What Changes with Tua as Likely Starter?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Since the board has pretty much collectively accepted they believe Tua will likely start next season (AND) assuming this is correct, how does that impact things going forward?

I'm sure I'll miss a few things or not consider some other things, but here goes my take:

1. Defending us just got ALOT harder. Every play in Daboll's playbook (and probably some he'll invent or add) will suddenly be at his disposal. It's exciting even imagining it.

2. Run game gets even better. With the good news of Damien coming back and our other stars like Najee the running lanes are going to be even wider with the opposing LBs and secondaries having to truly respect our downfield passing game.

3. Threat of QB runs or scrambles gets more dangerous. Yes, I believe that. Teams had figured out how to defend and guard against Jalen's running threat. Now, with Tua's skills, if the patterns are covered or pocket breaks down he's got good wheels to burn them AND he is also lethal throwing on the run. And they can't afford to spy him and let receivers go uncovered!

4. We can afford to get into a shootout again. Not that our defense usually needs us to bail them out, but now we know we can if we encounter a hot QB playing out of his mind.

5. Recruiting gets easier. Might should have put this #1 because it's the most pertinent part of the discussion. The fear of losing some of our skill guys was greater than a lot of us thought and the inability to recruit to skill positions was already being affected.

6. I think this whole dynamic will also lead to more NCs and without this development I think we were going to struggle to win the big games.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Who said Daboll will be back? NFL Teams are inquiring about his availability. I want to see what happens with our personnel before answering this question.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Third down conversions, Lord willing. That will sustain drives, allowing the defense to rest and receive coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Who said Daboll will be back? NFL Teams are inquiring about his availability. I want to see what happens with our personnel before answering this question.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Nah, it's CNS's offense and even if he leaves I'm pretty sure the direction of the offense has been set.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
From a layman perspective I'd expect pretty gaudy numbers.

Considering how Tua arrived onto the national consciousness he's certainly on the Heisman shortlist beginning the year.

Also, I'd see our passing YPG allowed per game take a hit because we'd be ahead so often, so quickly - but sack numbers would go way, way up.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
With Tua at the helm, the offense will open up more and be more dynamic, more WR's will become involved in the offense, and we won't see as many 3-and-outs against top defenses.

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA
3. Threat of QB runs or scrambles gets more dangerous. Yes, I believe that. Teams had figured out how to defend and guard against Jalen's running threat. Now, with Tua's skills, if the patterns are covered or pocket breaks down he's got good wheels to burn them AND he is also lethal throwing on the run. And they can't afford to spy him and let receivers go uncovered!
I agree that Tua will be able to use his legs to create more passing opportunities, but I don't think that the QB runs will necessarily be more dangerous. When at his best, Jalen had a power running style comparable to Cam or Tebow imo. Even with added running space due to the threat of his arm, it will be awfully tough for him to replicate that type of running production. Either way, he shouldn't need to if his passing opens up space for the RBs like most expect. Can't wait to watch it all unfold next season.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Regardless of who's the OC, I would assume the playbook will be a little more open and dynamic. I think both sides of the ball benefit from.that. I also think a case for a positive impact in recruiting may not be out of the question as well especially in the wr area. RTR

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
RBs get more carries, WRs get more catches, offense gets more yards and points.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Since the board has pretty much collectively accepted they believe Tua will likely start next season (AND) assuming this is correct, how does that impact things going forward?

I'm sure I'll miss a few things or not consider some other things, but here goes my take:

1. Defending us just got ALOT harder. Every play in Daboll's playbook (and probably some he'll invent or add) will suddenly be at his disposal. It's exciting even imagining it.

2. Run game gets even better. With the good news of Damien coming back and our other stars like Najee the running lanes are going to be even wider with the opposing LBs and secondaries having to truly respect our downfield passing game.

4. We can afford to get into a shootout again. Not that our defense usually needs us to bail them out, but now we know we can if we encounter a hot QB playing out of his mind.

