NFL insider Ian Rapoport says Brian Daboll could return to NFL as an OC (Update: Hired by Buffalo)

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Re: NFL insider Ian Rapoport says Brian Daboll could return to NFL as an OC

Funny how with one good half of Tua our opinions of Daboll go from, "Is he even capable of being an OC?" to, "How soon will he be an NFL OC?" :D
Yeah I think alot of opinions are based on seeing maybe what the full playbook looks like with all weapons included. I'd like to see a full year of this myself . We have so much turnover going on right now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Funny how with one good half of Tua our opinions of Daboll go from, "Is he even capable of being an OC?" to, "How soon will he be an NFL OC?" :D
I think that most of the criticism was tied to him calling plays that played to strengths that Jalen simply did not possess. When Tua stepped in, those plays worked. But Jalen isn't Tua, so the calls should have reflected their differences (IMO).

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

I think that most of the criticism was tied to him calling plays that played to strengths that Jalen simply did not possess. When Tua stepped in, those plays worked. But Jalen isn't Tua, so the calls should have reflected their differences (IMO).
That, and he is coaching like he’s still in the NFL. In college, not every game needs to end in a field goal...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

That, and he is coaching like he’s still in the NFL. In college, not every game needs to end in a field goal...
As he was calling plays to set up for the FG attempt at the end of the 4th qtr I was beside myself. It was as if he didn't understand the difference between college and NFL FG kickers. Alabama could very well have ended the game in regulation if Daboll had continued to call the plays aggressively.

But, for me, that is hard to lay at his feet. Saban knows that Daboll is not a college OC. If he wanted different play calls, he should have said something. So maybe Saban was happy with those decisions and trusted Papps. After all, Papps was 14/15 on FG attempts inside 40 yards.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

SIAP, but do you think Kevin Sumlin would consider the OC job? I think he would bring a lot to the table. Not sure if he is going to be a HC somewhere else.
I would love to have him in T-Town even for just a year.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Could see Daboll going back to NE if/when McDaniels gets a head coaching gig.

Could also see him going with Pat's DC Matt Patricia when he gets a HC gig (reportedly going to Detroit).

Something to consider, though, is Daboll's family. His wife gave birth to their sixth child in September. Maybe she doesn't want to move and settle the family down for a little while.
I keep hearing from several different sources that Daboll is restive but his wife doesn't want to move. Be interesting how that turns out...

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

I was perturbed at first to hear that Sark was leaving so soon - I think it was more of an "oh not again" thing. But of course we could hardly do better than a championship with the guy we have, and of course I want him to stay. I am very surprised about Earl's G2 that Daboll is ready to move on.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I keep hearing from several different sources that Daboll is restive but his wife doesn't want to move. Be interesting how that turns out...
Could be like Rich Rod to Alabama was. Once Rita put her foot down it was over.
Man am I grateful she thought Alabama wasn't a good career move...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Odd that Daboll finds himself in the same spot that Gus did this year.

Most of their fans were ready to run him off until they beat Alabama...
THEN...
Auburn gave him a 7 year contract worth a reported $49,000,000.

A lot of our fans quickly changed their tune when they saw the Daboll Offense executed by Tua.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Here's how that normally works out and I'll use a personal example

Proclamations I've made over the years and by goodness I meant THEM!!!!

1. We're only having three kids (I've got five)

2. I'm never getting a van (Just bought a 12 passenger Nissan NV last year)

3. After "this" dog dies we're not getting any more dogs. (We've had three dogs and a cat since)

I could list about ten to twelve more but I'd hate for y'all to start thinking I don't run my household.

In other words, what "mama" wants "mama" normally gets.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

As he was calling plays to set up for the FG attempt at the end of the 4th qtr I was beside myself. It was as if he didn't understand the difference between college and NFL FG kickers. Alabama could very well have ended the game in regulation if Daboll had continued to call the plays aggressively.

But, for me, that is hard to lay at his feet. Saban knows that Daboll is not a college OC. If he wanted different play calls, he should have said something. So maybe Saban was happy with those decisions and trusted Papps. After all, Papps was 14/15 on FG attempts inside 40 yards.
I would be shocked if the overall strategy of playing for TD or FG was not Saban's call. Remember too, that AP had hit his last 2 FGs in the game, including a 43 yarder. IMO, his primary concern was that when you play for a FG in that situation you have full control of the clock and can run it out. If you play for a TD, you can't control when you score, assuming you do.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Have I missed an update or is this still the speculation that's been circulating for several weeks?Any new news?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.