Bama hires former ATM SpecialTeams coach Jeff Banks to same role

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Great hire, Aggy has had some problems but I always thought their special teams were a well prepped unit under Sumlin. This means the DC will almost certainly be an internal selection and likely Tupoi. Wouldn't be surprised if we have a co-DC situation though.

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
This means the DC will almost certainly be an internal selection and like Tupoi.
Not necessarily. In theory, he is the 10th assistant, Pete replaces Ansley who is going to the Raiders. We still need an ILB coach.

I still think it goes to Tosh but, you never know what Saban May do. I trust he will make the best choice.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I also like the fact that he will have massive Texas recruiting connections among the high school coaches in Texas. You can bet Tennessee will improve in recruiting, I expect Florida to be better under Mullen, and UGA is recruiting at a high level too. It will be interesting to see how ole slimy Kirby does when he doesn't have our recruiting board, and CNS doesn't retire in 2018. This hire could give us the opportunity to pull some studs out of Texas. I think LSU is on the way down as well, and they pull quite a few from Texas. The door could be open to have a bigger impact recruiting in the Lone Star state.

MightyWingman

1st Team
Jun 9, 2010
Houston, TX
We tried to keep him and I am 100% sure that Jimbo made him an offer to stay. He's a great ST coach and has done very, very well with our kickers/punters. He is also a great recruiter and was our recruiting coordinator. You will grow to love him, just give him time. Edited to add, he loves to recruit California and Arizona.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Great hire, Aggy has had some problems but I always thought their special teams were a well prepped unit under Sumlin. This means the DC will almost certainly be an internal selection and likely Tupoi. Wouldn't be surprised if we have a co-DC situation though.

I was thinking this as well, since it's been mentioned that Saban may have concerns with Tosh setting the db's
I'm wondering if this is where Golden comes into play basically forming a co-cordinator situation.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So glad to hear that good help is on the way with our fg kickers.

And then sounds like he's a master recruiter.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
We tried to keep him and I am 100% sure that Jimbo made him an offer to stay. He's a great ST coach and has done very, very well with our kickers/punters. He is also a great recruiter and was our recruiting coordinator. You will grow to love him, just give him time. Edited to add, he loves to recruit California and Arizona.
One of my best friends sons is best friends with aTm’s punter, Shane Tripucka. He loved Banks. Has tweeted positive remarks about what BAMA is getting. His dad tweeted “that was Jimbo’s first mistake, could not afford to let him go”

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Finally! Maybe I won't have heart palpitations, sweating and a nervous breakdown whenever we line up to kick a FG.
I don't know about Banks in particular, but ST coaches don't typically teach technique to punters or PK. More often, they coach protection and coverage schemes and execution.

Point being, I'd be surprised if Banks will help your palpitations. I think that's a recruiting problem, not a coaching one.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.