How one pass significantly changed college football history and its future trajectory

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The thing that makes this win so amazing is that this Alabama team was very flawed. The offensive line was good but not dominant, the Quarterbacking was substandard except for the last 30 minutes, the run game was not nearly as dominant as we sort of got used to. The defense was going to be special and then was cut to ribbons by injuries. Alabama not only had to put backups in every week for injured players, it was almost to the point of having to do so every quarter of every game down the stretch. Basically they had a great year in the defensive backfield and the running backs stayed healthy for the most part. Aside from that it was a mess.

AND THEY STILL WON THE NATIONAL TITLE
Nick Saban = Best of All Time

What's cool about that video, once the ball is released....time stands still for the oline....they immediately release their blocks and watch the ball sail through the air....to be in that moment...man oh man
Just pure craziness how it looks.
I hadn't noticed until now that the catch was made smack dead center of the Georgia banner. And..watch how Tua looks to his right the entire time until he's ready to fire.

:)
You can't write that.

Watch number 82 downfield on the left. He slowed down when he saw that the pass was going over his head. Just before the loops cuts off at the end, you can see him start to sprint to the celebration.
I would have been sprinting even before he caught it to be honest.

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
There's one thing we shouldn't allow to go unnoticed or unaccredited when talking about the pass:

It was also a fantastic catch. It was thrown slightly ahead of him and he had to adjust forward a bit to snag it.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Something I forgot to mention was Bama's image if they had not made the change. It would have been one of a declining power, of a program in disarray, having lost its poise and discipline (the thuggish behavior was embarrassing and so uncharacteristic) and one with an ugly, stodgy, albatross of an offense. Since the beginning of the LSU game, for the most part Bama fans dreaded when the O came on the field. Even when there was success, it seemed disjointed, playground like and just unattractive - just not fun to watch. Now all of that has changed. Most importantly it dramatically raises the effectiveness of all aspects of the offense, including the running game, it also gives hope to the defense and is a blast to watch.

Even if Bama was going to successfully change, the image would have been in need of repair. It would have given the "dynasty is dead" purveyors plenty of ammo, some of it legitimate. The repair would have taken some time, assuming it came to pass.

Last edited:

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
Something I forgot to mention was Bama's image if they had not made the change. It would have been one of a declining power, of a program in disarray, having lost its poise and discipline (the thuggish behavior was embarrassing and so uncharacteristic) and one with an ugly, stodgy, albatross of an offense. Since the beginning of the LSU game, for the most part Bama fans dreaded when the O came on the field. Even when there was success, it seemed disjointed, playground like and just unattractive - just not fun to watch. Now all of that has changed. Most importantly it dramatically raises the effectiveness of all aspects of the offense,
including the running game, it also
gives hope to the defense and is a blast to watch.

Even if Bama was going to successfully change, the image would have been in need of repair. It would have given the "dynasty is dead" purveyors plenty of ammo, some of it legitimate. The repair would have taken some time, assuming it came to pass.
Both your posts hit the nail on the damn head. I've been a Bama fan since the mid-70s, and while I want to let the thought ferment for a bit, I'm inclined to say that this is the most significant win in that entire period, for all the reasons you cite. the Penn State goal line stand and the win over Texas are the only other two that are in the ballpark.

Three other stray thoughts: 1. Jeudy was the most wide open player downfield on the final play, and it would have been a much easier throw, probably enough for a first down or at worst a third and short. The fact that Tua looked right at Jeudy, then went with Smith instead confirms for me that he was planning to go that way all along. That throw only works if it is a perfect 50 yard rope, which it was. I can only think of a handful of Bama quarterbacks from the past that could have made that throw. (Namath, Stabler, maybe Hunter, McCarron or Croyle). Speaks volumes about Tua's trust in his arm.

2. The antics of No. 48 were concerning. I'm also troubled that he was sent back on the field after his infantile tantrum. I trust in Saban to see that he gets appropriate internal discipline. If we had lost that would have fed all of the negative narratives that you mentioned. As it stands, this was a blot on an otherwise magical game. I hope we don't see a repeat of such behavior again from any of our players.

3. I sort of think of Tua as Blake Sims 2.0. I mean that in the most positive way. A bit short of stature like Blake, just as elusive, but with an even deadlier arm and a better pocket presence.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Something I forgot to mention was Bama's image if they had not made the change. It would have been one of a declining power, of a program in disarray, having lost its poise and discipline (the thuggish behavior was embarrassing and so uncharacteristic) and one with an ugly, stodgy, albatross of an offense. Since the beginning of the LSU game, for the most part Bama fans dreaded when the O came on the field. Even when there was success, it seemed disjointed, playground like and just unattractive - just not fun to watch. Now all of that has changed. Most importantly it dramatically raises the effectiveness of all aspects of the offense,
including the running game, it also
gives hope to the defense and is a blast to watch.

Great points. It was getting hard to watch the games because the offense looked so bad. Some of the season was very frustrating except for the blowouts when the young players were playing.

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA
It shut the door on the direction of the program's offense and its leader. The value of this can't be overstated. If this had not happened, the light and airy feeling that coaches, players and coaches now are feeling would be replaced with the disappointment of wasting another NC opportunity, of wasting current offensive talent, of losing future offensive talent, and ultimately losing defensive talent because of a tangible decline in the program. This program will now have a spring in its step, rather than a 500 lb weight on its back.
I had not thought about this until now. Scary to imagine how much lower the optimism about the future of the program would have been had things not panned out like they had.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Looking over this, he was going to let that fly regardless. It was look off look off look off and turn and throw. That has to take guts and talent in total harmony. WOW
Posted this in another thread, but what's crazy to consider is that we had 5 guys out on routes there and 4 of them were open. Tua could have made each of the other 4 throws but he makes the winning, walkoff TD throw for the NC look like he's taking a Sunday drive.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Looking over this, he was going to let that fly regardless. It was look off look off look off and turn and throw. That has to take guts and talent in total harmony. WOW
Watch #70 Leatherwood - a true freshman - just stone the pass rush of Bellamy. Incredible job by Leatherwood that hasn't been talked about enough..

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I haven't seen a clip that you could really see his eyes. My money says that while his head and shoulders "looked" the Safety off, his eyes were laser focused on Smith from the snap
I think he pretty much stared down the safety, the throw and vision we're instant. He says in his interviews he kept looking at the safety and when the safety drifted far from the hash....he let it go. It's possible he got a short glimpse of Smith but I think the kid just knew ....

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I haven't seen a clip that you could really see his eyes. My money says that while his head and shoulders "looked" the Safety off, his eyes were laser focused on Smith from the snap
I think you'd lose your money. He didn't turn his head to Devonta until a split second before he threw it. By looking at the safety he didn't have to look at Devonta until he got ready to sling it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.