Worst SEC Fan Base???

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I had a dog that would occasionally get, excuse me, an impacted anal gland. The vet would apply pressure with his hands to give the dog relief. One day, he asked me if I wanted him to show me how to massage the area correctly to save a trip in to the clinic. We had known each other from high school, old friends, so I took great pleasure in telling him I was not interested in learning how to do that, it was the perfect for job for an Auburn graduate.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I live in Georgia and deal with UGA fans on a regular basis, so my vote goes to UGA. They just barely beat out auburn fans. As an architect I deal with a lot of auburn grads.

It’s good the two teams do not play each other regularly. Dawg fans go out of their way to Harass me at work. If the teams play and Bama wins , like they usually do, I get some stupid personal attack or stereotypical comment about teeth or run down mobile homes or something. A Georgia fan texted me a pictture of Bozeman proposing to his girlfriend. With the caption- look, another Bama player marrying his sister. CLASSLESS.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I still remember when the UGA fans trashed our campus. Plus, living in GA makes me want to put them on the list.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Gotta tell ya Dawg that that Kiss contingent of your fanbase barking around like Oakland Raiders spectators is the creepiest thing going in the SEC to me.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
It might depend on where you live and who you deal with regularly.

But in actual interactions I'd have to say LSU. In 2012 in NOLA I've never seen such arrogance and disrespect before the game.

It honestly made winning that game so much sweeter seeing how they acted before. The Super Dome was all Crimson by the time TR ran the only TD in of the game.

I've compared the LSU fans after the game to rats who were running to the gutter.
I think it's location and TIMING as well. LSU fans use to be very fun to be around before we 'stole' CNS. I went to 3 games in Baton Rouge in the early-mid 90's in High School and they were awesome back then. You could barely walk 10 yards without people inviting you to join their tailgate party....and boy do they know how to tailgate!!

But us 'taking' their coach and ending their run of National relevance just broke their minds. I mean some have almost legit just gone crazy now. I would not dare go to a BR game in full Alabama gear now from recent stories I've heard.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
For me, personally, it is LSWho followed closely by MS State. The who's whine more than anybody and state fans chirp too much for a school that hasn't won anything. In any sport.
I lived in Baton Rouge for a short time when I was a kid.
My vote is:
LSU (Hands down) But... LSU also has some of the nicest most accommodating fans ever...
MSU (It's the Auburn attitude with a million Cow Bells...)
AU
GA
OLE SIS
TN

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
The hatred from Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss and Tennessee ... that stuff I get. It’s almost organic.

WHAT I don’t get is Georgia. We hardly play them. Sorry Dawgbyte, but given UGA’s built-in advantages, the team has accomplished very little. Yet the arrogance and boorishness of at least a portion of its fan base is astounding.

Besides, what form of self-loathing does it take to regularly trash your own campus and buildings on game day, not to mention what they did in Tuscaloosa when they last came to town. Everywhere Dawgs go, they leave a mess.

It's Georgia. And I still don’t understand.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The hatred from Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss and Tennessee ... that stuff I get. It’s almost organic.

WHAT I don’t get is Georgia. We hardly play them. Sorry Dawgbyte, but given UGA’s built-in advantages, the team has accomplished very little. Yet the arrogance and boorishness of at least a portion of its fan base is astounding.

Besides, what form of self-loathing does it take to regularly trash your own campus and buildings on game day, not to mention what they did in Tuscaloosa when they last came to town. Everywhere they go, they leave a mess.

Georgia. And I still don’t understand.
Probably originally, Atlanta's historic hatred of Bama born out of jealousy from the 20s. Then the competition between Atlanta and B'ham until the late 60s, when Atlanta left Bham in the dust. The GT vs Bama/Bryant rivalry with the Darwin Holt incident. Furman Bisher/Sat Even Post vs Bryant. That's the back drop. Now it's just contempt for the state with the accompanying desire to distance itself from the "Old South", Atlanta's AU contingent and UGA's semi-delusional view of itself vs what Bama is.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Speaking of the other SEC schools, I wonder how many of their coaches had to change their drawers when they started to understand how this changes things when it comes to preparing for us next year???

