UCF Fans Remain Cute

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Aww, UCF fans got themselves a trophy, a "participation trophy" as it were. That...is...adorable.

Maybe if I keep telling myself that I am married to Dannish Supermodel, Nina Agdal, it will actually become real. Dont't interrupt me....it's not a lie if I believe it.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Although it does cause me just the slightest amount of irritation, I can see fit to letting them have their fun. Because, unless an absolute miracle happens, that is the closest they will ever come to an National Championship. Bless their hearts.

Roll Tide!

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
The one article is somewhat correct in that we do claim national titles that could be disputed, and there are some we don't claim that maybe we could. But what the article underplays is the fact that there is now an accepted method of crowning a champ so that we can avoid having multiple teams all claim the same year. UCF is in the group that plays by that set of guidelines. You can't just decide you are going to work outside those guidelines because you disagree with the results (that goes for you too, USC). I really wish UCF had played OSU, so they could have gotten curb-stomped appropriately.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The one article is somewhat correct in that we do claim national titles that could be disputed, and there are some we don't claim that maybe we could. But what the article underplays is the fact that there is now an accepted method of crowning a champ so that we can avoid having multiple teams all claim the same year. UCF is in the group that plays by that set of guidelines. You can't just decide you are going to work outside those guidelines because you disagree with the results (that goes for you too, USC). I really wish UCF had played OSU, so they could have gotten curb-stomped appropriately.
I've said it before, maybe in this thread. But what should happen is the Group of 5 conferences break away and have their own playoff. Make it a 16 team playoff, and crown their own national champion. Yes, this would end several bowl games at the bottom of the ladder, but who cares? Or if the bowls want to continue to invite teams that don't make the G5 playoff, that's fine by me. But they lose their guaranteed spot in the New Year's Six bowl games, and they lose all shared revenue from the New Year's Six bowls and CFP.

But they won't do this because it would mean a huge "pay cut" for them as a collective. Then again, they would control their own playoff and maybe ESPN forks out a ton of money for it. But no, they want to be tied to the big boys for the prestige and exposure.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
In the final CFP ranking they were #12 and with such an impressive resume. So close to making the playoffs. If only they expanded the playoffs to eight teams. Oh shucks, still would not have made it.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I've said it before, maybe in this thread. But what should happen is the Group of 5 conferences break away and have their own playoff. Make it a 16 team playoff, and crown their own national champion. Yes, this would end several bowl games at the bottom of the ladder, but who cares? Or if the bowls want to continue to invite teams that don't make the G5 playoff, that's fine by me. But they lose their guaranteed spot in the New Year's Six bowl games, and they lose all shared revenue from the New Year's Six bowls and CFP.

But they won't do this because it would mean a huge "pay cut" for them as a collective. Then again, they would control their own playoff and maybe ESPN forks out a ton of money for it. But no, they want to be tied to the big boys for the prestige and exposure.
The prestige and exposure mean less than the money. This effectively kicks them down a level and makes them no different than an FCS school, or something in between where we are and where the FCS schools are. Anything claiming a differentiation between the Power 5 and Group of 5, including having those conferences grouped up like that, diminishes all of it for them anyway (money, exposure, prestige). If the UCF's of the world want to not be overlooked, then they have to play a legit big boy for all of their non-conference games, and win them all. And then hope enough of their brethren the group of 5 do the same, narrowing the perceived gap. But like it or not, that gap exists, and it is enormous for a reason. Could UCF beat Bama? Sure, 1 or 2 times out of 10. Did they deserve a playoff spot for what they did? Absolutely not. And you can't be champ without playing in the championship game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The prestige and exposure mean less than the money. This effectively kicks them down a level and makes them no different than an FCS school, or something in between where we are and where the FCS schools are. Anything claiming a differentiation between the Power 5 and Group of 5, including having those conferences grouped up like that, diminishes all of it for them anyway (money, exposure, prestige). If the UCF's of the world want to not be overlooked, then they have to play a legit big boy for all of their non-conference games, and win them all. And then hope enough of their brethren the group of 5 do the same, narrowing the perceived gap. But like it or not, that gap exists, and it is enormous for a reason. Could UCF beat Bama? Sure, 1 or 2 times out of 10. Did they deserve a playoff spot for what they did? Absolutely not. And you can't be champ without playing in the championship game.
That's the problem. The scheduling just isn't possible. They would have had to have scheduled an Alabama or Texas or the like back when they sucked and then got lucky to have them on the schedule last season. They simply don't have the built in advantage of having played football at a high level for over a century. Scheduling is done years in advance. No one wants a home and home with UCF because there is little money in it. They want a home and home with Alabama, but we aren't giving up our one off neutral site series any time soon, and if we did do a home and home, it would never be with a UCF because the match up wouldn't garner enough interest. Alabama vs. UCF is far less desirable than Alabama vs. Texas, even if Texas is mediocre right now and UCF is coming off an undefeated season. It is what it is.

Yes, I agree my suggestion effectively knocks them down a level. But it allows them a legitimate national championship tournament, that would be valued much higher than the FCS one, and obviously, a great deal lower than the CFP, but it is still legit. What UCF is doing now is a cute little troll job, but in a couple of years no one is going to care. Not even them. In a couple of years they will all feel foolish for having participated. Does anyone in Auburn talk about the Peoples Championship they won in 2004?

They cannot overcome the gap as it exists today. It will never happen. What they truly want is to change the parameters of the game. And that's why you've seen some of the troll style sports media glom on to this, because they want the whole thing blown up as well.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They cannot overcome the gap as it exists today. It will never happen. .
Actually, they can, they're just unwilling to make the necessary sacrifice (in short, giving up their OOC games) to do so.

if UCF had played four decent P5 teams as their OOC games - likely all away games, mind you - and had finished 13-0, I suspect they would have been in the top4. But they're not willing to do that - they want it on their terms, they want everyone to cater to them.

The reality is they're a nobody program that really shouldn't be FBS, but under the incredibly lax NCAA rules, they've been able tomato the move. As long as the NCAA allows these ....ant programs that are the equivalent to East Popcorn State Girl's College to have an FBS program the disparity will exist.

And it should exist.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
We have to remember that this is still a team that ran from..........yea Georgia Tech.....

Why on Earth people think we should give UCF a home game in 4-5 years (probably the earliest we could even get them on schedule unless for a season opening neutral site game) when they are 6-6 when we could play a big name team in Atlanta or Arlington is beyond me!!

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
As you can see below the Nevada Dental Association usually just recognizes the teams with the best record as National Champions. All of their previous winners are listed in this photo. While Bama has won 5 National Titles under Saban, Bama has only been recognized by them twice and one of those was co-champions with Boise State.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.