NFL insider Ian Rapoport says Brian Daboll could return to NFL as an OC (Update: Hired by Buffalo)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: NFL insider Ian Rapoport says Brian Daboll could return to NFL as an OC

I expected Saban to “ allow” Daboll to find another job. He didn’t really do much to help Jalen improve throughout the year. Jalen should have shown more improvement and the offense in general was stale and didn’t perform up to potential.
So who was coaching Tua, then?

I’m really hoping coach Jim McElwain comes back.
Holy crap, please tell me you're joking. Did you see his offense at UF? Modern offenses have left CJM behind...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I expected Saban to “ allow” Daboll to find another job. He didn’t really do much to help Jalen improve throughout the year. Jalen should have shown more improvement and the offense in general was stale and didn’t perform up to potential. I’m really hoping coach Jim McElwain comes back. I was sort of expecting an announcement earlier about maybe joining as a offensive consultant before the playoffs.
Pretty much disagree with all of this.

I feel like the offense hasn't really been as dominant since McElwain left. I think Saban began to doubt his philosophy after we lost to Ohio State a few years ago, brought in Kiffin and started recruiting multi-threat QBs. Jalen would have probably been great in a Kiffin offense based on RPO's and short throws -- and he was last year. When the opposing defense takes your running game away and you can't sling it downfield, you're done. What Daboll is going to run isn't really suited for Jalen's skillset. Jalen is a great talent, but not well suited for a traditional ball control offense. Or maybe I'm wrong about all of that. :tongue:
Nah, you right bro!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

So, is there anything to this story or is it fake news yet again?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

The one thing that occurred to me though, is if Daboll did leave, that might be the only thing that opens the window for any sort of real quarterback battle. With Daboll, it became just abundantly clear that it wasn't going to work for Hurts at this stage in his development, and that Tua (at least for the latter part of the year) could run it better. I could see nothing changing that. Hurts worst game of the year was against Georgia, it was hard to imagine Hurts turning the corner in the Daboll offense anytime soon.

Watching Tua execute Daboll's offense, it seemed clear that this was the sort of thing his offense was intended for. So, the future looks bright, even if Daboll isn't a great college OC, his offense has a great quarterback to run it. The problem is Tua is still developing, I don't want to see his development unsettled as he adjusts to another offense, when he seemed to have started to master this one. I still think he's the guy, but with a new OC it would open up the possibility for both Tua to take a step back and Hurts to take a step forward. I'd prefer to avoid that, some continuity for a young quarterback is a good thing.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I've been trying to debate whether Daboll was a good fit for this year. I think he did lot of good thing for the offense, and we saw lot of stuff that we hadn't seen in long time and it would be nice if he came back for second year, if he can really help the development of the QB. I don't think Daboll did real good job of developing Jalen, but that's just me. If he leaves, I wouldn't be mad either.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The problem with Jalen Hurts and Daboll was the institutional insistence that we weren't an option offense with Hurts which turned us into a pretty crappy option offense against teams with some athletes on defenses. Not even great defenses, we struggled to score consistently against TAMU. My beef with Daboll was that he didn't go to single read passing to manipulate pass game effectiveness as Kiffin did in 2016. If we were gonna be the standard balanced pro spread with a few QB runs and RPOs then we ought to have made the change earlier but ultimately that was Saban's call not Daboll's.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

The problem with Jalen Hurts and Daboll was the institutional insistence that we weren't an option offense with Hurts which turned us into a pretty crappy option offense against teams with some athletes on defenses. Not even great defenses, we struggled to score consistently against TAMU. My beef with Daboll was that he didn't go to single read passing to manipulate pass game effectiveness as Kiffin did in 2016. If we were gonna be the standard balanced pro spread with a few QB runs and RPOs then we ought to have made the change earlier but ultimately that was Saban's call not Daboll's.
I think with all of the talent on offense, along with the defense regularly bailing the offense out, that if Lane Kiffin were the OF we could have won a championship with Hurts or Tua at QB. That is what separates a good OC and a great one. Daboll may go down in history as the first OC for Alabama to get a 3peat but I think it will be more because of Alabama's talent than his coordinating.

