Worst SEC Fan Base???

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
I nominate four teams, for different reasons...

Tennessee – The Vol fans who jumped on the bandwagon during the Manning years are the very worst. Many of them have hopped off the train over the past several years, but they are the absolute worst: no football IQ, arrogant, rude, etc.

Mississippi State – Talk about a group with a collective chip on their shoulders. Every time I’ve gone to game there, the folks are just bitter. At least the success of Freeze-era Ole Miss and their hatred of it has redirected even more of their emotion away from us.

LSU – There is simply no in-between with LSU. They’re either good, friendly, hospitable people who enjoy everything college football is about, or they are 100% jerks. And LSU jerks are an entirely different league than the jerks in other SEC fanbases.

Auburn – You’d be hard-pressed to find a group of people less equipped to handle losing or adversity. And they probably win the prize for the most hypocritical fanbase…eager to point out cheating everyplace else. And they are trot out the “All-in/Fambly/Together As One” baloney when they’re winning and turn against one another quicker than an instant when they lose.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN

Tennessee – The Vol fans who jumped on the bandwagon during the Manning years are the very worst. Many of them have hopped off the train over the past several years, but they are the absolute worst: no football IQ, arrogant, rude, etc.

Mississippi State – Talk about a group with a collective chip on their shoulders. Every time I’ve gone to game there, the folks are just bitter. At least the success of Freeze-era Ole Miss and their hatred of it has redirected even more of their emotion away from us.

LSU – There is simply no in-between with LSU. They’re either good, friendly, hospitable people who enjoy everything college is about, or they are 100% jerks. And LSU jerks are an entirely different league than the jerks in other SEC fanbases.

Auburn – You’d be hard-pressed to find a group of people less equipped to handle losing or adversity. And they probably win the prize for the most hypocritical fanbase…eager to point out cheating everyplace else. And they are trot out the “All-in/Fambly/Together As One” baloney when they’re winning and turn against one another quicker than an instant when they lose.

I'd replace Miss St with Ole Mi$$

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Most fans of each team are level-headed enough to have a good time around. Seems each fanbase is always stereotyped by its outliers, but having said that... LSU... hands down imo. The worst of their base are the worst of the SEC.
This ^^

FWIW, I guess I sort of group fans in tiers: LSux, aub and UcheaT being in the bottom tier of very worst fans, Year-in, Year-out. Tinnersee has been down for a long time now, so their fans are mostly quiet these days, which makes it tempting to move UcheaT out of this worst group, but that would be a mistake. Just let them win a game against us, and see how sweet they are....

In the next tier, I include UGa (Sorry, just being honest) and that's only because we don't play Georgia very often. If we did, they'd easily be in the bottom Tier. Also in this group is Florida, along with any team that is "hot" at the moment. For example - Old Mess has been in this second tier lately, but probably won't be next year. USCe was here during Spurrier's brief "heyday", as was Arkie at the peak of Petrino's tenure. MSU was in this tier a few years ago, and likely would be here permanently had they won the bidding war for $Cam KNEWton back in 2010. ;)

In the Top Tier of the least obnoxious fans, we find the rest of the SEC.

Why so down on UGa? - to be honest, its mostly first hand experience, and the experiences of people I know.

For example, I had a kid in the Million Dollar Band back in the dark days of our probation - 2003. UA traveled to UGa that year, in a game that we had virtually NO CHANCE of winning, against a team that we honestly have no standing rivalry with. And yet, UGa fans were uniformly rude and nasty toward the kids in our BAND.
Why?
I can get yelling "smack" at the team (its rude, but I get why people do it), but why be ugly to the kids in the band? I've had kids in MDB off and on from 2003 to 2016, and the ONLY time I've ever heard of our band being pelted with ROCKS (yes, literally) at any game was the 2003 game at Athens.

Another example - few years prior to the above, some good friends who are alums of Southern Miss followed their team to a game at UGa. Again, not in any sense an established "rival" and a game the visiting team had virtually no chance of winning. And yet, to a man all these people I knew reported being treated horribly by UGa fans. Why?

Its stuff like that, along with similar personal experiences, that prevent me from being a fan, or even having much nice to say, about UGa fans.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama

LSU – There is simply no in-between with LSU. They’re either good, friendly, hospitable people who enjoy everything college football is about, or they are 100% jerks. And LSU jerks are an entirely different league than the jerks in other SEC fanbases.