Poor Kirby and Pruitt had a front row seat.
That's a good observation and a front page article on AJC's DawgNation page. I can't speak for Tenn., but in Georgia's case I think there's three areas of weakness that need to be addressed.

1. DB's - Georgia has been notoriously weak in recruiting top tier DB's. I'm hoping we can land Campbell and perhaps Taylor-Stuart to help add some much needed talent.
2. OL - In the first half I thought our OL did a good job against Bama's defensive front, but as the game wore on and Chaney went conservative with his play calling, Bama was able to turn up the heat and our OL couldn't handle the pressure. Help is on the way. Pittman has done an unbelievable job of recruiting the last two years.
3. Interior defensive line - We need more size and strength in the interior.

Over the weekend Chris Fowler brought Saban and Smart together for an interesting joint interview. Both men are very impressive and have a clear understanding of what it means to be a leader. If I was to categorize the single greatest difference between the two coaches it would be 'wisdom'. Saban has so much experience with his proven system and knows exactly where to pinpoint his focus. He's a master at messaging and preparation. I think one of the reason's why Kirby and Nick are so close is because Smart is just like Nick. It's like Kirby could be Nick's son. Ironically, Kirby is the son of a successful High School football coach, so it's in his DNA and Nick loves that about him.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
I had a dog that would occasionally get, excuse me, an impacted anal gland. The vet would apply pressure with his hands to give the dog relief. One day, he asked me if I wanted him to show me how to massage the area correctly to save a trip in to the clinic. We had known each other from high school, old friends, so I took great pleasure in telling him I was not interested in learning how to do that, it was the perfect for job for an Auburn graduate.
OMG that's classic... candidate for Post of the Year - 2018! LOL!!! :)

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017

Besides, what form of self-loathing does it take to regularly trash your own campus and buildings on game day, not to mention what they did in Tuscaloosa when they last came to town. Everywhere they go, they leave a mess.

Georgia. And I still don’t understand.
I think the trashing of our own campus is a bit overblown. It happened one season and was primarily the result of restrictive rules changes by the administration regarding tailgating. After that season the administration made a mistake and we haven't had any issues since. Trashing other campus' is clearly a bridge too far. Shame on us!

I'm not a native Georgian (born in California), so I understand why some people scratch their head at things our fan base does on a regular basis. Here are a few things that drive me nuts about Georgia fans:

1. Showing up LATE to games!!! I just don't understand it. You know what time the game starts, you've made the financial investment, you can't tell me that planning to get some place on time is that difficult. This is unique to Georgians too. They do this for every single event they attend, including concerts, plays, Falcons, Braves and Hawks games. It's truly insane.
2. Leaving games EARLY!!! This is another one that baffles me. How much did you pay for those tickets and you're willing to leave 15 minutes early? Why bother to come. I think it's disrespectful to the players and coaches. I never arrive late and always stay until the final whistle regardless of how many points we're ahead or who we're playing.
3. Lack of enthusiasm during the game. This is starting to change, but the old guard Georgia fan actually doesn't like it if you yell really loud. Very bizarre indeed.
4. Delusion. There is a core group of Georgia fans that have never set foot on campus that really give us a bad reputation. They're the one's who don't know squat about football and think we should win the national championship every year regardless of the situation. Now this delusion is not even in the same league as Vol fans, but nevertheless it is a source of irritation.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Let's look at it from a neutral observer's POV.

EVERYONE, and I mean everyone, that I know who lives in Atlanta, with no ties to UGA, can not stand the Athens ankle-biters.

There has to be a reason.

(And just like the team that thought "Hey, gee, let's steal the colors from that team up in Athens, for our new franchise....................that will get things going".....................must be in the DNA, as neither have amounted to much in that time span. Other than find ways to lose in the most "Atlanta" way possible.) :biggrin2:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.