AlabasterBama

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2006
Alabaster, Alabama

I think Saban began to doubt his philosophy after we lost to Ohio State a few years ago, brought in Kiffin and started recruiting multi-threat QBs.
Kiffin was already the OC when Bama lost in the sugar bowl to OSU.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Being one of Saban's assistants is such a valuable thing to be able to add to a coaching resume. I'm kind of surprised that we can't leverage that into contracts that actually bind a coach to fulfill a commitment. If you are going to benefit from coaching as a Saban assistant, and you sign a three year contract, that ought to be something that could be relied on.

I have no idea what time period Daboll committed to, maybe the agreement was they would try it out for a year, then either side could end it. My guess is Saban would not hire someone who is going to be looking for a better job within a year or two unless that's the only way he could get them, and I don't imagine Saban needs any particular person that badly.

I have the radio interview from a different thread in mind, where they explain Saban had hoped to get 3 years out of Pruitt as OC, then the good recruiting assistant could take over. With Pruitt taking a job after only two years, it seems to have put Saban in a bind. If I had been Pruitt's advisor, I would have suggested he stick with the winning alma mater job a third year, get the assistant ready to replace you, then see what jobs are out there. It may not have been Tennessee available next season, but I'm betting there would have been good job openings then.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Being one of Saban's assistants is such a valuable thing to be able to add to a coaching resume. I'm kind of surprised that we can't leverage that into contracts that actually bind a coach to fulfill a commitment. If you are going to benefit from coaching as a Saban assistant, and you sign a three year contract, that ought to be something that could be relied on.

I have no idea what time period Daboll committed to, maybe the agreement was they would try it out for a year, then either side could end it. My guess is Saban would not hire someone who is going to be looking for a better job within a year or two unless that's the only way he could get them, and I don't imagine Saban needs any particular person that badly.

I have the radio interview from a different thread in mind, where they explain Saban had hoped to get 3 years out of Pruitt as OC, then the good recruiting assistant could take over. With Pruitt taking a job after only two years, it seems to have put Saban in a bind. If I had been Pruitt's advisor, I would have suggested he stick with the winning alma mater job a third year, get the assistant ready to replace you, then see what jobs are out there. It may not have been Tennessee available next season, but I'm betting there would have been good job openings then.
With generational wealth being guaranteed at a school that has committed totally to your success? Pretty tough to pass on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011

Kiffin was already the OC when Bama lost in the sugar bowl to OSU.
Would not give the ball to DH when the Buckeyes had no answer for him, either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

Just watching Saban and Daboll interact toward the end of the season, I think it was pretty obvious Saban would be encouraging Daboll to find another job. Saban has a plan. I’m betting we hire an OC pretty quickly. I wonder if the young Briles at FAU would be a candidate. We already have Werner on staff as an offensive consultant. Also, Chris Wenke is on staff. I think Saban hires these guys as consultants with intentions of hiring them full time when a spot opens up.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

It's normally a two year contract, but there's not much point in trying to hold on to someone who wants to be somewhere else. I understand this'll be a close decision...

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

Just watching Saban and Daboll interact toward the end of the season, I think it was pretty obvious Saban would be encouraging Daboll to find another job. Saban has a plan. I’m betting we hire an OC pretty quickly. I wonder if the young Briles at FAU would be a candidate. We already have Werner on staff as an offensive consultant. Also, Chris Wenke is on staff. I think Saban hires these guys as consultants with intentions of hiring them full time when a spot opens up.
I thought I read somewhere that Werner was gone?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

It's normally a two year contract, but there's not much point in trying to hold on to someone who wants to be somewhere else. I understand this'll be a close decision...
I believe I understand the situation. And you are certainly correct.

When a coach takes a two year contract to coach under Saban, adding that plum to their resume, I would like to see a clause that prevents them from taking another coaching job until the two year commitment has run its term. They could quit, but would not be able to simply jump ship for a better job until the time they had committed to coach at Bama had expired.

But then how could Saban dump a bad coach after trying them out one year?

It's a complicated issue, but coaches like to set a good example to young men, and I think breaking contracts for better jobs suggests to the young men that integrity can be bought or sold if the price is high enough.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.