5. Recruiting gets easier. Might should have put this #1 because it's the most pertinent part of the discussion. The fear of losing some of our skill guys was greater than a lot of us thought and the inability to recruit to skill positions was already being affected.

6. I think this whole dynamic will also lead to more NCs and without this development I think we were going to struggle to win the big games.
As to your point on him scrambling, I agree and I think teams would be unwise to under estimate his rushing . He averaged around 50 yards rushing a game between his high school years at around 6.5 yards a carry . He's very capable

Last edited:

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I'm interested to see how Jalen could still be incorporated into the offense. He's a dynamic runner and brings a lot of versatility. I'm very interested to see how it unfolds because, God forbid, Tua got injured in a game. He's not a big beast like Cam Newton. This would almost be like Ohio State a few years ago when they had two or three legitimate quarterbacks ready to go. If we play our cards right, there's no telling how good this offense could be in 2018.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
As to your point on him scrambling, I agree and I think teams would be unwise to under estimate his rushing . He averaged around 50 yards rushing a game between his high school years at around 6.5 yards a carry . He's very capable
Absolutely but I worry about injury with his playing style. I know injuries are part of the game and having a guy like Jalen to be able to come in in a pinch would be awesome.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Most definitely. He was averaging 6 yards per carry THIS year before that 16 yard sack. His sample stats this year are INSANE.

Passing: 49 for 77 (63.6%) 636 yards with 11 TD's and 2 INT's and a 175 QBR
Rushing:27 carries for 133 yards 4.9 YPC and 2 TD's

That is basically just 2.5 games worth of reps and about 300 Total yards per game at a 250/50 split.

He reminds me so much of Russell Wilson and I could easily see Tua averaging 275 yards passing and 3 TD's per game and 40-50 yards rushing and 1 TD per game and that's me being conservative with a prediction. I think he will consistently drop 300+ Total Yards and 4+ Total TD's per game.

He's going to Rip the Single Season... Passing, Total yardage, and TD records to SHREDS. It would be dreaming to expect him to stay and start 3 full years but IF he does he will take ALL of AJ's records down. This Kid is SPECIAL.....BIGTIME!!!

I can't wait until next season already.... Tua, Damien, Najee, Josh, B-Rob, Jeudy, Ruggs, and DeVonta Smith etc etc....

We are going to WRECK people on Offense now.... I'm pure Giddy.

You ready for Back-to-Back and 3 out of 4 AGAIN?? I am!!

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

^^^^^ This. This. This. This. And This... ^^^^^

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Most definitely. He was averaging 6 yards per carry THIS year before that 16 yard sack. His sample stats this year are INSANE.

Passing: 49 for 77 (63.6%) 636 yards with 11 TD's and 2 INT's and a 175 QBR
Rushing:27 carries for 133 yards 4.9 YPC and 2 TD's

That is basically just 2.5 games worth of reps and about 300 Total yards per game at a 250/50 split.

He reminds me so much of Russell Wilson and I could easily see Tua averaging 275 yards passing and 3 TD's per game and 40-50 yards rushing and 1 TD per game and that's me being conservative with a prediction. I think he will consistently drop 300+ Total Yards and 4+ Total TD's per game.

He's going to Rip the Single Season... Passing, Total yardage, and TD records to SHREDS. It would be dreaming to expect him to stay and start 3 full years but IF he does he will take ALL of AJ's records down. This Kid is SPECIAL.....BIGTIME!!!

I can't wait until next season already.... Tua, Damien, Najee, Josh, B-Rob, Jeudy, Ruggs, and DeVonta Smith etc etc....

We are going to WRECK people on Offense now.... I'm pure Giddy.

You ready for Back-to-Back and 3 out of 4 AGAIN?? I am!!

Here's a little clip I had not seen yet , Saban discussing Tuas third down escape and his ability to use his legs. There's a little comedy in there too:)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ui5-732MH8

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.