NFL insider Ian Rapoport says Brian Daboll could return to NFL as an OC (Update: Hired by Buffalo)

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Re: NFL insider Ian Rapoport says Brian Daboll could return to NFL as an OC

Key word there is could.
A lot of speculation . . . as mentioned above, could . . . a reporter mouthing off without asking Saban or Daboll for comment reaction because they would bat the rumor away. . . who supposedly has him on their radar . . . guess he needed to fill some air time and this was the best he could come up with on short notice.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN

Stay or go this year, I always felt this was a stepping stone job for Dabol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Some are thinking that Dunbar is entertaining a move to the NFL and Taggart at FSU could be pursuing Locksley.

We could be replacing about half our staff before all is said and done.

I don’t like it but it is what comes with being the premier program in college football.
I have no issue with new blood b/c recruiting was suffering. Dunbar is a solid position coach, think we can find an equal teacher that is a solid recruiter. I’d hope Mike stays now that he got what he wants with the QB. His WR are gonna make him look good. Now, if Tagart takes him as OC, I understand you don’t say no.

I’m hoping the staff ends up:

DL - to be hired stud recruiter/coach
Co DC/(play caller) OLB Lupoi
ILB - to be hired great recruiter
DB co-DC - Pete
OL - Torn b/c Key is highly regarded but they have not shown what they can do consistently. **
RB - Burns
WR - Locksley
OC/TE Daboll
QB Chris Weinke** keep him from UT. Working with Tua will make him look good!
ST (10th coach) Go find a dang collegiate soccer coach and pay him $1MM+

**In regards to Key. After seeing Leatherwood Monday night maybe part of the issue is the best 5 didn’t play all year. Maybe the best 5 ends up L-R as Leatherwood, Piersbacher, Williams, Womack, Wills.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

Mike Shula is available.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

A lot of speculation . . . as mentioned above, could . . . a reporter mouthing off without asking Saban or Daboll for comment reaction because they would bat the rumor away. . . who supposedly has him on their radar . . . guess he needed to fill some air time and this was the best he could come up with on short notice.
There was a few reporters also saying Sark was going to leave the Falcons and go to Seattle to be OC there. Reporters say lots of things.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I was rough on him this season but towards the end I had changed my tune. I realized that he was playing with his hands tied in the passing game. Any time Tua got into the game with the 1s, the offense looked completely different and that is likely the offense he wants to run and I think it looks sound. What we ran most of the season was a bad spread option offense that didn't want to accept that it was a spread option offense. It put up numbers on those who couldn't repel a Pop Warner team's assault towards the goal line but it quite literally struggled to score on just about any top half of the FBS defense.

At this juncture I'd hate to see him go because I think next season he will get to call a game with his hands untied. Either Jalen makes a huge leap and wins the job back or Tua takes the reins.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Re: NFL insider Ian Rapoport says Brian Daboll could return to NFL as an offensive co

Man, I'd really like to see him stay for some consistency, and I think he's done a great job this year.

Assuming Tua gets the nod next year, the offense will be incredible.
If Tua is the Man next year, he's gonna benefit from having Daboll as the OC. More of the playbook will be opened and our Offense will be less predictable than if Jalen gets the call.
I hope Daboll hangs around a couple of years.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: NFL insider Ian Rapoport says Brian Daboll could return to NFL as an offensive co

A few weeks ago, I would not have been sad to see him go. Today, this bums me out. I hope he stays.
It would be kind of ironic to lose an OC after his offense finally had the quarterback for it. I'm still not sure Daboll would be the right long-term solution, but for the foreseeable future he seems to have the right QB to do what he wanted to do.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I'd like him to stay for the sake of continuity and development of the players. But if he leaves after one year to be an OC anywhere else other than NE, SEA, and a few select teams then I say good riddance.

The coaching profession is a ladder, okay, got it. This is the OC position at the preeminent CFB dynasty of all time - not a temporary stepping stone to merely improve one's status.
Fify

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I would love to see Daboll stay because the play calling in the second half of that game was amazing and I would love to see a whole season of that with Tua. That said, I have learned that Saban can win with just about anyone. With these offensive players, it would be pretty hard to mess up.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Just can`t help but salivate over what the threat to go over the top that Tua could present would do for the running game. We might have just seen the last of a loaded box for a while.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

I'd like him to stay for the sake of continuity and development of the players. But if he leaves after one year to be an OC anywhere else other than NE, SEA, and a few select teams then I say good riddance.

The coaching profession is a ladder, okay, got it. This is the OC position at the preeminent CFB dynasty of the last 50 years - not a temporary stepping stone to merely improve one's status.
I would love to see him back with a clean slate next year and see what he can do with a balanced passing and rushing attack but it all depends on how much passion he has for the NFL. He's been in the NFL for a while , I don't think hes using this position as a stepping stone . Some guys love the NFL and some love college. They don't view this position the same as we do. If he had been an OC in the NFL, I'm sure he would never have left which is why I think if he gets that chance, he may very well take it. IMO

crimsonman38

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2003
Holly Pond, AL

We should be thankful for this move. He has taken the number 1 offense in the NFL and made them look horrible.

I AM TALKIMG THE SARK MOVE

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek

I would love to see Daboll stay because the play calling in the second half of that game was amazing and I would love to see a whole season of that with Tua. That said, I have learned that Saban can win with just about anyone. With these offensive players, it would be pretty hard to mess up.
Idk? It was pretty messed up the last quarter of the season. Tua showed what would happen when the ball was disbursed across the field. All that talent is useless if the qb is gonna lock on 1 receiver and bail if not open on first glance. Jmho of course.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I expected Saban to “ allow” Daboll to find another job. He didn’t really do much to help Jalen improve throughout the year. Jalen should have shown more improvement and the offense in general was stale and didn’t perform up to potential. I’m really hoping coach Jim McElwain comes back. I was sort of expecting an announcement earlier about maybe joining as a offensive consultant before the playoffs.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005

I feel like the offense hasn't really been as dominant since McElwain left. I think Saban began to doubt his philosophy after we lost to Ohio State a few years ago, brought in Kiffin and started recruiting multi-threat QBs. Jalen would have probably been great in a Kiffin offense based on RPO's and short throws -- and he was last year. When the opposing defense takes your running game away and you can't sling it downfield, you're done. What Daboll is going to run isn't really suited for Jalen's skillset. Jalen is a great talent, but not well suited for a traditional ball control offense. Or maybe I'm wrong about all of that. :tongue:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

If he leaves, go get June Jones from the CFL and let him loose with TT and our offensive athletes. We would have to get a scoreboard that goes to 3 digits...

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

I expected Saban to “ allow” Daboll to find another job. He didn’t really do much to help Jalen improve throughout the year. Jalen should have shown more improvement and the offense in general was stale and didn’t perform up to potential. I’m really hoping coach Jim McElwain comes back. I was sort of expecting an announcement earlier about maybe joining as a offensive consultant before the playoffs.
I don't think we can pin Jalens development or lack of on Daboll. There are things you can teach and things you can't. Ultimately it's up to the player to decide the extent of improvement or development he's going to make. We saw similar instances last year under Kiffin as well. You can teach fundamentals and basics but you can't teach instinct and intangibles.....if this was Jalens freshman year then that would be different but it's the end of his sophomore year and I think at that point , it's fair to consider the level of development that player may or may not make. Personally, I feel Daboll did the best with what he had.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.