you as much as it says it does."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/yes-kirby-smart-is-a-traitor/ar-BBI0RBO
"Assuming this report is true, Kirby is an underhanded, back-stabbing hypocrite. Alabama fans have no reason to wish him anything but the worst from this point forward."

I'm in.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL

I have seen some of this before, but the way he used the recruiting board was atrocious. Every team in every sport has a board like this if they are recruiting or drafting. How would that slime ball like for someone to do that to him because we all know he has a board because Nick Saban has one. That guy hasn't ever had an original thought in his life. He is doing nothing but taking decades of hard work by CNS and implementing it step by step. The defense he ran for CNS wasn't his defense it was Saban's defense. He developed the scheme. I will now be actively pulling against thUGA from now on. On a side note I hope Pruitt does a better job handling all of this.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
This has been alluded to in some other threads, specifically the interview that was posted a little while ago with Kevin Hagan. Everyone should listen to that it was great. My question is what did CKS do to burn bridges, what gentlemen's agreements did he break, and how is recruiting negatively against Bama?
I actually slipped that thread because I was unsure of the importance now it is hard to even find because of all the posts in the past day. Tidefans has been moving at a rapid pace the past few days.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
The cell phone picture of our recruit board is true. What he did with it is also true. CKS is an unethical, lying, slimy piece of garbage. I can’t wait until we can beat them again and again. I have zero respect for him or his program.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Maurice Smith - I thought I remembered that.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/8/10/12432866/maurice-smith-alabama-release-georgia

EDIT - and here is Kirby in the ULTIMATE ACT OF HYPOCRISY - after publicly whining about Maurice Smith not getting a waiver (and Saban ultimately caved and gave it) - Smart then denied Waivers to his own players.

What a piece of work!!!
Kirby could be a 'Butt', but he picked his time and place...
He has a little bit of the Hugh Freeze personality in him.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.