How one pass significantly changed college football history and its future trajectory

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Looking over this, he was going to let that fly regardless. It was look off look off look off and turn and throw. That has to take guts and talent in total harmony. WOW

watching it again in slo mo, I noticed D. Harris snuck out and was open in the middle. with his speed and elusiveness he could have done some damage. at least put us in fg range with 3rd down coming up .

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I think you'd lose your money. He didn't turn his head to Devonta until a split second before he threw it. By looking at the safety he didn't have to look at Devonta until he got ready to sling it.
Eyes operate independently from the head. The whole idea of looking off a defender is to be actually looking somewhere other than where you seem to be looking (where your head is facing). You don't "just know" somebody is open where you aren't looking. You look for open guys all over but don't reveal where you are looking by turning your head that way.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Eyes operate independently from the head. The whole idea of looking off a defender is to be actually looking somewhere other than where you seem to be looking (where your head is facing). You don't "just know" somebody is open where you aren't looking. You look for open guys all over but don't reveal where you are looking by turning your head that way.
It's peripheral vision. Everybody in the world could see the 2 high safety look. As Tua is looking to the right he could still see (peripherally) the safety on the left drifting towards the middle of the field. Therefore, he knows nobody is over the top of Smitty. In summary, yes, Tua knows Smitty is wide open without looking because the left side safety is on the hash..

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
It's peripheral vision. Everybody in the world could see the 2 high safety look. As Tua is looking to the right he could still see (peripherally) the safety on the left drifting towards the middle of the field. Therefore, he knows nobody is over the top of Smitty. In summary, yes, Tua knows Smitty is wide open without looking because the left side safety is on the hash..
I think this is an accurate analysis on the play, and the peripheral vision part is true. The interview and video clip pretty much tell the story.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
If you substitute Ruggs for Ridley, how many times do you think Tua has practiced that play with Smith and Jeudy. That's the type of play every QB/WR dreams of completing to win a championship. It's like dreaming of hitting the 3-Pt buzzer beater or being down 3 bases loaded and hitting the walk off grand slam

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Yeah but he doesn't know for sure if Smith beat the corner, or that the corner had given up on the play. If he doesn't at least glance over there to confirm what he thinks might be true, then he's taking a risk he should not. You literally cannot look straight ahead the entire time and expect your peripheral vision to take in the detail required to make good decisions, and it would be a weird way to play football. Your eyes are going to moving quickly from place to place to see clearly what is going on in different places.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah but he doesn't know for sure if Smith beat the corner, or that the corner had given up on the play. If he doesn't at least glance over there to confirm what he thinks might be true, then he's taking a risk he should not. You literally cannot look straight ahead the entire time and expect your peripheral vision to take in the detail required to make good decisions, and it would be a weird way to play football. Your eyes are going to moving quickly from place to place to see clearly what is going on in different places.
14 had been getting abused all night, i'm sure tua was just expecting more of the same ;)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Yes he does because it's zone coverage. The corner does not have deep responsibility on that play. Tua looked off the safety who was the only defender responsible for the deep part of the field on the left side. Once he saw the safety out of position he knew he could throw it. I'm not sure what you mean "take in the detail required" because on this play there was only 1 defender he was concerned about and that's the safety who was out of position. This is not a weird way to play football. NFL QBs manipulate linebackers and safeties with their eyes all the time. I'm really not sure what point you're trying to argue.

That's a good point, but I'd be really upset if he threw into coverage with so many open guys :D
He threw it to the guy who was the most open..

cooleddie

1st Team
Jul 27, 2003
pensacola,fl
I noticed the same thing. He looked like a veteran using just one arm and allowing the rushers momentum to steer him away. I really thought it was over when Jonah Williams went down. Leatherwood stepped up like a boss. Heck, they all did.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Yes he does because it's zone coverage. The corner does not have deep responsibility on that play. Tua looked off the safety who was the only defender responsible for the deep part of the field on the left side. Once he saw the safety out of position he knew he could throw it. I'm not sure what you mean "take in the detail required" because on this play there was only 1 defender he was concerned about and that's the safety who was out of position. This is not a weird way to play football. NFL QBs manipulate linebackers and safeties with their eyes all the time. I'm really not sure what point you're trying to argue.

He threw it to the guy who was the most open..
You are misunderstanding me. I wasn't referring to looking off the safety as being a weird way to play football.
I was specifically referring to the idea of taking in everything with peripheral vision ONLY, as opposed to scanning the field.
I'm not disputing that QB's manipulate defenders, because they do. But their cognition is not necessarily locked into the direction their head is turned.
Also, I sincerely doubt safeties actually see the QB's actual eyes, as opposed to the direction their helmet faces.

Here's what it looks like to me.

1) The playcall has multiple deep routes and Tua knows where they are all going.
2) Tua sees the safety inside the left hash mark, and expects an opportunity on the left in the deep part of the field.
3) Post snap, Tua is looking right, making sure the safety is staying in the middle of the field where he can't help deep left. He also sees in his peripheral vision the WR and CB going deep left . Maybe he even sees that Smith has beaten his man this way. I doubted this at first, but I now accept that it is possible. These guys get a lot of practice and know what it looks like.
4) Tua turns his head, his vision, and attention, toward the left, giving him a chance to confirm what he may have seen earlier, and throws the pass on target. This accuracy would not be feasible with peripheral vision only. If the corner had stayed with Smith, or had forced him out of bounds, or some other thing like that, I don't think Tua throws the ball there, and I don't think he throws left without at least looking left first.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Tua's head clearly snaps left a split second before he throws it. He knew what the rest of the defense was doing and he snapped his head to confirm it and then rip the most beautiful pass I have ever seen. I heard the Titanic music in the background as he let it go. Celine Deion was belting out notes and I was running around my house like a crazy person.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.