With aubarn, IMO its a case of the 90% of fans who are delusional jerks ruining it for the 10% who are actually nice enough folks. ;)

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I do think, though, that if you took a poll like this at every SEC fan board, we would be the winners.
Dang, you posted what I was thinking.

Over the Bryant years, rivals complained about how arrogant and entitled Bama fans generally are. I have to admit I encouraged the sentiment, as I expected Bama to win every game we played.
So, here we are after ten years of the Saban streak, and guess what, we may have gotten more and not less hard to put up with. :biggrin:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Auburn - For my life and many personal interactions AU fans are the WORST by far. Most simply CAN NOT win with ANY type of class whatsoever. If they have the chance to 'thumb you in the eye' with words and cute little catchphrases and slogans they will. They are trash-talkers through and through.

I've told this before but when I was a kid I always kept my mouth shut if Alabama won the Iron Bowl unless I said a sportsmanlike 'good game' etc. But when I was 15 in '93 and Alabama's Unbeaten/Untied 31 game streak ended in a 17-13 loss to LSU....again LSU beat us not Auburn....I had an Auburn fan run up to me in the hallway at HS screaming in my face and taunting with an LSU Pennant waving around....

I knocked his freaking lights out.... got sentenced to 'Saturday School' and it was worth it.

Then they were just unbearable from 2002-2007..... I had a job dealing with the public then (Worked at a Bank) and it was all I could do to not get fired with AU fans sticking 4,5 and 6 fingers in my face on Monday's. Keep in mind I never said anything to provoke them.

They are just the worst man....THE WORST.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
I have to say Tennessee. Just look at what happened to Schiano because of their whiny selves.

I do think, though, that if you took a poll like this at every SEC fan board, we would be the winners.
That's because everyone in the SEC is jealous of Bama. Just keeping it real. When I tell other SEC fans that I pull for Bama they look at me like I'm crazy.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
SEC: AU/LSU just for non stop whining

OOC: FSU and it isn't close. They were bad in a nouveau riche sort of way. After the Jameis fiasco, those colors make me sick. I'm so glad we derailed their season before it got going.
On the OOC side, I have to disagree with you on that one. OMG OSU fans are scraping cess from the pit of doom! They want to be known as "The" Ohio State.... really, are you kidding me! Not only are they arrogant, but pathetically booooring people.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
1. Tennessee
2. Tennessee - and I’m feeling a little sick now.
3. Tennessee. Don’t bring it up again. I’m trying to enjoy this championship.

Ditto here for me!
SEC: AU/LSU just for non stop whining

OOC: FSU and it isn't close. They were bad in a nouveau riche sort of way. After the Jameis fiasco, those colors make me sick. I'm so glad we derailed their season before it got going.
Honorable mention here are Georgia and Ohio State fans. I can live with them living in another state.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Given that I've been to games at nearly all the SEC locations, I'll speak only to what I know is true: UGA is the ONLY place where I have been physically threatened just for walking across campus on gameday with an Bama shirt on. So, my vote is UGA. It was the blackout game...before AND after the game. Living in GA for most of last 15 years makes Monday's win even sweeter. I like my Dawg friends but we don't really talk too much football (even before this game) because they generally can't handle it.

When I lived in NYC, sometimes game viewing would overlap with other schools in the same sports bar. LSU and UF were far beyond vulgar and abrasive compared with everyone else we dealt with.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It might depend on where you live and who you deal with regularly.

But in actual interactions I'd have to say LSU. In 2012 in NOLA I've never seen such arrogance and disrespect before the game.

It honestly made winning that game so much sweeter seeing how they acted before. The Super Dome was all Crimson by the time TR ran the only TD in of the game.

I've compared the LSU fans after the game to rats who were running to the gutter.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I live in Georgia and deal with UGA fans on a regular basis, so my vote goes to UGA. They just barely beat out auburn fans. As an architect I deal with a lot of auburn grads.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Speaking of the other SEC schools, I wonder how many of their coaches had to change their drawers when they started to understand how this changes things when it comes to preparing for us next year???

Poor Kirby and Pruitt had a front row seat.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.